Tranny Done Blowd Up | FerrariChat

Tranny Done Blowd Up

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jjstecher, Oct 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Well it had to happen eventually but today was the first major breakdown at the track and of course it was a doozy. As usually changed all fluids, checked the car over before each session as usual nothing grinding or sounding out of the usual. Ran 8 laps shifting 5 times per lap and then on lap 9 going into turn 3 at BIR I go to down shift from 4th to 3rd and bam she wont go into gear at all. No grind pop etc just wont go into gear. Just wont go into ANY gear.

So I coast of the track and wait out the rest of the session. Get hauled off the track and into the paddock and drain the fluid just to see what mess was made. Sure as s**t I had a nice amount of metal on the drain plug. Now here is where my debugging is hung up. I cannot figure out what happened. Nothing on ANY shift before that, no noise just all of a sudden kablamo, end game. Another interesting fact is that when I am going over the tranny I have a good little pool of brake fluid (clutch fluid) all over the top of the tranny where the clutch input does into the housing so I am wondering if all of a sudden the throw out bearing failed...I just cant reason out what happened at the moment.

So now onto my new mission, find a new tranny or rebuild what do you all think? Reasonable price to pay?

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Now you've got an excuse to go with the 355's 6-speed!

3. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    :) You know what on the long ride back today I thought about that quite a bit. It all going to come down to costs though, I was planning on spending a around 10k on the car this winter race preping it more but this throws a massive curve ball to me. Still wanting to now get around to suspension rebuild but we'll see what this runs. Koenig wants 3k for a "racing transmission" so who knows might just buy that if everything I find around here is to high.

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    If you broke the trany at speed you would have been picking up the pieces on the track or at least find chunks in the oil.

It sounds like the only thing wrong is the hydruadics....I'm not familary enough to know if it has a slave cylinder (easy to change) or a hydrualic throwout bearing, but which ever it has, it's bad (the leak you saw)...and after you replace it you should be all set.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If your'e lucky its just the input shaft & it didnt disintegrate & pass shrapnel throughout the trans. If the trans is junk then I would definatley go for an upgrade.

a 512M trans could set you back $15k easy, I think a 355 trans should be quite a bit less as a lot more of them are around. Try 1 of the parts places, maybe they have one

Good Luck

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dude if you can get a race trans for $3k jump on it

7. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Ah, just dump a Chebby trnny into it :p

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    JJ,

I can't remember how many of these trannys I have rebuilt. 4 or so. Anyway you need proper diagnosis. You may have done nothing more than crack a hydralic line or have a crack in the case where brake/clutch fluid is leaking into the case or something as simpla as the fitting to the case lossen and spirt fluid and suck air. This is not catistrophic you just need a heart bypass. If you do your own work post back here and we can talk you through it.

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    $3k for a racing trany... jump on it!

Good luck finding any trany for $3k

10. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Man Sorry to hear about that John.

11. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Screwed around at the track before loading it up on the hauler to get it back home and when draining the fluid I had a good deal of metal on the plug along with what I counted as 3 or 4 teeth from a gear that I could identify. So needless to say at least one gear ate it at a minumum. I'll see if I can get the thing off today at the shop I dropped it off at and crack her open to see why sort of damage I did.

Strangest thing that is still killing me is there was no sound, nothing...just wouldnt go into gear at that turn (imagine it being welded in neutral). Then after sitting for 10 minutes while the session ran out she popped into second etc. With the backend jacked up if I spin the wheel by hand I can easily hear a strange metalic whirring sound so there is something a miss.

More info later when I get a chance to dig in deeper...work is killing me at the moment. I got a couple calls into other places today looking for used trannies just to be ahead of the game if I crack this baby and shes a mess.

At least I wasnt the worst for wear we had a guy flip his 944 race car twice in the air before landing, another new 911 turbo blew out a head gasket, and a guy blew engine on Shelby GT350. Not a good weekend for the PCA. :)

12. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Well heading off here to do a little detective work here tonight on the car. But at the moment just shopping quotes on full transmissions and looks like I am staring at $8500 from Trutlands without the core charge. Sooooo needless to say if its not completely gernaded inside I will have an interesting tutorial on how to rebuild a 348 tranny for the board here!

