440hp Dynoplotted Challenge Stradale | FerrariChat

440hp Dynoplotted Challenge Stradale

Discussion in '360/430' started by 15hn, Nov 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    #1 15hn, Nov 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just had my car dynoplotted today by Weltmeister at Silverstone (probably the most accurate facility in the whole of the UK). The car had previously shown a dissapointing 391hp. Most of you will be aware that Ferrari's rarely ever dyno stock power.

The car has fitted Tubi manifolds, Tubi NGT muffler, Tubi sport cats and Tubi air filters together with the Challenge Ram intake. I did feel the car to be quicker prior to the run. The car wheel spins in 2nd gear in the dry.

Also in the run was a GT3 RS (it was a shootout to settle a long standing argument). The RS showed 403hp (approx 20hp over stock). Allan at Weltmeister confirmed that most RS' show around 400-410hp (the most being 420hp). Porsches and particularly the RS is known to have more power than what Porsche actually claims. If anyone is interested I also have the GT3 RS dynoplot laid over the CS plot and some pics.

Many thanks to Allan at Weltmeister for todays run and to Scuderia Systems for supplying the Tubi equipment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. derek a

derek a Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    CA OR
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Show the overlaid GT3 RS plot!

3. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Just interested but why do you think this?

Quote:

(probably the most accurate facility in the whole of the UK).

Have you had experience of other rolling roads in the UK? The reason I ask is I'm about to use a rolling road for some development work and I'm yet to make a choice as to which one?

Thanks

Bernard

4. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Im no expert but I believe its partly down to the Dyno Dynamics product and airflow (Weltmeister have 100,000 ft cu per min of fresh cold dense air being pumped in the dyno cell) . Also Evo use Weltmeister to dyno their cars as opposed to relying on manufacturers quotes. This link may be helpful :-

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=219562&f=48&h=0

5. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I am having a seriously difficult time believing the car is putting down 440whp with intake/cats/exhaust. Some details, please:

Are those numbers SAE corrected? is that a crank estimation, or is it wheel horsepower?

It is highly improbable that you picked up 50hp from a naturally aspirated motor which comes from the factory in such a high state of tune...and even more spectacular considering that the manufacturer power ratings are at the crank, not the wheels, while most dynos show wheel horsepower. That means you have supposedly picked up roughly 65hp from intake, cats, and exhaust.

The GT3 dyno claims you made are also dubious, considering some google searches yield 996 GT3 dyno sheets averaging significantly less than the factory 380hp (which is crank hp). Some cars with modifications were making close to 380whp, and very few made 400+.

Not trying to call you out, but I do think those dyno numbers are optimistic.

6. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Richard,

I believe the power figures are hp at the flywheel. A stock Euro CS should show 425hp. I have yet to see or hear of one that does despite what Ferrari says.

I cannot say what hp the mods have given as we have not carried out true before and after runs.

What I am saying is that I have used the most accurate facility I know of in the UK (the same one that Evo uses) and they tell me that is the power the car is producing. If you read the post by Weltmeister in the link above you will see that they say they have done everything they possibly could to give as accurate figures as possible.

Hope this helps.

Harry.

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    In my book, that is the whole point behind dyno use.
    To give a baseline figure to work from.
    That way you know for sure what each mod does to your figures.
    Other wise you are just guessing.

8. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    The purpose for us was to ascertain which had more hp. The CS or the RS. It was a shootout for the hell/fun of it.

I carried out the mods primarily for the sound. Lets just assume they give zero hp and my CS is a freaky example which produces slightly more hp than stock... I would still be happy because (a) it sounds far better than stock (b) the headers are a work of art and look much better in the engine bay than stock (c) the whole system is lighter (d) the blue flames look good in the dark and (e) I have a CS which according to this dynoplot produces more than 400hp!

9. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    If they are RWHP (rear wheel HP), then Ferrari's drive train is SO good that it actually increases the engine's output. Perhaps, a magical inertia-multiplyer concocted by Guiseppe in his spare time. NO offense, but if you get 391 RWHP, you should be real happy. I've owned a few F cars and have always been dispappointed by their real (dynoed) HP when compared to what is claimed. I would expect the CS RWHP to be near 380HP (or less).

10. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    It's obviously not whp... first, he says 'hp' instead of whp. Second, Porsche claims 380bhp from the GT3. If he says it makes 20 more than expected, and it came out to 400, then 400-20 is 380, which is the claimed crank hp.

440hp ain't bad, imagine what the numbers would have been if the CS actually made its claimed horsepower :p

11. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    It cannot be wheel horsepower. That should be obvious from the figures...... derr....

Anyway it is the flywheel BHP extrapolated from the wheels.
    If the Ferrari was producing roughly 405-410bhp as standard then 25 or so horspower with the COMPLETE tubi exhaust (inc headers) + intake mods isn't too improbable.
    Incidentally, no GT3 RS in the entire country (UK) has ever dynoed less than 400bhp.... Everyone knows that Porsche have been conservative with their BHP figures on the GT models. The stock GT3 normally dynos around 390bhp anyway so for the RS engine to produce more than 400bhp is perfectly consistent.

I can confirm that Weltmeister are supposed to be THE premier dyno facility in the UK.

12. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    To clarify it is hp at the FLYWHEEL as stated PREVIOUSLY.

I would expect a CS to typically dyno 380-390hp at the FLYWHEEL.

If anyone else has dynoed their CS it would be interesting to hear the results. Anyone?

13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    and Im certain with Hyperflow flow cats and the Eurotek designs ECU remap
    well see 440 BHP. I will also take my Porsche TT along for comparison, which should manage 500 I hope.....

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Harry,
    can you pls post pics of Tubi back box and headers? Is your car the Blk CS i've seen @ Karl's?

15. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    440hp is alot more then I expected but exhaust manifolds do improve a Ferrari's performance greatly.

16. utkarsh

utkarsh Rookie

Nov 6, 2005
    if any of you guys are interested in purchasing a tubi NGT mine is for sale on ferrariads

17. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    The word on the street is the stock Stradale exhaust in the ultimate, and beter than afterarket products. I guy that does some work for me trys to buy my stock one everytime I see him.

18. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    #18 15hn, Nov 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The stock CS exhaust system is made by Tubi. The Tubi NGT is the same system fitted to the FIA NGT cars. It sounds much better than stock and is also much lighter. I have single exit pipes which look that much more purposeful.

There are pics of the NGT muffler elsewhere on the site. I dont have any I'm afraid.

A camera phone pic of the Tubi equal length headers is attached (they are insulated like the cats).

RichardCH look forward to seeing your plot. Have you ever had your car dynoed before?

I will also dig out the RS/CS overlay dynoplot. BTW the CS v RS argument has not been settled. Allegedly the RS still keeps up with my CS despite having less HP. Next round will be timed 1/4 mile strip!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    what you need now is to run a standard CS and see whats what! If u have 440 HP, consider it a GODSEND. most US cars prolly have about 380 HP @ the crank.

20. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    And you know this because ....... ?????

21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    15hn this will indeed be my first ever dyno run, should have done it before the Eurotek Designs ECU remap and Hyperflow Cats but I know it will definitely post a significant improvement !

22. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    ...is this really a question? the car routinely puts down about 320 RWHP, would u say that 15% is a realistic drive train loss?

23. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    As a point of reference I had my CS dyno'd last week. Made 379 at the wheels with NGT and straight pipes.

24. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Rennen, thats great! wow, I remember a few guys here were so dissapoited with their numbers, all kinds of stuff was coming up "inneficient transmission" "ram air effect" all seem to be good excuses, maybe urs is SUPER strong!

25. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul