best radar detector for socal? | FerrariChat

best radar detector for socal?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by bmwm3, Jul 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    what do you guys think is the best radar out there for socal
    driving?
    any thoughts
    or any evaluations of what you may have in your own car?
    thank you

2. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    V1, although i only really trust it on the freeway.

3. KRIS P.

KRIS P. Karting

Feb 15, 2005
    The OC
    V1 works REALLY well on the freeway....On side streets you're toast. (With any radar.)

Kris P.

4. Austin

Austin Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    The V1 lit up but it was too late. 75 in a 45. Wrote it up for 70 in a 65 (11-99 helped, but it was a ventura co sheriff). Went to court to try and fight it (olny 5 mph over:). I was quilty before I evened opened my mouth. Max fine! I heard Ventura is tough. I believe it.

5. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have a need for speed! Thanks to my K40, no tickets as of yet. The fact that its integrated into the dash means that it does not distract from the appearance of the car or attract the attention of the cops. The only shortcomings are that the unit is sometimes too sensitive and cost over $2000 installed. Tim

6. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    thanks for the replies

7. Turbo Ron

Turbo Ron Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    West Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ron Stavis
    $1600.00 installed for me.

8. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The cost was in excess of $2000 because the system included the K40 radar detector AND seperate K40 laser defuser. Tim

9. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Valentine 1 for the highways receives the CHP radar before they can detect you. If You get a full on warning on KA band downshift fast and get down to the speed limit ASAP. Ignore most X band as it is usually from electronic door openers etc. Laser seems never to be used on the freeways except for the rare local officer on an overpass who has his own gun if you get a laser signal when on the freeway chances are you are history especially if you are going very fast, but if you get one just on the chance its from a car in front of you being clocked, hit the brakes and downshift quick.
    If you have a RED or Fly Yellow car assume you are a target all of the time and drive accordingly. In my experience they really go after you if you are passing cars,changing lanes a lot but will let you get away with a lot more mph maybe up to 88mph if you are alone on the road.
    If you want to play boy racer, go fast do it on some lonely road with no one else around to pass, but avoid the known speed traps ie Santa Maria, or the Open spot in the hills along the coast while going to Santa Barbara, Hwy 5 where the dips are etc.
    On the street just drive reasonably unless in the boonies, they are going to look at your car 1st and it looks and especially if it has a TUBI sounds like
    its going 20 mph over the limit even if it isn't. Mulholland can be fun but you know they are watching for you around KANAN RD. Radar detectors on the dash and no front plate automaticly take you out of the potential warning class in my experience, so I leave the V1 hidden on familar streets with traffic. LAPD actually teaches officers to look at the back of your head when you run a marginal yellow light, to see if you are checking for them. Most Police and CHP officers are good guys or gals and like cars,but hate bad attitudes more then anything. They may drive a 4x4 truck or a corvette but most will enjoy a look at your car and a friendly attitude on your part, may get you a warning. One officer I know in FOC drives a Daytona Spider for instance.
    The arrows on the V1 are so much of an aid don't even consider any of the other brands. Remoting is expensive but effective as it is actually Illegal to have a detector or anything in your line of vision @ Ca Veh Code @ some other F Chat posting.
    ps my record is 3hr 45min from Northridge to just over the Bay bridge with a potty stop of 20 minutes,thats in the daylight we left around noon, night runs might be faster but you cannot see as far ahead at night on hwy 5

10. Lt1corvette

Lt1corvette Guest

Jun 19, 2005
    San Clemente, CA
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dowd
    I use a passport 8500. Had it for two and a half years. Have X and K band off. I like it, used a v1 for a while. Just went off to much, when there were no cops. I think the detection range on the v1 is better then the 8500, but I started second guessing it. When the 8500 goes off, it is downshift and brake.

11. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
  12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny