308 exhausts | FerrariChat

308 exhausts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jbrosseau, Jul 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    anyone ever do up their own custom set-up?

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Search the archives as there is tons of information and pictures on this subject.

3. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Just about any custom exhaust shop can do one for you. Look for one that has a reputation for high quality work, not cheap!

To put this in perspective, The REALLY nice top quality systems go for about $2000-$2500, (Tubi, Capristo, Fuchs).

I paid about $650 for an "Exhaust Artiste" to build a very good quality system, utilizing a dual inlet and outlet Flowmaster. To this he added a pair of resonator chrome tips, stainless clamps and a stainless heat shield for the close proximity to the trunk. He fabricated exhaust mounts that bolt up to the stock points.

Anything less than stock or "the best" will probably result in a decrease in resale value.

Most people have budgetary constraints and maintenance/improvement projects that are higher on the priority list.

So, the single most important advice i could give is to go to ferrari gatherings and listen. What sound are you looking for?? Find out what they cost. Make your choice.

exhausted,
    chris

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Problem is with our 308's, most custom exhaust "systems" is only a $2000 muffler.

Anyone have a custom header set-up too?

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    There are a couple of places in the UK that make SS exhaust headers for the 308, also make complete exhaust systems.

Don't recall their links, but have been posted a couple of times in fchat.

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I agree with everything you say except that, a nice custom exhaust with Ansa tips will be just fine when it comes time to sell a 308. I mean we're not talking about Pebble Beach cars here. As long as you don't put these aftermarket tips that belong on a Civic you should do just fine. That's what I've done with mine and it looks stock.

7. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #7 cavallo_nero, Jul 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    A couple of well-known fchat members bought Euro 308s w/'custom' exhausts & to the best of my knowledge didn't quibble about it.

one car had dual 'cherry bomb' glass packs.
    other car had a pair of gutted aftermarket cats

Both sounded pretty good, a bit louder than stock, but when going by you would'nt find them objectionable.

Was at a dyno day, last summer, by then the cherry bombs had pretty well blown their fibreglass out. Car didn't sound unusually loud until it got to about 4,000rpm, then built to an eardrum blowing crescendo!!! So i guess it depends how fast & in what gear it went by 8^)

Several members have built custom exhausts using dual in-dual out flowmasters like chrismorse. One posted some pretty good pix & comments, search old fchat for 'flowmaster' & 'flow-master'. Hopefully the pix survived the hard drive crash.

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hmmm, that guy sounds VERY familiar. Oh wait, it is probably me :>

The exhaust sounds great and seems fine. Actually could use a bit more back pressure according to my mechanic to add torque at lower end of things. Yeah, the exhaust is kinda loud... and has a wonderful burble-burble-burble sound when i let off the gas at higher RPM levels.

i like it :)

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If the exhaust is non stock (improved), it won't mean anything to the resale value of a "driver" 308. I have never heard in my life someone offering LESS because it has a Tubi.

11. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    I doubt many cars today could have a stock exhaust as they would have worn out by now and they were not that great to begin with. Mine went from stock to a lyle tanner which was nice, then a cheap muffler shop fab job that looked like the magnaflow picture above but it gave out pretty quickly. Now has an ANSA and for 1100.00, sounds great, and has the look of all the old cars, seems to be the right choice.

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Chris,
    You're mistaken, the OEM mufflers are stainless steel & have held up quite well over the years. My car still has the OEM muffler.

In fact, the owner of the car with 'gutted cat' mufflers replaced them with a used OEM muffler off of eBAY. Metal was quite sound.

When I judged Tutto Italiano this year, all but 2 cars had the original mufflers.

The US spec headers are also stainless steel, so are generally in good shape. The Euro headers are mild steel. My original ones are still in reasonable shape, altho I've had to weld up a couple of cracks where the pipes entered the 4:1 combiner. Had my rear header ceramic coated, so hope to get many more years out of it. Will pull the front header & have it coated when I pull the gas tanks to do hoses.

13. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The thermoreactor muffler on my 77 did not appear to be made of SS.
    But then again I may have been dumbfounded by it after I tried to lift it.

14. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I bought a dual in, single out Flowmaster yesterday and will have it installed on my '77 308 next week. The car has no smog stuff at all, so I'm looking forward to the sound and possible performance when installed.

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Sorry, forgot about the thermal reactors, think they're heavy gauge mild steel.

16. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #16 robertgarven, Jul 7, 2005
    actually they are supposed to be SS as the temps were quite high with the air pumps connected. All I have to say is TUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBITUBI TUBI TUBI TUBI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #17 Meister, Jul 8, 2005
    Here's the Magnaflow system I just put on my car. I'm not going to recomend it yet as I'd like to get some miles on the car before I know all the bugs are worked out. It's very "throaty" at low RPM and comes up a little on throtle.

