New Gallardo - The First Two Weeks | FerrariChat

New Gallardo - The First Two Weeks

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Billy The Kidd, Nov 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Billy The Kidd

Billy The Kidd Karting

Nov 1, 2005
    Boston || Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Billy Mead
    Hello!

It's been quite a two weeks since I took delivery of the '04 Gallardo from Domani Motors

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135348841&postcount=40

This is a bit long winded so only proceed if you have a lot of time on your hands.

After the purchase went though the count down for delivery began. After a few days I get a call the driver was 6 hours away… that 6 hours turns into 14 hours. This was only the first in a series of ongoing issues. The night the driver (Exotic Transport) drove the car off the truck at 4:00 a.m., the engine started surging and my heart sank. I planned for the worse but it turned out that the car was delivered completely out of gas! I mean so empty that I think if I had left the car running for another 60 seconds it would have drained the system (which I later heard was very bad for the catalytic converter). I went to a 24 hour gas station and filled a 5 gallon can. Within minutes I was off in the early morning light for the first test drive.

After a short nap I drove the car to work and spent the day admiring her from my corner office. But at the end of the day when I went to leave, I turned the key and nothing happened... no crank, nothing. There was adequately power for lights and systems but the voltage meter was very low (I think 6 Volts?). Figured I left the interior lights on… and it’s dark and frigging cold. I call Amex roadside assistance for a jump after checking in with Lamborghini Boston to make sure a jump is permissible. They cleared that a jump was ok and within an hour I was back on the road.

Next day it was nice weather again so it’s off to work, but at the end of the day it was the same story. Now I’m annoyed and call Lamborghini Roadside to get it on a flat bed and up to Lamborghini Boston for a check out. The next day Todd confirms a bad battery and orders a new one. I ask for a Post Purchase Inspection and also mention that the brakes were squeaking loudly. Also, the car was programmed for the metric system and I’m too stupid to have any idea how to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. Todd is great and gets the car right in and has it ready just a few days later. But I found out later they forget to check the squeaky brakes. But I buy a lovely new car cover and forget about the brakes for the time being.

A few days later my mum has an emergency surgery and on the way out of town I grab the car for the 6 hour drive from Boston to Burlington VT. Another gorgeous day and I cannot wait for the drive which is freeway the entire 6 hours though New Hampshire and Vermont mountains. I get to Burlington and her surgery went fine and I decide to stay a week. This may be a good time to also mention the extreme amount of attention this car receives especially when passing though upper New England. I am embarrassed at times and if you lead a very busy and quick moving life (which I normally do) this may not be the car for you. Every time I leave or enter the car I usually need to spend a least 10 minutes answering questions and giving a tour! I am not complaining at all and I love the look on kids faces when I let them get in the car and have their pictures taken… priceless. A lot more attention than my 360 Spider.

So ok… I am in Burlington for five days and I am bored sh*tless and mums doing a lot better… in fact I am driving her nuts and vice versa. So I get the bright idea to go to Montreal for a few days. Now I am not sure if anyone has been following the weather here since Tuesday because I sure was not. We say our goodbyes and I leave around 4 p.m. in a light rain. But within an hour everything turned to utter chaos. I get up to Saint Albans and the rain has now turned to light snow. I’m thinking that everything will be fine as the car temperature display was reading 0 Celsius which I had in my head was 40-50 Fahrenheit. Dead wrong… that’s the freezing point.

Within 10 minutes I am at the 45 degree mark of the equator and around me is stopped traffic and 5 inches of new snow. I start thinking of Roytoy and feel better knowing that he drives his car in the snow and the Gallardo is AWD. Snow tires escaped my thinking though. It’s slow going and other that a few slips from a dead start all is well. But then it hits… another 15 minutes and a full blown Nor’easter slams Vermont. I am talking blizzard conditions where it’s a white out and visibility is 10 feet. Just seeing the brake lights of the car in front of you is next to impossible. The traffic also starts to thin out and I am thinking “where the hell is everyone going”? This is Northern Vermont where exits are 40 miles apart. There is no option other than to push on…. And it keeps getting worse. About 20 miles before the Canadian border the flakes get bigger and snow looks to be around 10-12” deep. The road looks like it was not plowed for a few hours and I am scared out of my parts. Hands glued to the wheel, I was praying out loud… when I see the sign for a rest area a mile up the road.

Pulling into the rest stop was a challenge as it was uphill and there was a 20 foot drop off on either side of the entrance but it looked like it had been plowed recently. I slowly build up speed to around 25 and start to have flash backs of childhood memories. But I get to the top ok and after a minute to regain consciousness I roll out of the car for a cigarette and a break. Of course the rest area is packed and within minutes it seems every person is around the car in disbelief. But the snow does seem to be coming down lighter for the time being. It's now I find out it’s been snowing up here most of the day and all of New England knew this but me.

