Installing speakers in a 355 | FerrariChat

Installing speakers in a 355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by srwhitman, May 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srwhitman

srwhitman Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Whitman
    Hi folks,
    I noticed that various folks recommend certain types of stereo upgrades (lets not get into the engine music vs. music music again). I would like to upgrade my stock speakers. Someone mentioned MB Quarts. Their price is reasonable. However, I spoke with an installer and he said it would take about 6 hours and he wanted to charge me $1000. That seems utterly ridiculous to me. The wiring can't be that hard. Actually, it shouldn't need any wiring at all as the speakers are already there - I just have to replace them.

I tried looking through archives to see if anyone has done this themselves and haven't found anything so far. So, has anyone installed speakers themselves? I know the dash has tweeters and woofers are in the doors. What would be the procedure to get to them? I am worried about removing something that will either rip or require some sort of replacement that I wouldn't know about. I've removed door panels on other cars but I don't know anything bout this one and don't want to try just prying things off if they are riveted or attached in some way that will make me want to rip my hair out.

Any suggestions?

Scott

2. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Did you get any help with this?

I'm curious as I am considering a similar upgrade.

-Michael

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you have a helper, you could swap the door speakers in 30 or 40 minutes on each side. Probably 20 minutes a side for the tweeters (the grills appear to just pry out). Sorry, I have had the door panels off, but not prepared to offer much advice....just progress slowly, remove all the screws and it will lift out.

4. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I installed JL components in my 355 and a seperate amp and new head unit to power them up. You need to be careful wth the depth of the speakers.

Unfortunately- the speakers work in an 'open' environment' behind the air scoop in the door and I found you can speand a lot of money and the difference is minimal! save the cash!!

5. srwhitman

srwhitman Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Whitman
    Hey 355f,
    Are you saying after you paid the money to get better components that it wasn't worth it? Did you get a subwoofer? The local stereo place that specializes in these cars also wanted something like $4K to make a custom made enclosure for a subwoofer to install in the driver side under the pedals. They said that was the best place that was the least obtrusive. On my Lotus, I have an alpine amp and a Bazooka subwoofer. The subwoofer just fits in behind the seats and I just lay it there. Its visible and isn't the best thing but since its self contained, who cares. But, on these cars, there is no real room behind the seats which kind of sucks.

davehanda,
    I am still a little reluctant to remove the panel on the door. I haven't looked yet though (car is in the shop at the moment) - are you saying its pretty evident? You don't have to go removing glue or peeling the carpet - its just screws? Does it require an assistant or are you saying its just faster to do it with someone else?

Scott

6. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Im saying that the performance of in car hifi is more dependant on the acoustic environment of the car than the items you are fitting.

The doors on the 355 are an open environment this is the worst case for a speaker. Im saying its not worth spending the sort of money you are talking about, the difference is minimal. Ok if you put in a subwoofer that will obviously be better bt overall Its a lot of expense and the end result not taht good.

7. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Regarding the open space in the doors.. there's a $2 solution that will take care of it. They're just styrofoam cups that get screwed in behind the speaker. You can even wrap them in duct tape for a more solid enclosure. It seems crazy, but it does make a huge difference. I'll get around to that eventually, along with adding a sub. I was thinking about the space behind the pedals, but I like to put my left foot back there for a little extra leg room. The only other spot I found in the car is behind the top of the passenger seat. There's a nice area on top of the shelft that could easily fit a 6" sub, which is probably all you need for that car.

-R

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Two people will be safer and faster. I just took a door panel off on the 355 for the first time and it was pretty easy, just screws...the middle piece that runs horizontal across has a tab that fits in length wise, so once screws removed it slides off...then the panel itself lifts off, you need to disconnect the window switch as you do this; and where the helper comes in handy...unless you happen to have three or four hands.

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    "Unfortunately- the speakers work in an 'open' environment' behind the air scoop in the door and I found you can speand a lot of money and the difference is minimal! save the cash!!"

A driver does not require a closed back to perform properly.

Performance all depends upon the "Q" of the driver which is the sum total of its electrical and mechanical qualities.

Car speakers have high "Q" factors to compensate for what a low "Q" driver needs in a sealed cushion of air behind it for proper operation.

Get the right advice first and it will pay of handsomely longterm.

OEM speakers are generally very poor quality. Make the right choices first.

10. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    i recently installed myself a nice alpine unit from best buy along with Infinity speakers to get rid of the totally crap stock system. My system has improved from "totally crap" to just "crap" now. I am an audiophile and unless you go the full blown route of a totally custom system with a sub forget about it really! Everyone told me not to do it and I did and it sounds like crap still.
    You really will not hear any difference! trust me.
    I guess the capristo exhaust doesn't help either though!
    gordon

11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    You can take a look at what I am offering!

http://www.dynamtechgroup.com/carAudio.htm

This is the way it should be done. This is audiophile quality, and while what is featured is initially for the 360/430, it can be done for all the models.

As soon as this system is done (very soon) I will start on 348 and 355 systems as well.

The components Gordon mentioned are for the average who does not purchase Ferrari quality vehicles nor who has an understanding of what it takes to produce proper audio.

There are no shortcuts if you want it done right.

The OEM 360/430 drivers are about equal to infinity quality. No advantage to swap them out with the same!

You will be able to self install our systems if you can handle tools and read instructions.

All our connectors come from the OEM Ferrari source and are guaranteed to fit!

I will need a 348 and a 355 in the area to work with, and it will be quite beneficial to its owner if I don't purchase a 348 first!

If any folks are going to Concorso you'll be able to see and hear the system in my 360 coupe and possible a 430 spider that might be there.

Stay in touch.

See also: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99153

12. rmb

rmb Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Portland Or
    Full Name:
    Richard Brehterton
    I recently replaced the stock components with an Alpine head unit, Focal separates in stock locations (no cutting), JL audio amp located up front, two six inch JL subs in between seats (removed storage box and used mounting holes, no cutting of carpets!) and IPOD adapter in storage tray between seats. 2k installed.
    Sounds great, subs definately needed with the top down and hidden with the soft top cover on.

13. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon

sounds interesting.. .Could we see some pics pleaze?
    gordon

14. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I am going through this with the TR right now. I replaced the head unit, it still sounds lousy. I really enjoy listening to some rock n roll while driving, and the poor acoustics are depressing. What have folks done with the TR?

15. rmb

rmb Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Portland Or
    Full Name:
    Richard Brehterton
    #15 rmb, Jul 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. jabramson

jabramson Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Is it a bad thing (looked down upon) to put the door speakers through the carpted area in the doors? My speakers seem to be hitting against the door panels and really screw up the sound. Its a 355 Spider.