348: best spacers setup / tried them all | FerrariChat

348: best spacers setup / tried them all

Discussion in '348/355' started by henkie, Nov 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Hello people

Well as some of you might remember I wasn't so fond of the 348's roadholding performance with our European way of driving after my Porsches and Audi TT.

I rebalanced the wheels one week / tried several tire pressures after I bought it but wasn't happy neither.
    So I bought this summer the 25mm and 15mm spacers from our lovely sponsor Hill Engineering.
    That was a huge improvement, but I wasn't convinced neither.
    I mean, Jesus, we're talking about a Ferrari, not an old MR2...

So someone told me to take off the 15mm spacers at the front and leave the 25's on the rear.
    In fact, last weekend I tried it all.
    15 mm on the rear / no spacers at all / 25mm only at the rear and for a joke only the 15mm on the front, nothing on the rear.
    Also several tirepressures for my Pirelli P700Z.
    With all these setups I went riding for 10 miles. Taking 2 roundabouts on the limit of drifting out and 2 very fast exits of the highway..

I have come to the following conclusion:
    25 mm on the rear ONLY and tirepressures like the doorsticker tells me (2,4 bar - 2,6 bar =34,78 and 37,69 psi) is AWESOME !

The car never felt as good like this. Roadholding in the exits is very good.
    In fact the car gave me the best ride last sunday ever since I have it.
    With this setup I had to go really very fast to get the rear braking out on the 2 roundabouts near my house. The car was like glued. I like it !!!!

Of course just my experience, but hey.. we all have the same 348's right ?
    Well, as I have a late 93 car my suspension is different than the earlier cars due to a factory upgrade. But I recommend this !!

2. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    i agree about the spacers,But if you get a chance put a set of Speedline challenge wheels on with the spacers, you will not believe the differance.

Andy.

3. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Henkie, that is the EXACT setup I found to be the best combination on my 91 ts. I also tried different combinations with little or no success.

Even after the rear spacers were installed, I didn't notice a whole lot better handling until I upped the rear and front tire pressures.

Another thing you might check is the tire temperature (I use a digital thermometer) after a spirited drive. I checked mine one day and noticed the difference in the inner and outer surfaces of the tires. This told me that I had way too much negative camber.

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Thanks for the info. I think I will try the setup you suggest. I was thinking of getting a re-alignment because of the front spacers. The car seems to want to turn and not hold a straight line currently (15mm front, 25mm rear).
    :)
    BT

5. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Funny, that is pretty much the setup I am running with the 360 wheels...They are 15mm wider in the front then stock, and 41mm wider in the back then stock, a difference of 26mm from back to front, same as yours give or take 1mm.

6. julian_blk348

julian_blk348 Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Julian
    TMobileguy,

I have front/rear spacers on mine and am getting ready to put on a set of 360 wheels. Do I keep the spacers on or remove them completely? Please let me know so I do it right the first time.

Thanks!

7. john348

john348 Rookie

Mar 15, 2005
    Brackley
    Full Name:
    John Pragnell
    I am interested because what I have heard before is to ignore the published pressures and run at the highest at 30psi. Mine was nervous on bumpy roads until I dropped the pressures a bit. I have 25mm spacers on the back and the car is a gtb (late 93).

On the track I was told by an instructor that the car handled well with perhaps slightly soft springs in the rear. But of course the track was nice and smooth compared to roads! I wonder what peoples experiences of springs are?

John

8. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
  9. julian_blk348

julian_blk348 Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Chrisx666,

Thanks so much for the thread - now I know to remove the spacers first before slapping on the 360 wheels. After having back surgery, I can't afford to be doing any heavy labor twice... actually I shouldn't even be doing any hard labor :(

10. crxmaniac

crxmaniac Rookie

May 19, 2007
    hello I am wondering of buying aftermarkets wheels for my ferrari 348ts 91. Wondering if I can buy 19" for my car, but what about the offset?

11. candellara

candellara Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Chichester, UK
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Andy,

Got myself some Challenge rims coming from Enrique in Spain.

I'm currently running 355 rims with 25mm rear spacers and 15mm front.

I just swap the wheels out leaving all spacers in place / same wheel bolts etc?

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

^^ I have this setup and have removed the spacers from my car. With Challenge wheels, there would simply be too much exposed tire beyond the wheel well (in my opinion)

13. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    355 wheels and 15mm spacers only in the rear. I suppose there's more room for wider, but the tires would stick out too much and throw crap all over the lower quarter panel. Why is it no one believes us when we say not to put spacers up front? It's the stagger, baby.

14. DesH

DesH Karting

May 10, 2007
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Des
    I'n just looking at ordering some 25mm spacers also and am trying to decide between Type 1 and Type 2, are there any advantages / disadvantages ?? Having read the thread about PAP's failed stock bolts its making me sway towards the Type 1 that comes with Hill's own bolts for safety. Its an extra £30 but since I just ordered a new X-Ost today its really just a drop in the ocean !!!

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

YES, 15 or 25 in the back with nothing in the front is the "ideal" setup. But, to be perfectly candid, when I ran my spacers I did 25 back and 15 front because I wanted the more aggressive front appearance. I knew it was not the ideal setup for certainly applications, and thus removed the front spacers (15mm) for track days and ran 25mm only in the back. Once I was back on the street, the 15mm were reinstalled on the front for purely aesthetic reasons.

With Challenge wheels now, I don't have any spacers on my car.

16. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    That is exactly what I am running.... :D!!!

BTW, Daniel can one buy the 355 spacers without bolts??

17. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    +1

18. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    #19 mad dog, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I kept the 15mm spacers on the rear when upgraded to the 355 C rims, I also run pirelli rosso at 3.2 front 3.0 rear and found that good, indeed just won a couple of sprints with that set up - my first wins so somethings right. Your right rear tyres do stand out, but have a track set up day on Thursday to check best set up, a whole day and only 5 of us there, so no excuses!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    Keeping then white Jason? And are you telling how much they cost you????

20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #21 PAP 348, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Your car looks too clean Pap........... :rolleyes:.....:p

22. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Are you implying that I do not drive it enough.........:eek::mad::mad:

Hey.............you would be correct in saying that gothy!! :eek::eek::eek:

23. candellara

candellara Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Chichester, UK
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Andy, yes - keeping them white :)

Couple of questions for you. I have Type 2 spacers 25mm rear and 15mm front. Should i just swap the 15mm front spacers onto the rear and will the rear wheel bolts be ok?. If i run no spacers on the front can i use the existing bolts (as i believe longer bolts are used when running front spacers?)

I hope this makes sense?

24. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    sorry not sure about this. type 2 spacers - hills - are the ones that use standard bolts and separately bolt onto hub are they not? type 1 use longer bolts. 15mm only comes in type 1 i think. so i reckon you have type 1 at front and 2 at rear?

let me know - anyway length of bolts needed is basically the same as standard. so if swapping like for like then ok. if taking off a type 1 you will need standard length instead of longer bolts at front. but then if you have a type 1 15mm at front and type 2 at rear you could use rear bolts with no spacer at front and longer bolts with 15mm type 1 at rear.
    but also look at how it looks without spacer at rear, the rim is so much wider it gives you the look and i think handling without spacer, but will be checking that tomorrow.