Mystery P4 photos | FerrariChat

Mystery P4 photos

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by P4Replica, May 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #1 P4Replica, May 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I’d like, if I may, to enlist the help of the real experts, the likes of Marcel Massini who sometimes frequent these forums in positively identifying some old photos of a P4 (or maybe P4’s) – ideally down to chassis #; ownership (obviously) and the location and approximate date (nearest year) that they were taken ….

About a month ago, I was kindly sent some (fairly low-res) scans of these photos, by a US contact, who, in turn, was given the original photos from the estate of a late friend of his – Randy Barry of Maurader Cars. All he knows is that they were ‘taken in Europe’ (that little old country ;) ) sometime in the 70’s or ‘80’s. He isn’t certain (as I'm not, either) if they are even photos of the same car(s) – taken at different stages of restoration.

Since then, I have touted these photos around various people who I thought might have been able to help identify the car (or the premises – from the dark grey slate? quarry tiles on the floor) – including:
    David Piper; Geoff Shilton (of Shiltech Performance Cars, who worked on the restoration of #0856 at Graypaul Motors in ’74); Rob Wilson of RM Wilson Engineering, who was a close personal friend of David Clarke, and has many photos of #0856’s restoration; Terry Hoyle, who last week took prints of the photos over to show Pierre Bardinon, and a few other ‘Cognoscenti’, including FerrariChat’s own Wayne Ausbrooks.

Most of these people have helped, in one way or another, by telling me what these photos are NOT of, but no-one has, as yet, come up with a positive ID.
    The latest suggestion, that I have been given, was that some of the photos were of #0856 being restored during Albert Obrist’s ownership – something that I was previously unaware of.
    Here are some of the clues that I have considered (some obvious – some not so) ….

First group of 4 photos shows what appears to be a P4 spyder being restored using a 412P berlinetta tail section. The bodywork above the rear window has already been flattened out in the area of the ‘basket handle’ and filled. David Piper said that he organised the supply of a 412P berlinetta (or P3 coupe, as he put it) tail section to Bardinon, to assist in his conversion of #0860 from a 350 Can-Am to its present P4 spyder configuration.
    Others, who have seen these photos, have said that the tail section appears to be fibreglass – albeit thin fibreglass. There certainly is plenty of filler dust lying around. That points to a comment made, a while ago, by Jay Felter about the (large) amount of filler that was taken out of #0856 during its most recent restoration (in 2004) by Bob Smith Coachworks.
    Please note the dark grey floor tiles in these photos. Shame the scans weren’t in higher resolution – it would have been much easier if one could have read the language in those old newspaper headlines !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #2 P4Replica, May 1, 2005
    Not much is to be learned from the next group of four (unless you are very familiar with the peculiarities of individual P4 K/O spinners !)
    From the underside of the rear bodywork the car would appear to have air ducting for P4 fuel injection. It also has a central rivetted ‘blanking panel’, where the carbs would protrude through the rear deck panel on a 412P. The light grey coloured flexible brake ducting and what appears to be ‘duck-egg blue’ paint under the rear bodywork points to #0856, yet a couple of the persons mentioned in post #1 have categorically stated that it isn’t #0856 being restored by Graypaul Motors.
    Tantalisingly, there is an indiscernable glimpse of what could be the car’s chassis tag on the right hand rear chassis tube !

3. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #3 P4Replica, May 1, 2005
    The third group of photos provides more clues. What is the car in the background under the cover ? A ’57 250TR ? Or maybe a 335S – as owned by both Bardinon and Obrist ? Note the remains of what could be a black #23 painted on the car’s sill. Again, this could point to #0856 – but apparently it is not. Lastly – the painted nose clip with the #23 roundel immediately shouts ‘#0856’. But maybe not …. Comparing it to photos of the #23 carried by #0856 during David Clarke’s ownership the roundel is slightly smaller, and positioned differently. In a slightly larger version of this photo, the same axle stands supporting the ‘tub’ can be seen behind the nose clip. Lastly Pierre Bardinon NEVER has had roundels or numbers painted on his cars, apparently.
    Over to you, Gentlemen ….

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I wish I could help you out, but I must say these are really cool pictures just to look at. Do you have anymore like these that you could post for all of us to see? I really like seeing old race cars in various states of disrepair, sitting in old shops etc. Thanks for the pictures!!

5. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Sorry, No .... I wish I did have, it would make it easier to 'piece together' the mystery.
    Needless to say - that was the question that I asked of the person who emailed them to me ....
    Unfortunately, he hasn't. :(

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    All you had to mention was Randy Berry. They are 0856. Randy went over to make an offer on the car on my behalf and wound up buying David Clarke's last un finished GTO replica after Ferrari shut David Clarke's replica GTO building down. At the time David was asking 1 million US for 0856 (approximately 1984) I remember him stating:" If a Picasso is worth 1 million than my P4 is." I agreed but wound up buying a Picasso instead. (For some what less but that is a different story). If Randy took these photo's and now that you mention his name I remember seeing them before, then this is definitely 0856.

BTW Randy was dishonest, incompetent, and a thief. Many of us raised a glass when we heard he died.

Best

7. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    So why didn't you say that when I emailed you them in the first place, Jim ?
    Would have saved me a LOT of phone calls (and typing), LOL !
    But ....
    You say 'approximately 1984' - David Clarke's restoration was carried out by Graypaul motors in 1974. Plus other people involved in it, categorically state that is not Graypaul's restoration of #0856 that is shown in the photos.
    Me ? I reckon it's the REAL '#0846' (in hiding) .... LOL ! :D

Regardless, Jim - not good to speak ill of the dead ...