However, it was not very costly, did most of it myself and proves that you can change the orientation of the mufflers.

BTW, the PO had 2 mufflers welded in transversely so I wasn't scrapping a stock system or anything. Overall cost:

2 Maganflow mufflers $120
    Custom bent 2" exhaust pipes $45
    Misc exh gskt, SS bolts... $20
    Welding $15

Total $200.

Again, I did most the fitting myself. I had to fine tune some of the bends/fit. But basically I had a muffler place copy my stock pass side pipe from the cat back and instead of the stock 90 bend I had it go straight back and cut it to length, slide it into the muffler, calmped it and had it welded.

For the Drivers side I modified a stock 90 bend (made it tighter) from the drivers side cat back and had everything welded together.

They flanged the ends so I could put in a heat riser gasket and I used a SB chevy flange plate which fit right up to the stock holes of the stock cat. Bolted it together with SS bolts. Hung it with SS 5/16" cable for now and I'm off.

Again, I want to work out the bugs... see if I have any heat issues (close to the frame on both sides) but it can be done.

18. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #18 chrismorse, Jul 8, 2005
    Peter,

I'm not sure which muffler you are using, but here is a photo i dug out of the old archives. The Muffler is a flowmaster dual 2.5" inlet and a dual 2.5 outlet. This inspired me to do the same.

I am experimenting with inserting photos, so if it is above or below the text, we will both be surprised.

Just for fun, here is a photo of the 80-100 pound thermal reactor monstrosity that i took off of my 77 308.

Here are two photos of the system i had built. If you look closely, you will see the two stainless clamps and the heat shield above the muffler, as well as the brackets welded to the muffler to attach to the stock mounts, which display the artiste's initials JF. a good guy.

The last close up shows an additional section of pipe i had the guy install to provice a bit of a heat shield for the lower controll arm bushing.

It is fairly loud but manageable with the wife on trips.

hth,
    chris

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I paid 2500$ 12 years ago for the tubi. I make 15$ an hour and can safely say it was well worth it! The stock thermo reactor was 150 lbs. + the tubi 25lbs. Any questions.... :) I would pay $5000 for a new one if I had to, its that good and cool!!!! Plus every time I see Francisco he gives me a t- shirt!!! Pricless.....

20. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Scott, with your new dual flowmaster setup, in order to take advantage of this setup - step up the main jets by 5 or 10, and lower your AC jet by a good 15 or more accordingly. this is what i did to mine on the dyno - this tru dual setup pulls so much air that there is a need for an increase in fuel....your 308 will rock when tuned to this exhaust. what better way to compliment a 308 motor - which is really 2 independant 4 cylinders - than to make a truly independant exhaust system.....
    john

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    My car is FI...which I've been told automatically adjusts? Anyway, I do like the sound, thanks for the idea... Magnaflow,that is.

I may end up changing them to the way you have yours set up if I find there are heat issues or anything with the way I set it up.

Thanks

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    That looks pretty cool! I got the dual in, single out, as my car as a single tip. I'll post a pic this week when I get them in. I am wondering if I'll have to have my carb's re-sync'd after this installaion. I had to get this done when I took off the resonator a few months ago!

23. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Peter,

If you are going from the stock set up to a flowmaster, or for that matter any less restrictive exhaust, you will probably have to rejet. Carb sync will be unaffected by any exhaust change, but as it will flow more air and have, probably, less back pressure, and you will likely find lean running conditions, like popping back on deceleration and occasionally popping back through the carbs at idle.

I went one step richer across the spectrum, with 60 idles, 200 Air corrections and 140 mains. I haven't had a chance to experiment further with jetting because of the "wealth" of other mechanical/electrical projects.

There has been a great deal written about this exhaust/jetting issue, both in the old and new posts.

hth,
    chris

24. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Cavallo Nero... do you recall a stange smell after installing the magnaflows?

I just took my car for a short drive and can smell something strange. It's alomost like burning rubber.... My thought is that the initial heat through the mufflers might produce an odor or perhaps the oil burning off the new exhuast pipe sections I had made but just thought I'd ask.

My belts look ok, and aren't too hot. The car has been off the road for over a year and I hope that it's exhaust related and not somthing like a frozen tensioner.

25. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Some smell is normal, that is cooking off of the oil and or paint on the new exhaust system after initial fire up.

It could also be that some portion of the exhaust system has loosened and come out of alignment enough for something hot to be touching some part of the car and cooking it. Or a gasket could have blown out and be blowing enough hot exhaust on something to generate the smell.

It is worth having the shop that installed it put it back up on the lift to check all clearances.

hth,
    chris