After a break I start to become concerned with the options that lie ahead…. Sleep in a rest stop that’s about to close, leave the car and hitch a ride with an onlooker (whom already are questioning my mental state), or push on. I mistakenly choose to push on. The exit of the rest stop is the opposite of the entrance and I start a slow decent, but the car starts sliding off to the left side which also has a 15-20 drop off into a snow filled ditch. Like an IDIOT I hit the brakes, which of course accelerates the sliding and only when I am a few feet from the edge I remember to take my foot off the brakes… viola! The car corrects itself and I make it to the bottom of the hill and back onto the freeway. There are NO cars in sight and the snow just keeps coming… and I am still 100 miles from Montreal at this point in the story.

Part Two tomorrow with pictures for those still with me. It gets better.

Billy

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    nice write up esp during such a crazy road trip. i ve been toying with g car for all yr driving too. maybe u can find some snow tires when in montreal? tell us about color, interior, trans when get a chance. good luck and safe driving.

3. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Holy crap. That's a hell of an adventure thus far. This is great (the story, not your misfortunes). From how you've written your excerpt, at times I get the idea you're saddened to end up in this, but sometimes I get the ide a you're having a blast, being on the edge (no pun intended :D). Awesome to hear someone driving it in such heavy snow conditions, great to actualy see that an GCar holds up no matter what the conditions are. I'd love to hear that you made it to the end perfectly.

4. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    very nice color combo

5. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Can't wait for the rest of the story!!!
    Props for using the caras it should! Respect!

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I hope your experience so far has not disillusioned you. I guess we'll have to wait for the next installment to find out. In the meantime, at least with the 6.0, not sure if true with the Gallardo, unless you use the kill switch, the car when shut off constantly chews power. Although mine was delivered with a new battery, the truck travel from St. Louis, the PPI, and the eventual re-delivery by truck to my house yielded a dead battery. I have learned to keep the car on a trickler while it is parked at home.
    I've driven New England during those kinds of storms and it is a challenge even in a car equipped for that weather. I suspect the biggest drawback of the lambo is its low ground clearance, apart from not wanting to get that nasty fake salt they seem to spray with abundance up under the frame. (But with actual snow on the ground, that's probably not a problem). Good luck with your car. I also liked the color combo you chose- it is very elegant.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I didn't know Arsenio Hall lived in Tennessee, let alone was an F-Chatter. J/K!

Man, Super, that last paragraph... good thing I don't have a spastic colon! You either!

8. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Dear lord - that is better than TV!

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

9. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Very interesting story so far. I look forward to hearing more tomorrow. I hope the story has a happy ending.

10. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    awesome story so far. made me feel like i was actually there. i'm glad you're out enjoying the car. anxious to read the next installment.

11. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
  12. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    I dont think the one on ************* is his car because it has silver brake calipers and his car has black.

13. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Homer: "Oh no, he'll never make it out alive!"
    Marge: "Homer, he obviously survived if he wrote the story."

Reminds me of when I tried to brave the Alcan in my 650+hp Typhoon in December. I hope there's a happy ending for you.

14. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can you imagine driving through a blizzard, trying to follow the tail lights of the car in front of you, but staying far enough back so that you don't slide into it. The snow clears a little and you are close enough to see that the car in front of you is a Gallardo. I would sheite. Great story.

15. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Billy -
    I was just going to send you a PM because have not heard from you in a while and was going to ask how the new car is. Now I know. Good to see she will not be a garage queen. On the edge of my seat for Part II.

16. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    damn didnt realise the calipers were diff colors, oh well...

17. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    billy, first word came to mind "COURAGE".....

18. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    dude you freak'n crazy!!!

its scaring me just readin it! :D

19. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I will agree Todd at Lambo-Boston is a real good guy. My girlfriend got a 2006 Acura MDX next door and I asked our sales rep to take me next door. I met Todd and he was like JUMP IN...too bad I didn't fit :( I am 6'5 and they are not made for tall people!

20. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Did our subscription run out??

I want to hear more, great story, i also feel i was along for the ride. I know what its like driving in snow and just how narrow the safe section of momentum can be. These kinds of stories make the best reading.

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Funny story... I am awaiting part II. :)

Also, nice avatar!!!! lol

22. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great read!!!! waiting for part II also !!!

23. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Wonderful read. I'm anxiously awaiting part two!

24. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    the wait is killing me, just want to read part two...

25. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Billy, I don't know what your day job is but it should be a writer. Sorry for your misfortunes but felt every monent. Great detail...Congrats on the new car and enjoy her. I don't think it will ever be a garage queen.