Hopefully more later.

13. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I probably have the parts you need for repair-complete tranny less drop gear and 2 bearings. Email or call-sent you a private message.

14. Leweyb

Leweyb Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    East Hampton
    I hate it when that happens.....

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    John:

there's this little test called magaflux. Should be done to major components before each and every season.

Art

16. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    OK, so what is it all about?

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Did something similar, but mine was a slow grind. Cost? around 8K for a used one installed. Call GT Autoparts in AZ. Oh yeah, my old one was a drop gear challenge box. "Michelotti" style.

18. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    no wonder challange cars /tracked cars are cheaper than the streeters! holy cow....

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Actually the tracked cars hold up better. All the worst cars I ever worked on were badly repaired streetcars!

When was the last time you changed your oil? I change mine after every track weekend...that's 11 qts synthetic plus filter! When was the last time you changed your brake fluid? Mine is always new. I bleed out at least 1/2 pint every track day. I race my car only and my clutch is home made from Ferrari OEM parts and I have run it for 5 years.

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well it looks like I'm in the "tranny done blow'd up" club too.

I changed the gear box oil about 4 months ago after I heard the tranny whining. After I changed it and the oil draind into the pan I found aroun 5-6 metal bits about the size of my finger nail. The look like the retaining clips for the bearings. Mine was doing the same thing as JJ's. It wouldn't go into 5th, and then it didn't want to come out of first.

So today after letting the car sit for a few months I finally got the gumption to start working on it.

I drained all the gear box oil and then removed the inspection plate on the bottom of the gear box. What do I see? The gear at the back of the trany all chewed up. It is the one that is closest to the flywheel.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

So this one isn't gonna be cheap.

I prepped the trany for removal. Disconnect both CV joints, disconnected the parking break cable, removed the cross bars on the bottom of the subframe, and loosend the bolts holding the traning to the engine.

Tomorrow I'll remove the rear bumper, and maybe the mufflers if I have enough time because I have to work later in the day.

21. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Ouch. For the 348 Brotherhood Ernie, what gear oil were you using all along?

Wouldn't the gear release/gear-shift problem be related to bad/failed synchros??

I take it that the tranny has to be removed to disassemble and replace the "chewed up" gear near the flywheel. Any bad flywheel noises?

I trust that you are taking pictures for this operation. It sounds as though we all may need it eventually.

Also, did you have the ZMax tranny warranty via adding their fluid every 6 months? It would be interesting to see if they really would pay up their $1,500 limit. Knowing that alone would have value.

22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I was using Mobil 1, 75w90 for the gear oil.

I do think that the gear not releasing is due to a bad synchro. I was hoping that was all the was wrong, but it wasn't.

So yup, I do have to pull the tranny and over haul it. Good thing is that I'll be doing the work so I won't get raked over the coals with labor charges. I may take it over to Billybobs and work on it with him. But I'm still leaning on doing it at my place.

Oh and I haven't taken any pics. But maybe I should cause this won't be the last time someone has to pull a 348 tranny.

Well I'm off to remove the rear bumper.

23. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    John, what gear oil were you using when your tranny failed?

24. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    In defence of Mobile 1, the tranny already was having the problem. I changed the oil to see if it was due to the old oil, but it wasn't. The Mobile 1 had less than 40 miles on it. So I wasted all the new oil, ahhhhhh. Also I did notice it was easier to shift with the Mobile 1.

Anyway the bumper is off, and I'll be tearing into it more tomorrow. I may have it out tomorrow or the day after. I just depends on how much I want to work on it that day.

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    JJ,

Chubbie here. Ernie and I are going to do his box so keep in contact with us. Are you interested in making some drop gears for even more acceleration? We have been talking about having some gears made. It would be kinda fun to surprise some 355's.