348 Air Conditioner | FerrariChat

348 Air Conditioner

Discussion in '348/355' started by BULL RUN, Sep 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    My air conditioner screams like a stuck pig when I turn it on. Not belt noise, but more metallic sounding. Has anybody any experience with getting to the unit and removing it? It's a very low milage car, hard to beleive anything's worn out. Any ideas?

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Probably not a good assumption. The less use, the more likely something (a bearing or such) has failed. Check the belt and compressor pully.

3. Quadrifoglio

Quadrifoglio Rookie

Sep 21, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    TIm
    where is the noise coming from?
    Could it be a partially seized blower motor?

4. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    No it's definitely comming from the engine compressor area. Hopefuly Daniel is right. I don't want to break those compressor lines!

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yup.

It's really easy to take out. It should take about 30-45 minutes.

First take it to a shop and get all the freon evacuated out of the a/c lines.

Next get the car in the air so you have access to the underside.

Now disconnect the two a/c lines located on the right side of the engine. They will be between the coolant feed tubes and the fuel filter.

Disconnect the wire going to the compressor.

Loosen the tentoner bolt all the way out, and remove the a/c belt.

Remove the three bolts that hold the compressor in place.

Remove the a/c compressor.

Happy Wrenching.

6. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Thanks ernie

7. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    did the sound make you think the gearbox was trying to tear itself to bits by any chance? That's what mine sounded like, turned out to be simply a loose bolt on the compressor!

Fingers crossed.

8. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Yes that's what it sounds like. I've exposed the unit, now I've just got to fire it up and check it.

9. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    #9 BULL RUN, Oct 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found the problem, which is bolt A and B are missing causing the belt to slip under load. Bolt A is self explanatory, but does someone have an exploded view and part numbers for the bolt B tensioner? can't figure it out.

Also bolt and nut A are impossible to reach, Can't swing wrenches to tighten! Don't think I need B if I could reach A. You got me into this Ernie. NOT EASY Ha. Ha.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #10 Miltonian, Oct 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the diagram of the compressor and mounts.

Bolt 10 in this diagram is the same as bolt B. Part #125668
    Bolt 14 in this diagram is the same as bolt A. Part #139352
    The nut for bolt 14 is part #102742

It looks like bolt 10 threads through the end of bolt 14, pushing and pulling bolt 14 through the slot in the bracket in order to adjust the tension on the belt.

Bolt 10 and the various nuts and washers could probably be sourced from a good hardware supplier, but bolt 14 is going to be a dealer item.

Note: It looks like all of the nuts are nylocs, so there should have been no way for bolt 14 to fall off. Someone screwed up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Ahh, thanks Jeff, that makes sense. But that bolt 14 is impossible to get tightened. Theres just no room in there, can't imagine what tool could do it.

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Just so we're clear here, bolt 14 doesn't turn (if I'm reading the picture correctly). The nut on the end of bolt 14 turns to lock the compressor in place against the bracket.

For a temporary, non-Ferrari repair, you could eliminate bolt 10 from the system entirely, and replace bolt 14 with a conventional bolt of the correct length and diameter, and pivot the compressor with a pry bar, then tighten your replacement for bolt 14 and its nut to hold the compressor in place. I would be VERY careful how I pried on the compressor, not to damage it in any way.

13. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    I concur with all that, and would love to do it if I could get to the conventional bolt 14 replacement. It's just not possible to get wrenches in there and worse, apply pressure against the compressor at the same time your trying to tighten. However, Ernie say's no problem so I'm waiting....:)

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL.

Okay smartass.

The reason your having a hard time is because you need to use a wrench and a RACHET. Use one to hold the bolt still in the back and then turn the nut in the front with the other. I suggest you use the wrench to hold the bolt still and the rachet to turn the nut.

Now I hope you have access to it from under the car? To give yourself more room, remove the right rear wheel, and then take out the front and top splash guards. This will give you some room to get to the bolt/s from the back side of the compressor.

As for bolt "B" in your diagram, or "10" in Jeff's diagram, you NEED that bolt. It keeps the proper tention on the a/c belt. Matter of fact you need ALL the bolts, and nuts too :D.

Oh yeah, one more thing. ATA BOY!!!! Nice job on deciding to tackle the job. As for it being easy, well for me it was. It took me 20 minutes to take it out. Sorry to hear your having a hard time, but DO NOT QUIT!!!! You'll get it out.

15. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Thanks for the encouragement ernie. I'm not about to give up. Will remove more stuff tomorrow!

16. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Just finished this job, and you were right ernie, it was easy....Removing the wheel, and having the right hardware was key.

You guys that don't wrench on your own cars are really missing the bonding process, and passion of ownership. I'm waiting for the next thing to break :)

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Glad to hear you got it finished.