Another Set of Garage Pics | FerrariChat

Another Set of Garage Pics

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by battman, Jul 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    #1 battman, Jul 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wanted to thank all of the members for their garage ideas. Here is the short list of what I did to mine over the last 6 months and some pics...it's economical, but effective! Thanks, Battman

Size = 35x24x10.5 feet
    Rustoleum Epoxy Floor
    (10) 200W lights in ceiling
    (8) added AC outlets on 3 lines
    Soft Water hose bib
    Insulated walls and ceiling
    Drywalled/painted walls and ceiling
    Lots of cheap 2x4 shelves
    Pro Park 7 Lift
    Craftsman Compressor/Tool Chests
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. That's a lot of depth in your garage.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Very interested in your impressions of Rust-O-leam epoxy floor... Has it held up to heat? What about lifting under the load of a turned front wheel?

4. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    #4 Merdav, Jul 5, 2005
  5. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Regarding the Rustoleum Epoxy Shield Question...here are some comments:

Things I like:
    - It's very easy to clean the floor...I typically just use water and a cheap mop...Sometimes I spray some 409 or simple green down on bad spots and scrub them with a broom...but all stains seem to come out.
    - Looks great...even when a little dirty
    - Nothing seems to damage it...I currently have no tire marks...but read on as I'm pretty sure it's ALL IN THE PREP
    - I set up my lift and moved it (on steel casters) to it's current location (around 1500lbs). It didn't seem to leave any caster marks - and they scratched the hell out of the floor in my last house. I currently have the lift posts on small platforms of wood...so hopefully the floor is fine...but to be honest, I haven't moved the lift yet since I put it there.
    - Easy to apply (minus the prep work)

Thinks I didn't like:
    - The prep works sucked. Lots of muratic acid baths. I'm convinced that the prep is everything here. My house was new construction - so it was a virgin garage floor. I brought my lift (in pieces) from my last house (so it had oil in it all ready)...the lift leaked a little on the virgin floor before I applied the Epoxy Shield and before I re-assembled the lift. After countless acid baths and 3 coats of Epoxy Shield to the leak area, you can see (right through the epoxy shield) exactly where my lift leaked oil.
    - The dry time was like a week?
    - It's slippery when wet (not wet paint, wet with water)...I didn't put in the optional 'colored chips' and I'm not sure if they would add any type of friction, but you need to step carefully when they floor is wet.
    - The color was actually a little annoying because it's so close to actual concrete color...thus it's very easy to miss spots until you see them in the correct light.
    - I was disappointed with the 'mix, then one time use' of this product for a few reasons. 1) Per my comment above, it makes doing "touch ups" almost impossible unless you buy more. 2) I bought 3 cans of this stuff...since I have a 3+ car garage. It covered it, but since I did it in sections (so the Ferrari didn't have to stay outside), I always ended up throwing out some of the product - since you can't reuse it once mixed. Advice: leave a little of the 2 parts unmixed, for touch up work later.
    - The premixing process - my results seemed to vary a lot in terms of reflectivity from can to can. So when I'd finish 1 section of the garage, I would touch that section up (a day or 2 later) before painting the next section. A decerning eye can tell exactly where I "touched up" because the reflectivity isn't uniform. This is probably very time and temp dependent.

Things that aren't really the fault of the rustoleum that I didn't care for:
    - A smooth garage floor is a big plus. The epoxy shield will paint over rough areas without issue, but dirt really shows up in the small concrete crevices and requires a brush to get clean.
    - Over the winter (in Wisconsin), the normal contraction of the floor cracked the epoxy shield in all of the floor expansion cracks...some of the cracked epoxy shield (especially where my Jeep (which goes in the snow/salt) sits) even started to 'peel up'. I ended up filling all of the expansion joints with a flexible concrete caulking...it doesn't look as cool but I'm hoping it will do the trick.

Please note that many of the above issues could easily be "user error". I do recommend the Epoxy shield to all who have a virgin garage floor and don't mind doing the prep work. Hope that helps! Battman

6. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thats a really nice looking garage. Lots of storage!