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul

I spoke ill of Randy while he was alive. I also filed a criminal complaint against him. Randy dealt with David Clarke for many years. Randy wanted to build a replica P4 in addition to his replica Lola's, Mclaren's, and 512M's. The reason I didn't mention it before was you didn't mention Randy so I didn't make the connection. Randy defineately could have been over there in 1974.
    As for it being 0846 you of all people should by now know the difference between a P4 and a P3 Chassis.

Best

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    As an aside Randy gave me lot's of photo's as well. I'll look through them and see if I have any like these. I bet I do. I also bet they have the date on the back.
    Best

10. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    R.I.P. Randy Berry of Marauder Cars - See: http://www.kitcar.com/marauder/home.html with my apologies for getting his surname slightly wrong.
    So maybe the top four photos aren't of the same car as the next two sets. Possibly that IS a P4 replica.
    Thank you for pointing me in the RIGHT direction, Jim. I'd still like to positively identify the photos, though ....
    And I trust you knew I was only joking ! Gotta inject some humo(u)r here and there, every now and then, Jim ! :D

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    Took a look. The only Ferrari Photo's I have from Randy are the ones of the real GTO in the field that we once took a look at in Ohio.

Someone told me that all of Randy's stuff is about to be sold off and if you know anyone in the area they might find some photo's at that sale.

Randy never finished the "GTO" he bought from David CLarke. I think it wound up in Florida.

The Number 23, Berry, I really think these are photo's of 0856. Could the people you spoke to be wrong? Could this have been something on the side to pull a mould for Berry's replica projects? Ask them again esp. about the time aroung David Clarke was making replica GTO's.

Best

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    Of cousre I knew you were joking. So was I.
    Best (Truely)

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    You're right about the first four photo's. Look at the floor. Square tiles. I believe that is fiberglass.
    Cheers!

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Also look at the square tubing in the first four photo's not P4. Different shop.

15. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #15 P4Replica, May 1, 2005
    With Jim's help, maybe I'm (in part) answering my own questions ....
    Thinking aloud - If the car in the top four photos (in post #1) IS a replica, not of a P4, but of a 412P ....
    I wonder, then, if it is an earlier incarnation of this 412P 'reproduction', shown by a gentleman from Oregon, in the infield at Monterey, last August ....
    Which also appears to have aluminium centre section, with front and tail clips in fibreglass ....
    And may also be connected to this 'ex-David Piper fibreglass P4 bodwork' that appeared on eBay a few years back. Hmmm .... :) Bingo ?

16. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    With Ray Jones?

17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #17 P4Replica, May 1, 2005
    That's another one you should have bought when you had the chance, Jim - 3589GT - see photos below:
    - From the same source as the P4 photos .... possibly also taken by Randy Berry.
    I wouldn't have thought so, Jim, but not knowing - either way, was the reason I finally decided to post them to FerrariChat - to solicit other opinions.
    See my previous post. You're getting ahead of me, Jim ! :D

18. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #18 P4Replica, May 1, 2005
    Don't think that's the chassis, per sé, Jim - more something of a 'jig' to support and align the various body sections while they were being worked on. A bit like the one you have, but a lot heavier ...

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    Who do you think is standing next to 3589 wearing the red lo cons/chucktaylor's?
    C'est moi.

The car in Monterey isn't a 412P replica. Look at the tail. The line of the bottom of the side of the tail is NOT on a line with the bottom of the door.
    It is P4 not P3/412P.

The car in Monterey is the car that my old friend Max spoke of when he stated that David Piper had told him that the P4 blueprints given to him by Enzo Ferrari along with permission to make one continuation chassis (0900)
    had been used four times.
    1. 0900
    2. 0003
    3. "0900A"
    4. Recently for a person in the US. (The Car in Monterey confirmed by that person to me)

Now those who've read my 100 pages know that #2 is incorrect. The chassis in my car is not built to P4 blueprints. It is a P3 chassis modified as per 0846's factory build sheets to accept a P4 engine and shorten it's wheel base from P3 2412mm to P4 2400mm.

There was only one P3 Spyder 0846. When it was turned into a P 3/4 by Ferrari it retained it's P3 tail bottom side/door bottom line.
    As you know the Spyder tail fitted to 0854 is P3. I still believe it is either off of 0846, a factory spare for 0846, or beaten off of 0846's P3 Spyder tail buck
    by Allegretti.
    When it arrives it will be very interesting to see how it is stamped. Remember
    Marcel's statement in my 100 pages?
    Check it out and note that he remembered a body with 0846 stamped into it...

I believe Jones was the name who wound up with David Clarke's replica GTO body,chassis, and engine.

Best

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    I wondered, Jim .... but that guy has hair. LOL ! :D

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    In fact, it's neither, Jim. The words "1967 Ferrari 412-P 'reconstruction'" come from the owner's banner at the back of the marquee. It does have some 412P-esque features about it, though - the rear window shape, and the carburettor 'hump' being the most obvious ....

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #22 Napolis, May 1, 2005
    Do you have photo's showing the difference between 0846's P 3/4 tail and 0856's P4 spyder tail?

These are photo's that Lee Holman took at Le Mans of 0854, 0856, and J6.
    Cheers!

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I think you are right about what happened to the ebay Piper fiberglass.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As for "1967 Ferrari 412-P 'reconstruction'" I didn't realize there was an unaccounted one of those...

25. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Not a well-lit rear 3/4 shot of #0846, Jim - which is what we need. But I'm working on it. ;)
    Nice one of #0856, Jim ! Thanks for posting - makes a pleasant change to see it without the front N/S wing and headlight bashed in !