Any 550/575's(U.S.)mounted a front plate? | FerrariChat

Any 550/575's(U.S.)mounted a front plate?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Wyo550, Apr 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wyo550

Wyo550 Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2005
    Laramie
    Full Name:
    John
    Having now been busted in Wyoming for not having a front license plate on my 550, I'm preparing for the worst and wondering who else has had to create a bracket or some bogus grid to mount a license plate on the front of their 550 or 575? Of all the pictures I've seen of these cars, worldwide, I think I've only seen one (European) with a plate, mounted low along the airdam.
    According to Wyoming statute, the only legal place for me to "mount" the plate is to drill into the top edge of the bumper and block the water cooling air flow.
    I'm inclined to just eat $50 fines, one after another. Tomorrow, I'm looking for someone in the state government who can authorize an exemption for my car. But beyond that, I'm expecting the worst and wondering who's already mounted a plate on the front of their car (maybe you have a photo?) Thanks!
    http://www.LaserRadio.com/550.html

2. Wyo550

Wyo550 Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2005
    Laramie
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 Wyo550, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a photo, showing what Wyoming law requires me to do.
    The front plate has to be 12 inches off the pavement, horizontal and secure--which I don't think screwing it into the top of the bumper will make it. So, my argument with the "authorities" is that I can't comply with the law and should therefore leave Wyoming and move to another state? Yea right...or maybe I sell the Ferrari and get a pickup truck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Wyo550

Wyo550 Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2005
    Laramie
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 Wyo550, Apr 27, 2005
    Here's the exact wording of the Wyoming front plate statute and three possible ways for me to mount a front plate to comply with "the letter of the law".

I'm inclined to put it on the front side (bottom view) and argue like hell with any cop (and judge) that the statute is so poorly written as to be unenforceable in this instance and open to biased ticketing by subjective police like "Richard" who pulled me over and said (three times so I'd get the point) "Your car is no different that a Toyota". That's right Richard, Toyota's lead designer, Mr. D'Aprile, is the man who designed the 550! So, you're right! They're no different at all.

There are probably 1,000 jeeps and BS offroad monsters rolling around Laramie alone-- without front plates-- but Dick...er Richard...had a point to make: Nobody's above the law! I sure learned my lesson!

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I don't remember what's in the nose above the grill on the 550, but if it's your goal to comply with the law, and give the finger to them at the same time, call my friend Dave Finn, a chopper builder in Sparkill New York.

Dave developed a retracting license plate frame for motorcycles which allows one, at the touch of a botton, to make the license plate disappear. Altogether. Hidden (in the case of a bike, it retracts under the rear fender) until you press the button again.
    Then, if you actually stop for the police- hey don't yell at me, i just know some of these guys would keep going, and without a license plate, well, one biker ******* looks just like another, right? -you press the button, and Voila! Well, i'm sorry you didn't see the license plate officer. Maybe it's those chromed -out Raybans you're wearing - they are sooo coool! Now, as a lawyer, i would never advocate that you do this. But, it does pay to be fully informed. Particularly since the retractable frame may still comply with certain state statutes that require a permanently affixed plate X inches from the ground. Unless said statute also requires that said plate be "at all times visible." If you get what i mean....

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #5 Texas Forever, Apr 27, 2005
    Not the best pic. But here is the laminated paper plate affixed to a bra. Again, it looked real enough so that no one ever questioned it.

Dale

6. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Wyo550 - didn't know you had that many trees in Wyoming

7. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I do know some people who put the plate on the inside of the front windshield. It is over 12" off the ground and visable.