Bought a 348 Spider today | FerrariChat

Bought a 348 Spider today

Discussion in '348/355' started by jvbjr, Aug 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    #1 jvbjr, Aug 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Get it Friday afternoon. 12,700 miles, from a Authorized Ferrari dealership w/ 3,000 mile warranty, a true gem.

Issues are crease in bolster leather, marks on leather where left foot enters car, loose rearview mirror, paint chips on driver's door handle. ALL issues to be made 100% perfect tonight so that tomorrow they will empty all fluids, flush her out and hopefully refill. Then off to be detailed completely inside and out.

Tools have never been unwrapped from the factory plastic, car cover included.

Presently a 9.5, after they are done it will be 9.7 condition, then I can spend a day per panel polishing and waxing to bring it up to a 9.9.

This f*cking car doesn't even need new tires, YAHOO!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    congrats and cant wait to see pictures :)

-A

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Congrats sounds like an awesome ride---Don't to post pics---Ref. to the worn leather--Leatherique, great stuff.

4. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Congrats! What dealership did you end up getting it from? What color combo? When was the last major service?

5. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    World Wide in Spring Valley NY, major was done about a year ago, 800 miles since then.

Red/tan, I am $15,000 OVER budget but I am selling off part of my guitar collection on ebay to make up for that.

6. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Thats a nice ride! Take some good pics of it when you get it home let us know if any gremlins pop up!

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #7 No Doubt, Aug 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sweet! Welcome to the 348 Brotherhood. Now you get to go buy 10 or more DVD's worth of 348 movies.

Log onto Ricambi America's website and order some Stabilant 22a. Coat every electrical connection that you can reach in your spare time as the days pass. That step alone will keep your car on the road more, with far less maintenance.

348 Spider mirrors have screws in them that are only visible when you pull the mirror away from the windshield base. Tighten those screws (better yet, tell your dealer to have them tightened) to get a rock-steady mirror again.

Also, note the last timing belt change mileage and date from your records so that you can calculate when you will have a Major Service.

...And do try to keep the pretty girls from drooling over too much of your new 348, eh?!

Shown below, I think:

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes, the brotherhood continues to expand. I save the congrats until you actually have it.

9. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    I did and got the Hill shifter gate, but man does that website SUCK, reminds me of 1995 on the internet, time to UPDATE the site never mind your 348 gauge rings!

10. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Good one Joe, excellent - nice to see you post and get some good advice from the boys before you purchased - especially Nodoubt's post which looks to have been extremely useful - bring on the piccies

11. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Congrats on the car. Looks like the twin of my own car :)

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nice car. It looks like the 348 my dad got last winter. I ordered the Hill Engineering shift gate and some other items from Ricambi America yesterday. Their prices are comparable and they are open while it is convenient for me. They stock the entire Hill Engineering catalog for us buyers in the US. Again, congrats, sounds like it's going to be well kept (and hopefuilly driven).
    BT

13. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Welcome! And congrats. :D

14. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    A grea ride. Enjoy..

15. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    You'll get an e-mail about the shifter gate being stuck in customs, I had him send me the rest of my order and hopefully next week the stuff will clear. So what do I do with this electical stuff exactly?

The website says to clean the contacts with contact cleaner and then to apply this stuff. Does this mean pull each individual wire off, coat it and re install? Or do you just put it over any open bare wires? What do you do about the sprak plug wires, put some on the tips? I do not have the stuff yet to read the bottle, but it may not give the details anyway.

16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yes, I've applied Stabilant 22a to the end of my 348's spark plug wires, as well as applied it to every electrical post in every male socket and in every female socket receptical from the mad mouse motors behind the seats to the ECU's behind the seats to the ECU's in the engine compartment to all of the wiring harness socket connections in the engine compartment to the electrical socket connections under the front hood luggage liner, including to each blade fuse and on the battery disconnect switch, A/C fan motor and flap socket connections, ABS ECU, etc. I've applied it to the Hall Effect sensor underneath the right MAF, and to both MAF's and their data cables and to the throttle position sensors/cables. I've also sprayed some "Corrosion Block" (cheaper product but with similar claims) onto the connection for the starter motor.

I've taken apart the A/C and clock electronic black box in front of the stick shift and applied Stabilant 22a to each solder connection, male pin, and female socket insert, too. I've even applied it to the myriad of multi-post ground connections.

It's supposed to last for 20 years. It **fixed** my flashing/reseting clock problem and my DOA a/c fan + speed up ^ push button functionality. It's supposed to block corrosion and improve electrical contacts. To my mind, so far it has proved itself. YMMV.

