Lowering roof manually on 355 | FerrariChat

Lowering roof manually on 355

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Stuh, Aug 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    Evening folks

I've just tried to lower my roof and it won't go. I thought the problem had been resolved at service, as it was bled and the reservoir topped up (so my invoice says!). The first part is ok, ie windows drop, seats move forward etc, then when i pull it back it bleeps. However from this point it whirs for about 10 seconds but appears to be stuck. I then get the beeping again, presumably as a warning to say the roof is poked.

Is there a manual procedure for lowering from this point without using the roof button? Looked in the manual but can't see anything.

Cheers

Stu

2. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    Cheers Ric

I've read it, but i'm not sure i'm any the wiser! I'm a complete mechanical numptie :(

3. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Be thankful both your seats move!

Fortunately, I've never had the roof stick on me, but you should have a tool kit somewhere behind the handbrake which is specifically for manually raising and lowering the roof. I'm sure the steps are explained in the handbook somewhere - I'll have a look.....

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    This happened to me recently. There's an emergency overide switch in centre console. pop off the cover and pull out the switch. One side is marked O for open, one C for close. Failing that, you'll have to use the ratchet set by handbrake. Try and release hydr. pressure first. Oh, it's hard work. If ram's gone, be prepared for a nasty shock if you have to replace :eek:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67870

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Oh yea Tony, HOW MUCH??!!:D

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    £1400

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  8. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    let's rule out the obvious ...

"then when i pull it back"?? are you releasing the button during this process? hold the button and do not let go until it finishes. hold it for the full 30+ seconds. if you stop it in the middle, well, you got to close it first and try again. and getting it to close in the middle doesnt always work, you have to play with it back and forth, turn on/off, etc.

9. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    Yep, i pull it back until i get the bleep, THEN press the roof button. Where as before it would then lower until the bleep signified it was fully lowered. It now just makes some noise but the roof doesn't fold back, then after 20 seconds it just bleeps with the roof half way down ;(

10. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    OK, I've read through the manual procedure and can't quite work out what to do.

I'm actually wondering whether i have the correct tools in the pouch by the handbrake? The long copper coloured bolt appears to screw into the attachment on the passenger side of the roof mechanism, but i can't work out how the ratchet then attaches to the bolt ;(

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Have you sorted this now?

12. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    Hi Tony

Yes. Spoke with Karl as per my other thread. I'm a happy sunny bunny now :D

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Free fix or did it cost?! Mine's still buggered :(

14. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    C'mon tony. You're out on the welsh blast on the 20th aren't you?

15. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    Free :D It was the locking bar. The think one that runs across the roof. It wasn't folding so was locking the roof rigid. Easy to remedy once you know that's the problem!

Do you know where your problem lies yet?

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Yes, one of the solid gold rams isn't working properly. Luckily Ferrari can supply a new for £250K :(