Tailpipe "Chirp" Inserts-my DIY | FerrariChat

Tailpipe "Chirp" Inserts-my DIY

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gatsby, Jul 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gatsby

gatsby Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    half moon bay, CA
    Full Name:
    jim
    #1 gatsby, Jul 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took the great suggestions from the forum of getting rid of the "chirping" sounds coming from the exhaust. Here's my experience:

1)Started with (4) 26ga Stainless Steel sheet cut 7" X 3-1/2" rectangle.
    2)Rolled these into a tube on a 1" socket.
    3)Trimmed the tubes after rolling to exact fit. The inside exhaust-with-holes in my 328 is exactly 5" in circumference, thus the inserts are actually 5" X 3-1/2" rectangle SS sheets rolled into a tube.

4)Tapped the inserts gently with a leather mallet into the exhaust
    5)Finished product in pic below.
    6)Now I will take her for a drive to see if I killed the bird.

cheers,

The anti-audobon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    you have my complete attention, the damn Dino sounds like a VW bug to me........ i could care less if it sells this weekend i would LOVE to get rid of that chirp!!!!! :)

please update us !!!!!

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    There's no question that those things work! I had to use them when I still had the stock exhaust on my 308QV after the batting around one of the tailpipe inserts had apparently degraded.

4. gatsby

gatsby Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    half moon bay, CA
    Full Name:
    jim
    Yes, after all of $10.23 and about 30 minutes of meditative work in the garage, the rig seems okay, at least for me. Just in case, I did not insert the tubes "flush" to the original exhaust pipe end. I left a 1/8" lip so that I can pull the inserts out with pliers if they, for some reason, act weird on me. The spring action of the tube is also very tight so I don't think they will blow off at all.

5. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Thanks for posting this!!!

I have been waiting for weeks for "Partsvag" to respond to my question about his advertised in the FerrariAds section. Now I am gonna just do it myself.

Thanks!
    Wes

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    As one who went through this several years ago, I can only remind you all to use stainless steel. Through trial and error, I used galvanized sheet metal and aluminum sheet metal, and both curled tighter under the heat and came out. SS worked great. The easiest way to insert them is using a broom handle to tap them in, btw. Best of luck to you all!

Dave

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Surely you need to tack weld them in ... think of the law suit if they dropped out and caused a flat tyre and a school bus crashed or something.

Very clever and all, but a little tiny tack would be safer.
    Pete

8. gatsby

gatsby Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    half moon bay, CA
    Full Name:
    jim
    Just came back from a hard 1-hour drive. No more chirping!..AT all speeds.

Inserts did not move a mm. Don't see how they can blow out at all even without tack with all that surface area pushing against the inner wall (5" X 3-1/2" total surface area). -Will think about tacking if I see some movement. thanks for the suggestion as i will definitely monitor the insert for any movement.

9. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    Sure, if he stamped on them "If found please return to ..."

I've seen worse on the roads and if those were to get out they'd more likely roll to the side of the road. Now, the baffle inside a VW stinger muffler, yeah, I tack weld mine in now that I've launched a few :eek:

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    On my 308 there was enough grip from the tension of the ss to hold the inserts very tightly....come on...worry about blowing a tire out? Hardly....it will just get flattened by the tire.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay :)

Pete

12. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Now, go to your room, Pete, and stay there.:)

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I put a set in the Mondial and it cured the godawful bird chirp too.

Birdman

14. gatsby

gatsby Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    half moon bay, CA
    Full Name:
    jim
    For weeks I thought it was a belt squealing until I read the posts here. I think it was the "banchee" post or something from Verell. Thanks guys.
    My belts were not the problem, even though the "sound" sometimes sure sounded like it was.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Come to think of it, when I installed mine, I actually pushed them in deep enough that the forward edge of the insert was just behind the "lip" or weld where the perforated metal attached to the end of the tail pipe. This helped it retain with more than just the "grip" of the spring tension of the ss sheet.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Can I come out yet? ... ;)

Pete

17. gatsby

gatsby Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    half moon bay, CA
    Full Name:
    jim
    OK, OK, I'll pound the suckers in. Maybe even tack it. How many kids are usually in a school bus anyway?

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oops, I think you misunderstood my humor ... was not referring to the exhaust/tail pipes at all.

I was just having a laugh with Rivee ... regarding being sent to my room. It's okay, don't mind being sent to my room ... my wife's in there too ;) ;)

Pete

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    What chirp?

What does it sound like? There's quite a few 3x8 in our local group and I don't recall anything like that

20. gatsby

gatsby Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    half moon bay, CA
    Full Name:
    jim
    In my car it really sounded something like an exhaust "whistle" from a mid-60s VW bug. The sound is almost like a very high pitched squealing belt sometimes, and I could only hear it when I am increasing (gradual) acceleration from say 3rd gear at 2500RPM to 4th gear and so on. It is not there constantly over the driving range, only during a the gradual RPM climb when I am not trying to drive the car hard. I hear the noise after the engine is fairly warm (i.e. around 10 minutes into the drive).

21. gatsby

gatsby Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    half moon bay, CA
    Full Name:
    jim
    LOL here too. I spent a nice year down under with some mates when I was a teenager. The first thing they taught me to ask people in a bar was: "how's your d*ck for warts you p**fta pomie b$stard?" I was told that it was a good way to make friends. Little did I know.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    LOL :D ... that would have been interesting!!

Pete

23. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fantastic post, thanks for following up on this. I'm going to do this ASAP.

Where did you get the materials--would a home depot have it?

24. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    As long as you bloody behave yerself now.

25. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Sorry Wes,

I thought I had replied.

I have lost my other parts assistant and since then have not been able to keep up with the extra sites, such as FerrariAds and Ebay auctions.

My apologies, and to the best of our knowledge, they do work in 328's, but we do not have any in the shop to confirm or deny this with.