It's dead easy to use, just dab some on a Q-tip and swab whatever connection you happen to be viewing at the moment. Over time you'll probably get it onto most every electrical socket connection if you simply make a point to swap any connection that you happen to have reason to examine.

It's Italian. You are going to get your hands onto quite a lot of your car (if you bother to use these magnificient beasts) as the days pass.

I have ZERO electrical problems. Everything works save for the auto-window 2 inch drop "feature" that I disabled (I grew tired of the windows dropping upon opening the door when the top was down).

So I've personally seen Stabilant 22a fix two problems, and it seems reasonable that it may also prevent other problems. Otherwise it appears to be harmless enough...and certainly the "effort threshold" is very low to use it.

Just swab it on. If you can touch it, then you can protect it with this stuff.

You **will** learn how all of the different electrical sockets lock together (and unlock!), and it gives a heckofa pride of ownership to know that you are improving and protecting your car with your own hands as you swab Stabilant 22a on various electrical connections.

17. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Joe -

You'll have it sooner than that! I'm told it'll be at my door tomorrow morning. Your Stabilant is already in transit for overnight delivery to you.

The Hill goodies inbound to me in this box include:
    - 25 mm spacers
    - slick shift gates
    - 348 dead pedals
    - gate locks
    - chome socket savers

:)

18. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    Stop goofing off and get to working on that webpage, I had to reload it a dozen times to place the order, I have not has such a problem with a webpage in a long time, don't tell me your cousin's kid designed it for you. Would you let Jiffy Lube service your Ferrari? No, then get some real website help.

19. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Dude, OMG you are rude. Maybe you're retarded and don't know how to use a computer.

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    He's going through a divorce, so we need to give him a break or two. No doubt his nuts are getting crushed by his ex and a wild-eyed attorney.

So yeah, he's rude, but we'd probably all be if we were similarly being tortured 24/7. I suspect that he'll get better (especially when he's back in the hunt with a new 348)!

21. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    I've been online since 1994, when in business, ten hours a day for over a decade and I'm telling you I had a lot of problems getting that webpage to load, to continue, to give me my shopping cart and as such I would suspect some people may just give up and abort their shopping cart and go elsewhere, I almost did. I have broadband internet, the newest Apple computer and I had three windows open at the same time and that site was the ONLY problem. The reason I even noticed was because it was so bad that it made itself obvious. In 1997 those issues were common, since 2002 I had not encountered such a problem I can remember. The site server could have issues, I don't know but I do know that I had already opened the Hill Engineering page and began filling out their order form and was going to bypass the other, it was on its last chance with me when it finally ok'd my order after about five minutes of it saying "loading" with nothing further. I figured in the US would be faster than from the UK, so after I had ALL info into the Hill site I checked back and it had finally said ok. It also had something on the site about Paypal coming, a SURE indicator someone is playing with the page and may have removed a link. All you need is one 0 to be a 1 and the website can become unwieldy.

22. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Don't talk binary...one 0 being a 1. Give me a break. You're probably using Safari for a web browser and that site has been tested with it yet.

23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

With all due respect, I'm sorry if you had trouble with the website. Your order was placed at 12:22am EDT this morning, I spoke to Paul Hill at 5:30am EDT, and your (partial) order was in the hands of USPS by 8:45am EDT.

Working with customers on FerrariChat isn't goofing off -- it actually is where a decent amount of business is conducted. As a financial sponsor of Fchat, this is a legitimate place of commerce for me.

My mission is to provide superior customer service and honest pricing on these items. A fancy website costs money, which I don't have -- and I'm not going to raise prices simply to make the site look like amazon.com. It runs on osCommerce, a php open source package. I make no secret about that. Last night, around that time, I was backing up the database which is 70meg, and transferring back down to my personal machine. The server (and host) can sometimes be the culprit.

There are plenty of suppliers for Ferrari parts, and customers always have a choice with whom they conduct their business. I appreciate your business -- it means a lot to me. If I have somehow performed less than adequately and you'd like to find an alternate source for these items, kindly drop me an email or PM.

-Daniel

24. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    er, I think you'll find a lot of his comments are made slightly tongue in cheek and not intended as offensive. But hey, maybe being a Brit I just appreciate the more blunt approach :D

Good find on the car Joe... sounds a good one... now stop tarting around with Binary stuff and go and get a hair cut man! :D :D

25. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    And a shave....... :D

Congrats on the car.