Pics of my 30K service for my 348TB SS | FerrariChat

Pics of my 30K service for my 348TB SS

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ghardt, Jun 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Knowing jack about the mechanics of a car.....$6k not so bad to me anymore. : )

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey I like the degree wheel. The high tech engine stand is another plus :D

3. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Great Pics - it must be reassuring for you that you've got true professonals on the case!

4. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    AHHH!! some one stole his motor =), cool pics thanks

5. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    Very nice, I would suggest that you ditch the air injection and plug the heads while you have the engine out. It's a passive system that only operates for a few seconds while the engine is cold, and you will still pass emissions because you are all warmed up buy the time you get there. Eliminates a lot of BS hardware and cleans up the engine compartment! Also gets rid of that rattling noise on startup!

6. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Wow.... mine is due next year...
    It will cost a fortune here..... :-(

7. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Cool. Thanks for posting.

8. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K
    So guys,

When the cam shaft seals leak, which one of these pics shows the culprit ?

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The first two show the cam seals, they are the pinkish color. The third and fourth pictures show the the cam seal o-rings, those also are the pinkish color.

10. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Thanx alot for posting these pics Jerry....very intresting indeed :):):)

11. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm glad you all took time to look at these pics. Did anyone see anything that didn't look right?

Thanks,

Jerry

12. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Is that grease on the cam journal nuts?

Is it standard practice to remove the cam pulleys if you're just going to change the timing belts?

13. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Rivee,

I don't know why my mechanic has grease on the cam journal nuts; maybe it just helps with reaching the proper torque spec. The pulleys where removed when the cams were removed from the heads for cleaning / inspection / shim inspection / adjustment. If you've got the engine out, you might as well disassemble all of the timing components.

14. Lusso5

Lusso5 Karting

May 2, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Was a flywheel resurfacing suggested/done? Looked like some scalant in the coolant passages too. I would flush real well, and refill with DI and WW; skip the antifreeze for the Houston summer.

You making it out to the lake tomorrow? Bringing the F-car? If so, see you there.

15. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Lusso5,

The flywheel was not resurfaced. Cooling system was flushed out.

What event are you refering to? I am unaware of any in the Houston area.

16. Lusso5

Lusso5 Karting

May 2, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    FCA Houston Chapter event. You should become a member Jerry!

17. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely. I didn't know he had removed the cams.

Looks like you found a mechanic that knows what he's doing!

How's it run now? Notice a difference in its performance?

18. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Cool pix Jerry. We arm chair mechanics really appreciate them. Thanks. ss

19. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry

Since the timing was advanced a bit, it idles with a bit more of a rumble. We also removed the cats and installed straight pipes (test pipes); this greatly improved the sound as well as throttle response. I have not put it on a dyno, so I have no idea if it actually gained a few more HP or if it is just may imagination. Sometimes when you spend $$$$, your mind will play tricks on you to help justify the expense.

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The reason there is grease on the cam nuts is because this mechanic appears to know what he is doing! Here is what I like to see:
    1) the engine is clean. Clean engines make for no crap falling into the head like dirt that increases wear etc. Only meticulous people clean before they work. This guy would make a good dentist.

2) He uses a degree wheel. 90% of the guys work by eye. This is the only way to accurately set and reset your car. Your timing will be 10/10ths now.

3) The grease on the nuts implies (also the other picture of the screw driver in the cam wheel) that he reset your valve tappets by the removal of the cams. He took the time to put assembly lube back on the removed cam journals before he put them back on to do the timing! He also tensions your belt by relieving pressure stiction of the cam wheels that is why the screw driver is in there. Very good technique. This is the way I have reccommended valve adjustments and 30k services be done for years. You can search past posts I have made on this subject. This is a thumbs up way to do it.

4) you can always grind the flywheel but this wheel looks fine but I need to feel it to be sure. These wheels are very expensive. I always recommend to stick to the stock or organic clutch discs to get more life out of the expensive Flywheel. Hard surfaces like kevlar give you little performance and much higher ultimate cost.

These pictures look very good. Please tell us who this mechanic is. It sure looks like you go a winner here. Please share his name with the rest of us. 6000 if that is his price is a bargin for doing it right.

21. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The mechanic is Ferda Hroch. During the 80's and early 90's he was one of the mechanics at Ferrari of Houston and I think he tuned some of 348s for the local challenge races. Later he opened his own shop called, Italian Legend Cars, Inc. He still has this business but closed his shop after he was approached by a private collector. Ferda now works full time for this collector, but still manages to work evenings and weekends on many 308, 348, 355, F40, as well as the hand full of classic Ferraris at his day job. Ferda is probably the same price as FOH, but I have found that the older guys are much better with the pre 355 cars. Seems like most of the guys at FOH are more computer oriented that nut / bolt oriented.

All together I paid $7,376.87 for my 30K service. But, this was not just timing belts. Nearly everything was serviced, that could be serviced (including the water pump). ****s loads of gaskets, O rings, and seals were replaced. New fuel filters, thermostat, hood lift supports, air check valves, master cylinder hose(s), various coolant hoses, some new valve shims, timing belt covers/shields, all fluids, spark plugs, tensioner bearings, and of course a little froen (r-12). Also, as you can see from the pictures, the flywheel was disassembled. All parts cleaned and reassembled with need flywheel grease.

The car was running great before the service was done with no problems. It runs even better now.

Jerry

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Jerry,

Getting it done right...priceless!

23. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Jerry, what was the turnaround time for this service?

Does he still have the facilities to do this work?

Very impressive!!

24. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    He did everything in about 7-10 days. I waited for about a month before he could finish up his other work and start on my car. The private collector that he works for allows him to use the shop to perform his side work.