BMW Z8 price? | FerrariChat

BMW Z8 price?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by PatrickShim, Jun 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    What do BMW Z8s go for these days?

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Go to www.roadfly.com, cars for sale, there are currently 3 Z8's listed. Roughly 95K to 118K. My neighbor has one, full Dinan Stage 2--the thing is a beast, and I think its faster than a 360. Definitely a nice ride.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    If you are considering one, send Sfumato a note and ask him what to make sure works on the car. His spent months in the shop during his ownership.

4. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    $90k - $125k. (2000 Z8 with 20,000 miles - 2003 Alpina Z8 Pristine)

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What's interesting is how fast they drop to $100k, then surprisingly only trickle down in price $2-5k a year.

6. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Thanks guys!

I saw one parked next to my car the other day, and I loved it... I wasn't really into Z8's before, but when I looked at it carefully, it was a quality built car in terms of the look. I'm not sure how it performs, handles and etc., but looked like a quality car.

7. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    If you're getting a Z8, go for the Non-Alpina versions; they had 19more horsepower, a stick, and were about 1/2 a sec quicker to 60. The car is absolutely stunning. For $90k, that's without a doubt where my money would be. (Am I allowed to say that on a Ferrari board, since 355's are going for $90k? haha)

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Several road tests of the time had the Z8 and 360 very, very close on the track (my neighbor reminds me of this ALL THE TIME). True "go faster" mods are cheaper than the equivalent items for 355/360, service is more widely available, etc. For under 100K, they deserve a serious look from anyone interested in an fast convertible.

9. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    One of the cars on my wish list. I have some seat time and the z8 is about even with the 360 coupe and a tick faster than the spyder in a straight line, about 2 tenths quicker in the 1/4 mile. More torgue too.
    With same professional driver the 360 lapped Thunderhill at 2:09.25 and the Z8 lapped the same track at 2:13.35, so the 360 is much more nimble. Both great cars. I like the exterior lines and build quality of the Z8 but find the interior, especially the dash, cold and not too appealing. Beautiful ride though and a great touring car.

10. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    There have been a couple of cars listed on EBay recently with 'buy it now' prices below 90k. I think it a great buy at under 100k.

11. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    You mean the Alpina versions are automatic!?!?!

No way I'm getting the Alpina version....

12. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I find the Z8 my favorite looking modern BMW. I'm suprised that they hold their value so well since they only cost about 125k new. Will definitely hop into one when it drops below 40k.

It's what the Z4 should have looked like.

13. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    It is the highest quality car I have ever owned, and I'm very sorry that I sold it. For the money (~$100K), there is no car I would rather have. And, I would put the RMS Supercharger kit on it, making over 600hp.

Asianbond, the Z8 will never drop below $40K. Never

14. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Was able to get behind the seat of one a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it- great power source (M5 V8= 395hp), comfortable, and beautiful..

Down Sides:
    - Retaining it's value too well @ $85-110k, pretty expensive still
    - Can and is mistaken for the Z3/Z4.. Most people don't know what it is (which could be a good thing also)
    - Dashboard seems to be made of a cheap plastic material
    - I don't have enough $$ to pick one up today :)

Really loved the car but don't think I could justify buying it used for the same price of a 996TT..

15. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    The fact that it is mistaken for a Z4/Z3 could be a good thing for low-key owners. Attention gets old fast, and I like cars that fly low under the radar.

The material on the dash is a composite material, and is certainly not cheap plastic. My opinion is the dash looks stunning in the Z8, possibly the nicest I have ever seen.

The Z8 is far more special of a car than a 996TT. And, for around $6K, you can put a supercharger on the Z8 (RMS systems for M5's and Z8's), resulting in straight-line annihilation of just about any car on the road.

I can't say enough good about the Z8. I liked it better than the 360 Spider, even though it's half the cost.

16. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Maybe the 'cheap' feeling interior could've just been the wear as the car had 50k miles and wasn't kept in great shape.

Regardless, I loved the car.

17. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have driven a few cars and have to admit my favorite car of all time is the Z8. It is the one car i NEVER plan on selling.

18. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home

19. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Very true. That's why I just sold it. Couldn't stand the overwhelming attention.

20. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Sold it!? Too bad!

What were the specs on it, if you don't mind?

Another Z8 in the future? (I agree, probably one of my top 3 as far as overall design goes).

21. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Specs were: 2002, Metallic Yellow, full Tubi, custom stereo.

I do see another Z8 in my future. I am keeping my eyes open for a silver/black or silver/red car. The Z8 is a timeless classic that is severely underrated in the automotive community.

For Lambo, I have a G on the way!

22. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    It had a buttons for shifting on the steering wheel. Very Pontiac tap shift like if I recall and looked kind of tacky to me. Plus the Alpina had some funky wheels, pinstripes, symbols. I was told by a dealer that the car was lighter making the 5-10 HP difference not an issue and the later model faster than the original.

I thought the Z4 was a neat modern looking one when it came out but when the two are next to each other the classy lines of the Z8 really show.

RocketBoy

23. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    I love the Z8, I have been looking for one for a few months now. Such a classy looking car, made me feel like a million bucks sitting in it.

24. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    Rocketboy, I think your dealer was Bull****ting you because they want to sell you a more expensive newer model ;). The Alpina wheels are stunning. If I bought a standard Z8, I would without question buy the Alpina wheels.

Patrickshim, the Z8 Alpina had Steptronic. It's a tiptronic system. AKA Automatic with stupid +/- buttons.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    You don't want to deal with RMS. They have blown up customer engines and used the cars as the shop's daily driver. There are many threads on M5board.com about this.

I've never seen a metallic yellow Z8, could you please post pictures? I think it would look awesome in that color! The Z8 is definitely one of my favorite all time cars and I do want one in the future. I think it's a hard choice to decide on a color so I'd get one in every color :p