NaPerformance Double Standard in Performance Chips? | FerrariChat

NaPerformance Double Standard in Performance Chips?

Discussion in '360/430' started by shawsan, Nov 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Naperformance.com provides a very nice write up regarding the advantages of reprograming the ECU on a 360 (and other models) by EUROTEC to gain 30 more HP and a whopping 63ft/lbs of Torque for $3,995. And the real bonus, according to NaPerformance is that the ECU doesn't have to go through the horrid, undesirable process of being detached, then resoldered again, thus violating warranties and suggesting tampering. WOW, let's do it.

BUT, then on the same webpost, NaPerformance.com offers Powerchip, another ECU chip modifier, which raises HP by only 20, again at a cost of $3,995. But, whoa! it DOES involve the horrid, undesirable process of detaching the ECU and then having to resolder it again.

So what's the sorry here NaPerformance? You gained my confidence with the EUROTEC sales pitch for $3,995 BUT THEN SABOTAGED my confidence when you offered the more intrusive, poorer performing POWERCHIP for the same price of $3,995. My reading says: if you believe in your own EUROTEC write up, you wouldn't even offer your clients Powerchip. Please correct me if I'm mistaken about this. Cheers, Paul

98 355 Spider F1
    04 360 Modena F1

2. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Powerchip is an Internationally recognised brand. What is wrong with him offering both?

3. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon

hmmmm.... why don't you just send them an email and ask them yourself before blasting someone here on these boards?
    gordon

4. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Paul,

I offer Capristo and Kreis-sieg exhausts, I offer GruppeM and Novitec Rosso Carbon Fiber Intakes. I offer CCW and HRE wheels. There's a pattern to all of this. I offer my customers a choice. When you call me up I don't tell you HRE wheels are the best because I make more money on them because CCW offers terrible wholesale rates. I give you the negatives and positives of both wheels and I let you make the decision.

I'm a retailer not a manufacturer (for the most part which I will address later in this post). So whenever you call me up and ask me what part is better, I'm going to give you honest feedback based on what my customers have had experience and that's that, I am not a manufacturer of these parts, I am a retailer. Now when it comes to my manifolds, if you call me, of course I'm going to be biased and try to push my manifolds. Why? Because I am the manufacturer of these manifolds. I invested a substantial amount into R&D so I could stand behind these manifolds and call me and I will do my best so you will purchase them over the competitors. So if you want an unbiased opinion on manifolds call someone who offers both Fiorano and NAPerformance. Don't call me or Fiorano.

So when it all comes down to your original question, I like the Eurotek more. Why? Because I get better feedback on it. The ECU part of this business is a tricky business. When I sell you an ECU there is a 100% moneyback gurantee on them. If you're not happy with your ECU you get 100% of your money back. If both companies are offering this, I don't mind carrying them both.

I do appreciate your concern however, when I recommend one brand over the other it might seem confusing why I would offer the other but again it's all choice, I hate being the shop that carries only one exhaust brand or one ECU brand because at that point I will become biased.

Hope I explained myself well, if there's anything I missed or you have any other questions just post them here or contact me privately. Otherwise take care and enjoy your motoring.

Regards,
    Kevin

5. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    So! is NA the only company in the world that offers two competing Products maybe you should take a look at the real world of advertising. I also agree with the previous post and call or email Kevin they are decent folks to deal with.

6. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks Kevin for your response. Fair enough, and thanks for clarifying your preference for the Eurotec tuning and acknowledging the points about not having to detach and resolder the ECU. This latter issue has been a big one in my mind and when your site described so many of the Eurotec benefits of avoiding detachment/resoldering, I was suprised you'd still offer Powerchip which requires it. But I do understand the necessity and importance of carrying everyone's products -- unless there's a fundamental moral flaw -- and thus giving both your suppliers and clients as much choice as possible.

Again, thanks, and no offense intended. Cheers, Paul

7. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Paul,

Not a problem, when you're making a $4,000 purchase it's extremely important to make sure you're getting the best product for your money. I understand your concern and if I was in your shoes I would ponder the same thing. There are some things in this business that still don't make sense to me but I guess it goes both ways. Glad I could clear it up for you and if there's anything else you need in the future let me know.

