Matching Wheel Paint | FerrariChat

Matching Wheel Paint

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peterp, Oct 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I would like to touch up a few spots on my Mondial 3.2 wheels -- they don't need refinishing, just minor touch-up. I thought I could go to a paint shop and have them mix custom match paint, but I've been to two body shops so far and the first wouldn't try and the second was very helpful but indicated that the match would be poor and difficult to apply because their paint is only meant to be sprayed on. Is there an chain store or shop in the NY/NJ area that offers color-matched touch-up paint? I've several threads indicating that other have received specially mixed touch-up from paint shops, so I was a little suprised by the response from these shops.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A paint SUPPLY vendor can scan and match the color no worries, but mine here puts it up in a spray can for about $24.

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Got it -- paint supply house rather than body shop -- googling now for local automotive paint distributor (so far no luck)...

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Although I couldn't find a paint supplier that would match the paint, I was able to find an "off the shelf" touch-up paint that is a near perfect match. The paint is Dupli-color "Quicksilver 262 Suburu" -- part number is SU 01345. This is a very close match -- last time I tried off the shelf paint I had three different shades of silver and all of them were too dark -- if anybody is looking for touch-up paint for wheels, this one is a very close match. I found the paint at AutoZone, but Dupli-color is available at most auto parts stores.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Excellent! Thanks!

I'm spraying a whole set this weekend using the Griot's Kit..technically should NOT use the clear coat but I'm not that particular so will probably shot it for added protection of the base coat.

You are right though, most silvers are too dark or too 'sparkily'...:rolleyes:

6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've heard good things about the Griot's kit -- would love to see before and after pics

7. 308man

308man Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe Calareso
    I'm told that Napa stores will match a color in spray can.

8. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I just painted the wheels on my '92 NSX with Griot's German wheel paint and they turned out super. Make sure your wheels are thorough cleaned and sanded well and use a good primer. My wheels were a mess and now they look factory-new.

9. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    I tried the Dupli-color Quicksilver 262 Suburu #SU 01345 on my F355 wheels and the match was perfect!
    Thanks for the tip, a well spent $5.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Second Griots - fast and easy

11. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Does anyone know if the paint is the same color on 328 wheels ?
    (1987 pre-ABS)

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Glad it worked for you. My 6-year-old son, whose eyes are much better than mine, is the one who found the match. I brought in the wheel and we looked at many shades of silver that looked close to me, but he was certain the Suburu was the one.

13. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    I've read several threads on the refinishing process (I have a set of 348 wheels that I need to refinish before installing them on my Mondial), but I've not seen anything that advises on how to "fill" nicks, scrapes, gouges, etc.....Do any of you have any recommendations on how (and with what) those voids can be filled prior to painting?

Also, a couple of very small places on the outer edge of these wheels have scrapes down to the bare metal, and it's my understanding that something in addition to zinc chromate primer should be used for these areas. Is this the general thinking on this? One thread mentioned using MAGNA-DYNE E-2390 CONVERSION COATING, which is "a brush-on, wash-off chromic acid treatment for aircraft magnesium alloy surfaces. Provides corrosion protection and improved primer adhesion...." as the product to use.

Basically, I'd like to do these wheels myself, but I just want to make sure (1) the substrate is properly prepared and (2) I know what process needs to be followed to fill the nicks and other depressions. Any help would be appreciated....Thanks.

14. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I had quite a few small dings, gouges and scrapes on my NSX wheels and I filled them with bondo. They turned out great and ,after 5k miles, have held up well to date. It's absolutely critical to do a very thorough sanding/cleaning in any area which you use any type of filler on. If the edge scrapes are near where tire installers work, forget about filler. It'll look worse once they're done. Re: the curb scrapes, I just blended via sanding and it turned out good-enough.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry, so far I only have "before' pics!

I'd second the chip thing on the rim, try to feather those in with primer paint. On the back side i hade some bad grooves from a tire machine, and used a skim coat of polyester body filler to fill those.......don't have the name handy but it was a two part system, simliar to Bondo, I suppose, but harder as a finish coating ......

16. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Makes sense what y'all are saying about the chips very close to the edge. I can see a tire machine removing filler material easily.

With regard to the small area of bare metal on the very edge of the rim, is it necessary to prepare that surface with the wash (as I included in the post above) or will the zinc chromate primer suffice for this purpose?

17. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Forgot to ask: what sanding material do you find to be most productive / easiest to use? I was considering using ScotchBrite pads (of various grits) due to their flexibility, but if other material is recommended, please advise (also, grit numbers)

Thanks.