O/T- Confused= which BMW, if at all?=== | FerrariChat

O/T- Confused= which BMW, if at all?===

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Jul 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Test drove 2 new 5s today, 525 sport petrol touring and 525 diesel sport saloon, plus X5 3.0 sport petrol & diesel. Really liked touring and am seriously considering buying one. X5 was major disappointment mainly due to boring interior, small boot and weak petrol version. Diesel engine on X5 was revelation tho, torquey and very eager.
    Trouble is, cost of either car is in used M5 and RS6 territory. Always fancied a RS6 too. Is it worth buying either high performance cars vs new 5? New car is mainly used by my wife for school runs etc so i'm not sure i can justify buying a 500 BHP motor . What are insurance/ servicing costs like pls? Anyone have any words of wisdom?
    Thanks in advance :)
    Tony

2. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Nothing better than a used M5 for the money, surely. Providing your wife doesn't mind driving fast cars, nor manuals - my mum refuses to drive anything remotely quick.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    She's only ever driven a manual so that's a bonus. We won't tell her how powerful a M5 is :p

4. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    I've got a new RS4 on order with delivery in Oct/Nov/Dec that might do the trick. 4 doors, 4 seats, 4 wheel drive and lots of those bag things that people think will save them in the event of forced, rapid deceleration. Proper gears too, unlike the RS6.

I had the old RS4, fastest way to transport a fridge I know.

jg

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    John ,
    my neighbour has one but the car's too small, i'm afraid :(

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    As the car is mainly for your wife to use, get what she want's (the volvo 4x4 is a great buy and a little different from the x5's everybody and their au'pair seems to have)

And put anything left over towards a 355 to 360CS upgrade

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    The mrs and kids loved the X5 ! CS will wait till next year :)

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    well buy her what she wants

9. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I'd definitly go & have a look at an XC90 before you committed to an X5...

I.

10. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    5 series working well for me and the family so far. Tony do you have dogs?

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    No- i can see a punchline here somewhere... :p

12. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    no thats for Stevef to do.

Just wondered the need for something the size of the x5. We had an ml(new shape due out about now i think btw) - only really used the boot when took the dog out. In the cold light of day were paying alot for something we didnt use.

Whatever you do decide on - give me a shout. I have a v good relationship with my broker who receives over and above what discounts the main dealer garage will give you. I spent 100k with him this month - so he owes me a favour. He got me into my 5 for focus money.

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Cheers Rob, i've sent you a PM. The X5 is actually quite a bit shorter than 5 series so length is not a prob.

14. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    no worries. pm replied to.

15. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Hi Tony

The RS6 Avant is a fabulous motor car. My wife was very comfortable driving my RS6 , and it was great fun for me as well. Drove the X5 before buying the RR sport and just didn't do it for me. Perhaps the shape has been around for a while and I wanted something different.

rgds
    James

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Hi m8,
    RR sport too expensive and i haven't driven RS6 yet. I will give that and M5 a try before changing current car.
    Rgds
    T

17. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    If you drive the RS6 you WILL buy it over the M5 and others. Much more practical. More likely to have been looked after.

18. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    You tried the 535d yet. My mate was raving about it, and looked quite good (not sure if it was the OEM kit or after market though. Either way the 5 needs an aggresive kit IMO).

Also isnt the X5 due a revision soon?

19. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    I have the last shape 525 TDS SE Tourer. It does everything i want it to, perfectly... including picking two wooden sun loungers up from homebase, a big single mattress, 2 meter high fence screening to name a few things ... the Tourer just swallows it up and shuts the tailgate. Brilliant, practical, good looking cars.

20. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    No, just 525 D which was lively . Tried the 3.0 D X5 . Engine was good. Facelift due in 2 yrs time i think.

21. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Petrol 3.0 X5 is a waste of time- in the "real world" it does little better fuel wise than a 4.4i when all's said and done and couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Our neighbour has a 3.0 petrol X5 and hates it as she says its too slow.

Don't rule out the V8- I did a similar excercise working out whether to buy a used diesel or petrol Audi A8-I worked out that given the typical mileage of my Mrs's car, it worked out more cost effective to buy the cheaper petrol version as it would take around 200,000 miles to end up saving money by buying the diesel, given their relative fuel use and initial cost! Plus we get the rumble of the petrol engine...

3.0d is a great engine though, and very tweakable- see http://www.dmsautomotive.com/index.asp?upid=21&msid=3

If you like the M5/RS6 idea, then a best of both worlds solution would be an X5 4.6iS which has a tweaked-up M engine.

Or, dare I say it, for practicality try a Volvo XC90- a perfect family machine by all accounts.

22. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    Tony,

If you get a chance to drive the RS6 in the wet then do so - it is in bad conditions that you realise the huge advantage the 4wd system has in this country. You can put all of its 450bhp on the road even it the wet and it just goes with no fuss at all. It has traction control but it is hardly ever used.

The gearbox although automatic is linked to a very good tiptronic system and if you get the car with the paddleshift steering wheel option it works very well and is a great compromise for enthusiastic driving but with a good auto box that the wife may like.

Unlike many BMW's the car was sold fully loaded and therefore comes Sat nav, etc as standard - there were very few options available

23. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Hi m8,
    If poss i want the facelift X5, 2004 onwards. This rules out 4.6 which will be too expensive. M5 and Rs6 test drives will be booked for nxt w-end.

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Cheers Mal. I'm still after yours , BTW ! ;)

25. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    I have both an X5 and an XC90
    The thing with the X5 is you need to get the sports version with the 4.4 or 4.8 engine. I’ve got the 4.4 and think it’s a fantastic car. The XC90 is absolute rubbish, but the Mrs likes it because you can get 6 kids in it (mind you she still prefers the 360 for the school run)