Bike Gear | FerrariChat

Bike Gear

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by docdavid, May 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Ha,

So I'm in the process of procuring a bike, (not sure which yet) and am pricing riding gear. As this is my firsy bike I have no idea who makes good stuff, any suggestions. Also, is there a difference between leather and textile gear other than the price? Thanks.

edit: who makes good helmets, or just look for one thats certified

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm sure you will get alot of responses. Here's my take: helmets are critical; buy the best; I have several, and found that i have an Arai head; their helmet simply fits better than the Shoei for me, but others have the opposite experience; there are a number of other reputable brands, but a full face, not a flip up, is the safest.
    I have a ton of different jackets and pants, ranging from superlite mesh/armoured stuff from Joe Rocket, to Dainese leathers that are really meant for racing, with heavy armor, to Draggin' Jeans, which are reinforced with Kevlar. I prefer wearing the leather because i feel safer in it, but it can get hot on 80 degree + days. (when you are moving, it's rarely an issue, because the temp at speed is much, much lower).
    Boots- I have several pairs of boots from Daytona; there are a number of other companies, like Sidi, who also make those spaceman type motorcycle boots; they are reinforced, and are small enough in the toe area to easily manage the gear lever. I also have a set of cruiser boots, which i wear riding the Harley sometimes- they are reinforced, but not as safe as the "tech" type boots, and feel large and clumpy, just like the Harley does. Only advantage- you can walk around in them and look like less of an ass than you do wearing the spaceman boots.
    My recommendation is to find a good outfitter, where you can see and try stuff on; i certainly wouldn't get my first helmet, or boots, online, because fit is critical. Gloves- Helds are nice if you can find them- i have a summer pair of kangaroo, ventilated, with carbon fiber shielding, but most often wear a short black leather pair i got when i got my first bike, a Ducati monster.

3. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    check out motophoria........they have the best leather you'll find!!! they are a younger new company, but the products are top notch!! www.motophoria.com

if you can see/smell/touch the leather in person it is even better.

4. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Make sure to get a helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, and boots.

Helmets- You really need to go to a dealership and try on different helmets for fit, since everyones head is a different shape. First and foremost is fit and comfot, since almost every helmet protects in the same capacity. A more expensive helmet usually means that it's slightly lighter, quieter, and has a more reputable brand name.

Jacket- You might have to choose between leather and textile, but if you have hte means, buy both! Leather jackets are warm and rugged. They'll usually protect you from the rain, and they will be able to offer you the most protection in the event of a crash. Textile jackets are generally lighter and more breathable, which could be a good or bad thing depending on the weather. Textile jackets are usually thrown away after a single crash, and even though they offer some protection, they aren't as tough as a full grain leather jacket, obviously. Both jackets are great choices, and you should be fine as long as you WEAR ONE.

Gloves- Theres mainly 2 types of gloves. Standard, and gauntlet type. In the event that you start sliding down the road on your hands, your jacket sleeve might ride up and you might get some SERIOUS rash up on your wrists. If you're wearing gauntlet type gloves then you will have an increased level of protection, but they aren't for everybody. You don't have to buy into the whole "carbon fiber knuckle" thing. Just make sure that the glove fits well, you have some feeling in your fingers, and the palm area's made up of some durable leather.

Pants- Again, leather or textile. It might be absurd for you to walk around in leather pants, so depending on your comfort level and type of riding, this is purely a personal call. Most people don't go out riding with protective pants anyway, but textile pants are a GREAT idea. I ride around with a pair of Alpinestars whenever I go out, and they aren't even warm in 90* weather. Textile pants breathe very well, and you shouldnt get hot in them. Highly recommended.

Boots- Just look for a pair of comfortable boots that have ANKLE SUPPORT. The most common foot injuries in MC crashes are from feet hitting the ground and twisting around on contact, severely damaging or even shatterying your ankle. You'll want something that has ankle support, but isn't awkward when you're footing around your shifter.

Sorry if I wasn't specific to brand... But the point is, if you take hte initiative and wear your gear, you're already safer than 90% of the riders out there. Buy what feels comfortable, and wear it. If you end up getting something that's too hot or doesn't feel right, you won't wear it. And gear's worthless when its left at home...

Remember, water's cheaper than skin grafts.

5. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    I forgot to mention, I broke my leg in Decemebr (tib and fib) and now its held in place by a metal rod. my surgeon said that if i were a motorcycle racer (his example) they would take the rod out in case of a future rebreak, is there anything that can give added protection against this?

6. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    A guy died up here last night in TO. The idiot decided to take his girl on a ride on his new bike WITH NO HELMET. F***ing moron. Get a good lid.

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I have a friend who's an Orthopedic surgeon. He asks me to always take a dose of antibiotics prior to riding if he's on call. ;)

8. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    armor inside as well.

9. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

As with most things there is a wide range of prices and quality for protective gear. The most expensive isn't always the best, although generally you get what you pay for. Go to several bike shops and try on different articles of clothing and helmets, after a short time you will notice some of the common features on quality gear.

Just a few pointers:
    Helmets: All helmets sold in the US must be DOT approved, but not all are Snell approved. Most good helmets I can think of are all Snell approved. The key thing is to resist fashion if you have a cruiser, and always get a full-face helmet. I hear the skull cap helmet is officially endorsed by the reconstructive plastic surgeons of America, just job security for them. Try on many different brands, sizes vary brand to brand. Get one that is a litle snug when new (padding loosens a little with use). Another important thing is that helmets are designed to work one time. One good hit and they should be replaced regardless of appearence. The polystyrene liner will crush permanently and not be effective again.

Boots: Several brands to choose from, from boy racer replicas with replacable toe sliders, to glorified high top tennis shoes. Simple, leather lace up work boots provide as much protection as you'll likely ever need on the street.

Jacket: Leather or Kevlar is best, but hot in the summer. Real motorcycle grade leather is much thicker and stiffer than normal fashion leather. Make sure the seams are double stitched and extra layers are on the elbows (or armor).

Gloves: Heavy leather with an extended gauntlet. Kevlar knuckles are even better. Next to a helmet, gloves are probably most important thing to always wear. A 10 mph crash can mangle your hands without them.

10. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Some very good advice from the other guy's on gear. Try different types on to get the best comfort as if you go for fashion rather than comfort you could decrease your safety as you will be uncomfortable and not comitted to your riding. I am the Clothing and Accessories Manager in a large Motorcycle dealership so would suggest that you invest wisely Good Luck.. Leather offers the best protection new Kangaroo leather also has the best strength and comfort but does come at a price. Brands to look at
    Helmets- Arai, Suomy, Shoei
    Leathers- Dainese, Arlen Ness, Alpinestars,Frank Thomas etc
    Gloves- Same as Above + Ku****ana
    Boots- Alpinestars, Daytona,Sidi Dainese
    Also Triumph make good kit is you like Triumph bikes corporate image like Harley

11. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Dainese, Vanson and Alipinestars leathers have been good from what I’ve crash tested or my friends have. I have an alpinestars TZ1 1-piece suit that I use for track days and I wear an alpinestars race tech back protector underneath.
    As far as jackets go, I prefer leather or leather / textile mix but the areas that might come in contact with pavement, I’d prefer to have leather as textile can snag, rip and expose the skin underneath; leather wont.
    Helmets- arai all the way; lightest, most comfortable and have the widest eye sockets.
    Gloves are personal preference; I like vanson and held.
    I have sidi boots. They’re all black, armored and very comfortable. They’re not flashy but good enough for track/racing use.
    Don’t cheap out on gear and make sure to get a back protector with your suit or a vest type that you wear in addition to.