Anyone know much about this car? 288 GTO conversion | FerrariChat

Anyone know much about this car? 288 GTO conversion

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Jon7, Aug 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It was for sale in Washington two years ago for less than 90k.

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Something just does not look right with this car. Jim Carpenter's conversions were reasonably authentic looking. This car sits too high, that spoiler belongs on a WRX and is NOT the spoiler from the 288 Evoluzione.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I was told that the car was built for racing, not for looks. It isn't as high as it looks.Very extensive engineering in this car. Very fast but not consistent.
    "Stupid" money.

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I have been watching that car and always spend time checking it out whenever I have occassion to visit FJ. The car is very very well done and has got to be the baddest set of wheels in town, no doubt. I hope to be there when the owner gets tired of waiting and gets the price down to something more reasonable. But I have sat in it, checked it out, crawled under it and from my viewpoint the car is a work of art.
    And when you roll up in that baby, anywhere short of an F1 garage, its game over.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    this car was created for mel spillman in san antonio, texas. he worked for the county as a clerk and used his position to defraud many estates and created a very nice ferrari collection, everything from cars to trashcans.

when he was caught, his assets were seized and auctioned. the cars were sold prior to the auction, which created some controversy.

i have the original texas plicense plate "prova" here in my office somewhere.

the car was bought and taken to the next level by the next owner, working out many of the kinks in such a custom car.

6. dreamof-f40

dreamof-f40 Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    So what motor is in it exactly? Did they change the layout of how the engine sits to fit in a 288GTO type motor?

7. ANDYJR

ANDYJR Rookie

Dec 10, 2005
    034555 is for sale on the Michael Sheehans site !

8. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    The car is at Fantasy Junction in SF bay area. Great folks and always an awesome collection of interesting cars, incl some race cars from various era's. Always worth a trip to see whats cooking and honest folks to deal with should you be looking to buy. Just my opinion, no relation!

9. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I've seen the car several times, amazing amount of time and wasted money poured into this strange thing. Totally custom, been for sale for ever. Asking $104k offer $60k, then go track the crap out of it and good luck ever selling it again....

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looks great even a good buy at 90k if you can handle a 160k engine tranny blammo. Of course then you would be left with a 160k bill and a car worth 90k for a net loss off 90k, or you could just drive it and hope it doesent blow for a few years. A good buy for someone who can fix it once it goes.

The real question is if somebody spent 160k sorting it what were they so still afraid of that makes them want to sell it.

Could be a lotta fun