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Is that an F-2 you got there?

8. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Yup - 1994 CRB600F2...19k miles...and if my fiance has her way, for sale soon. I told her I'd sell it if I can get a testarossa... :)

9. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Nice M3 ;)

Cool garage.

10. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    can you actually fit a car under the ferrari ..doesnt look like you have much clearance w the door opener..

11. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    #11 battman, Jul 5, 2005
    There's actually plenty of room for 2 regular cars (height wise). For normal storage, I turn the 328 around and then there is plenty of clearance to fit another car under it (or on top of it).

I can actually fit my Jeep Grand Cherokee (barely) over the 328. But a normal height car won't fit under the Jeep without the Jeep hitting the ceiling, and the lift isn't tall enough for the Jeep to go on the bottom. Good thing the 328 is low!

Note to self: get a garage that's 12' high or sell the Jeep...

12. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Bubbaland, USA
    Full Name:
    Disgruntled Dave
    I noticed on your list, you listed 10x200w lights. That's going to suck up your power bill. Have you thought about the newer style fluorescent bulbs that screw in? I would look into it because it will ave you some cash if you plan to spend a lot of time in the garage.

13. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Rustoleum floor semi-sucks. It's cheap, but hot tires will lift it right off the floor.

Nothing special, but better than bare concrete. Do something better if you can afford.

14. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Is the garage heated? If not what will you use?

15. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hey WARDHOG,

I rarely use all of the lights (they are on 3 seperate lines). But my plan is actually to replace all of the cheap light sockets with decent recessed lights...but meanwhile I'm all for saving $$$. Are you talking about bulbs you can get in a hardware store, or something more unusual?

Chris03053,

Sadly, I didn't heat the garage...I was too lazy to run the gas line and the heaters I liked were pretty pricey. I bought a 60,000 BTU propane heater that seemed to do very well this past winter.

Take is easy, Battman

16. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Bubbaland, USA
    Full Name:
    Disgruntled Dave
    I was talking about the Home Depot type of bulbs. You also might want to think about Halogens too. They put out some good lighting but not as cheap to run as the fluorescent bubs. What ever the case may be, enjoy!

17. acehole

acehole Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Axel
    I strongly agree because it is also ecologically responsible to do so. Irresponsible not to. Its enough we pollute the air with these cars for our enjoyment, but we dont need to add to it.

18. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Nice settup Jeff. My gar ht is like yours....need to get a lift. What is on the back of the gar doors? Gets plenty cold here and I need some sort of insulation/ air seal. I heat with a 5,000 watt 220v heater and it works very well. Cost was 260.00 at home depot. Mo betta than propane and no CO to worry about. Thanks, good post. Steve

19. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I put down rustolem its been on for 6 years now with no problems. Prep is key. It does stain if you leave coolant on it but oil comes right off. Never had any hot tire lifting but over the years where the tires rest does get sort of permenantly darker. I have some slight peeling where the concrete meets the driveway but no big deal. Next year I plan on recoating.

20. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    I work on my cars in my garage if need be (rain, winter time), thus I'm using a floor jack with typical metal wheels. I'd be afraid of gouging/scraping/pressuring the paint up -- the floor gets used! However, I've never lived in a house with a painted floor and I do know about the nature of epoxy (at least in the adhesive aspect of the concoction) so maybe those aren't an issue.

My garage floor is very smooth and it's not painted. I have to be carefull about walking on it with wet shoes because it is very slippery. Now, the house was built in 1960 so maybe back then they made concrete garage floors differently but wouldn't is just be easier to have the concrete smoothed (assuming new house construction)?

21. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hey sparky p-51,

There's nothing special about the garage doors...they are insulated, but I think most are these days?

Hi Air_Cooled_Nut

The downside to a 4 post lift is of course anything that requires removing a car wheel...point being, I too still use lots of jack stands. I haven't had any issues yet, but I admit that I'm pretty careful and typically throw a 12" square piece of plywood under the jackstand. However I don't put anything under my jack, which thus far hasn't been an issue.

Thanks, Battman