Regards,
    Kevin

8. Fly'n DutchMan

Fly'n DutchMan Karting

Oct 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills CA
    Full Name:
    Sander Brouwers
    CCW wheels are awesome. That's my M3 in the Performance BMW magazine linked on their site....

www.ccwheel.com

9. Dusty @ MVP

Dusty @ MVP Karting

Oct 10, 2004
    Paradise, TX
    Full Name:
    Dusty Womack
    Kevin and NAperformance is a great person and company to deal with. Very honest and up front. I have bought several products from Kevin and would not hesitate to do so again!

His company offering multiple choices just makes it all the better and easier to deal with. Choices are healthy and ultimately benefit the consumers!

Regards,

Dusty

10. F430CS

F430CS Rookie

Feb 14, 2006
    LA, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    go with Powerchip hands down they are the best. They are also located right here in Los Angeles, CA.

Yes you do need to send your ECU or take it to them, but once it is installed you have the extra performance for life. And don't tell me you drive your F-car everyday...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138106

I just got my BGT done last week. Cheers!

11. F430CS

F430CS Rookie

Feb 14, 2006
    LA, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
  12. Big Carrot

Big Carrot Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Crockett
    HAHA!! John is pretty stingy with his profits, isn't he? $100 or so to sell a $3k set of wheels!

13. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    post pics of before-chip and after-chip dynos please.
    no dynos = no proof of +hp gain

14. krhule

krhule Rookie

Nov 25, 2006
    Are any of these performance chips available for the 430 yet?

15. azew

azew Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2006
    New York
    I would love to know as well.

16. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    You took that nicely. I guess that is why you are so successful.

17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    This topic is coming up as frequently as the timing belt issue.

We beat this horse to death a while ago and came to the conclusion that w/o actual proof from the software writers to substantiate their claims that we are talking horse manure here.

What seems to give the greatest advantage is optimizing the ECU for either 91 or 93 octance depending on where you live and what's available at the pump.

Apparently ECU's adjust somewhat for octane ratings but work best when optimized for a particular octane rating. This makes good sense to me, but I'd have to buy a hell of a lot of gas to make up for the $4K these folks want for thier software upgrades.

Does it make sense that those HP gains can be achieved? I think not, and as a result of that thread I did not stand alone in my beliefs.

Does anyone really need a 9K RPM rev limit?

I think those who have spent the $ on an ECU upgrade "believe" they have the gains but cannot verify them.

I think, as Riverflyer found out, you can get better results with the high flow cats, better exhaust, and BMC air filters.

Search for that thread. It should end the discussions on this thread.

Hubert's correct and puts them all to shame with his twin turbos!

BTW, anyone for a timing belt controversy?

18. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    this thread was from 2005...and now it's back again...nothing has changed...still NO RELIABLE PROOF from such chip upgrades.

19. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Exactly.

SinghAutoHaus at least is reasonable around $1,200.00, and they told me the overwhelming response they get is the increased fuel mileage.

Still a lot of $ in gas to make up that difference!

20. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

#20 Joe Mac, Feb 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know Eurotek does for sure, the price is $7,995.

Hubert,

As far as this goes I have been doing dyno testing of different ECU's and without bashing anybody (yet, I plan on making a public post in the future) not one has given the claims they have gained. All testing is being done on a 99 360, I can't believe what some of these companies claim... We may eventually just start doing our own ECU's and be truthful about the 5-6hp you'll gain.

22. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo

And this in reality is probably all one really ends up with.

Again, SingAutohaus said the most notable change was an improvement in gas mileage. That was for $1,200.00.

How much driving time on a limited driving vehicle before you recover that cost?

Does not make sense.

23. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Regardless of what Naperformance or anyone else states, altering ANYTHING may and probably will void your factory warranty.

24. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    that is awesome! i cant wait to see the dynos

25. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    I, for one, am very grateful that you put in the effort to uncover the truth (that most of us knew anyway) behind all of this!

I have heard that Evotech makes a 430 chip. They claim, and they seem to be honest, that their 360 chip they make doesn't make too much extra horsepower but that the 430 chip actually does make a significant improvement in performance... I'll try to get more details.