The Ebay chinese wheels...... | FerrariChat

The Ebay chinese wheels......

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Capone, Oct 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capone

Capone Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Midwest
    are down to $425!!! LOL. I'm almost tempted!

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yeah, but they want $225 for shipping... I guess it's a way to avoid some of the eBay fees since they don't charge a sell % for the shipping price.

3. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Someone post a link,....i gotta see these.

4. WillW

WillW Karting

May 23, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Their web page seems to be down, I checked that couple of days ago and "page name" was for sale. So will they supply those wheels??
    Live in UK and would be happy to buy a set at thet price, but shipping seems to be problem as they ship only to US. Any idea how could I get them here?

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If they can get them over here fancy trying to setup a bulk buy?

6. WillW

WillW Karting

May 23, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Sound like a good idea, that price is really attractive. I know these wheels are not high quality but still should be similar as most decent price alloys. More show than go...

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Must've been a typo... or someone took them up on it. They're now listing at $1495!! But that *is* for a set of 4.

http://stores.ebay.com/OEM-Styles-4-Less

These are from the FChat sponsor Highline Wheels that got raked over the coals some months ago about giving FChat members a "special rate" that was higher than what they were charging on eBay! Also note that they're "modular style" from a company called "Modular Wheels" and not true 2-piece or 3-piece wheels... the ring of bolts is fake.

8. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Has anyone bought these? How bad can a wheel be?

9. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    How bad can a wheel be?

It can have porosity in the casting and constantly leak air.

It can have porosity, contaminates etc in the casting and crack or fail at speed. I repeat...fail at speed.

It can be heavy and cost you performance.

It can flex if not designed and tested correctly.

It can be inherently out of balance due to design/manufacture problems.

The runout can be out of spec and cause a "wobble" and destroy wheel brearings etc...

etc...etc...

I know nothing about the particular wheels or manufacturer in question. I do know that cheap parts from china are usually knock-offs of a quality product. Wheels are not a place to try to save a buck. Smart money buys trusted and quality brands.
    -Eric

10. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Forget it, asked them about shipping outside USA and they will NOT use anything other than DHL, which naturally cost a TON!

11. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    You have just about summed up my thoughts;)

12. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I bought them for my 456. I really liked the styling when I saw them. I'm not really a wheel guy but I needed a set of wheels for winter tires. I haven't mounted them yet but I'm very pleased with the weight, look and quality - probably better than my last set of AMG wheels.

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I din't know if I'd buy from these guys.

They have some pretty nasty feedback, and my experience with ebay tells me anyone with more than a couple of negatives and neutrals is gonna be trouble.

DM

14. AutoConcierge

AutoConcierge Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Willis
    there is tons of history with this company, this past week i attended the sema show and was in there booth. they had some new styles that are COPIES of established tuner wheels and the best part of the display was not the wheels ,but a very attractive young lady in a one piece jump suit with integrated hot pants!. it's a funny observation that i made, the less the quality the more pretty girls, the products could not attract on merrit alone, and the guys in the booth had poor application knowledge, and no display car. my 02.

15. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    a friend of mine boutgh some chinese wheels for his 246 dino and they work just fine, it's been 2 years since he purchased them and he has no complaints about them whatsoever!!

16. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Looking at their eBay history, it doesn't look like a very good company to say the least.

17. TBM700

TBM700 Rookie

Nov 14, 2005
    are these wheels any good, I have a 02 360 spyder and looking for modular wheels hre or factory the price is right but you get what you pay for any help on this would be great.

18. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Where did you guys get the "Made in China"? The ebay link says "Manufactured European Union" or "Original equipment replica manufactured in Italy."

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Wheels are like a parachute, you only need a problem to happen once to ruin your day. Like the man said "Wheels are not the place to save money", and I will add, especially on a high performance car.

You bought a Ferrari because of what it can do, buy wheels that will allow it to do it safely.

20. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Their text / wording description in the auction is misleading. It only implies European origin by using the word "design". Also they way they use the word "Modular style" style as in "looks like". in other words faux modular.

If you are at all interested in purchasing ask for, no rather demand, documentation of country of origin. That's a Federal requirement for ALL foreign goods sold in the US.

One of their feedbacks from an unhappy buyer was probably a bit surprised when he expected European / Italian manufacturer and saw the words "Made in China" (or probably worse "Hecho en China" cast in the wheel.

Also if you still want to put wheels of questionable quality on your high performance vehicle be sure to get the sellers documentations of insurance. If there is a catastrophic failure of the wheel and you are still alive (or your estate on your familys behalf) has to sue, you want to make sure they have coverage. Usually if a actual manufacturer is a quality house they will supply to their distributors and re-sellers indemnification and the back up documentation and they would take on the burden of the product liability insurance.

I'm sure that when you buy a set of their wheels you will not be signing a waiver of liability. Be careful as it might be in the "small print" that the wheels are not for street use" or "racing only". Otherwise your family may only get a set of replacement wheels per the warranty. They'd make nice gravestones :^P

JD

21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Interesting.

Mind you I was just playing devil's advocate above.

22. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Let them buy the wheels if they are trying to rationalize it. The voices are reason seem pretty clear....

23. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I bought a set from Ebay and you can see pictures of them in the TR section one cautionb I would offer you need a very thin wall socket to get at the bolts to torque them otherwise the quality looks fine delivery and customer service were good which is consistent with their scores on ebay.