Age of vintage owners Poll, final attempt | FerrariChat

Age of vintage owners Poll, final attempt

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by lukek, Sep 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If you own a vintage car, what is your age?

1. 18-28

2. 28-38

3. 38-48

4. 48-58

5. 58-68

6. 68-100

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    While at Concorso I was talking with a couple of fellow mavens, and the subject of age came up. It seems that the vintage cars are mostly owned by older guys. My age (high 30s) is the exception, rather than the rule. Young guys mostly pine for 360s and 355s. Will the vintage cars become more of a niche market once all the old guys die off? What is happening with the brass era cars favored by WW2 veterans?
    Right now, a bunch of people are lining up for 1960s cars, Italian and definitely muscle, but how will this change over time? Others factors here could inlcude future clean air legislation (retroactive, gasp !), decreased frequency of use due to public transport or laser guided highway traffic. Parts should not be a problem, with all the CAD.CAM/new technologies to reproduce things...
    Thoughts, votes?

Let's see if I can actually do a poll here...

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm barely in the 28-38 range (another couple of weeks, and I would have to vote for 38-48).

However, I bought my 365 when I was 26-- do I get to vote twice? ;-)

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'll be 56 in November; for me, with one modest Ferrari at a time means and space, it's 12 cylinders or walk, except for maybe a Dino.

Up until I was around age 30, it seemed like the boss cars for collectors were the 30's Duesies, Cords, Auburns, Packards, Pierce Arrows, etc., that the WWII generation grew up with. Then big interest seemed to shift toward the euro exotics, musclecars, vettes, 50's american cars, etc., and culminated with the Ferrari rush of the late 80's, bottomed out, and is now coming back strongly.

I guess my conclusion is that particular-period interest is largely generational thing, with many variables and uncertainties mixed in. Jay Leno is a perfect example.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #4 El Wayne, Sep 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm only 35 but my car is 42. Interestingly, the Ferraris that interest me most were all built before 1959.

Even stranger than that is my latest fascination: the 1928 Bugatti Type 35B, chassis number 4914, that's being offered at the Bonhams Goodwood sale next Thursday. It's 77 years old and it's really pushing my buttons right now!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I better keep those pics from Spicy.

I'm not going to vote in the poll, but when I bought my 365, I was 23 and considered a GTE at the time. I'm the "young" old fart when it comes to my taste in cars...

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I never was into in special interest or collector cars newer or older than the 50's to early 70's for ownership, speaking from the point of my financial means and personal preferences. Wayne's and judge4re's comments make me wonder if I would be saying 12 cylinders or walk if I was 35 right now.

7. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm 27 and that car (35B) has made me drool for at least 15 years. I've never been able to put my finger on why as most Bugatti's don't elicit nearly the same response from me.

Any more info on that particular one? Looks like a survivor..

C.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    While the 8 cylinder cars that I have are nice, the V12 is another beast entirely.

9. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    #9 Gilles, Sep 9, 2005
  10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The actual winner of the very first Monaco Grand Prix and in amazingly original condition, having been with a single owner for the past 51 years. My mouth literally waters every time I look at this thing!

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Awesome. Any more pics?

12. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I actually found the links you gave just as you were posting them.. WOW.

Problem is, what do you do with it besides dusting it off every once in a while? It's almost (dare I say) too original even for a JG style of caretaking.

C.

13. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    let's see...i'm 58, own a modest ferrari and have the 1930 monaco third place finisher [t-35b factory car;chassis4948 engine 200t; boriot driving]...i'll have to admit i've always wanted a bug [a ferrari as well] but wasted my youth on bathtub porsches and abarths of various types...all this was many years ago when i could [and did] buy a 550 spyder for $ 1600.00!! but i worked "up" one or two cars at a time and over the years got to drive some interesting stuff... currently the bug is vintage raced regularly and stared at a lot but really isn't much of a street car..lots of work to start,run and maintain...however, just today i was driving the 308gt4[how modest is that?]and noticed more young kids notice my s2000..i really don't think they know what a 308 is ..i think that on the average the vintage of the owner determines the vintage of the cars they like.. .02 cents.

14. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    #15 Gilles, Sep 9, 2005
  15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That's the ex-Pietsch car, no?

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    DBW, I've noticed that Bruce Trenery is offering your car for sale. I this why you're parting with it?

17. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    i decided to keep it....as the man once said "and just where would i get another?"

it's just way too cool to sell...but bruce thought i should at least put it out there and see what happens.
    oh yeah....
    ex factory
    ex von morgan
    ex pietch
    ex wimmer
    ex barnett

18. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just looking at the picture - isn't that a 35C? Looks like a blower hole in the hood. Mind you, if you can get a 'C' for 'B' prices, don't tell Bonhams.

19. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You know, at those prices you probably know what you’re buying. Forget my last post.

20. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

FIFTY!! Me, not the car. The car is a sprightly 33 year old.

I've owned a few 60's to 70's era cars, non Ferrari, along with the Dino.. Somehow, they just appeal to me the most. Cars from my youth and all.

DM

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I got the queen 5 years ago when I ws 37.

0556(0446)MD came into the family two years before I was born. It has 'first grandson' status w/ the grandparents . . .

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I was 26 when I bought mine. Now im in the next category up. There's an interesting article in Sports Car Market about modern cars not becoming collectible. In my opinion, the cars you read about and had posters of as a kid are the ones you desire as an adult. 50's and 60's are in now. 70's and 80's are next. Keep those BB's and Testarosas tucked away, they may actually go up in price.

Art S.

23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm 59 (there were days I thought I wouldn't see 24) and the Ferrari is 38.

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm 34, and the 330 is 38.