348 Turn Signals non functional | FerrariChat

348 Turn Signals non functional

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DLuxxx, Dec 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DLuxxx

DLuxxx Karting

Nov 27, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Derrick
    like the subject says. could it be the fuse? i cant find the manual so i need some help. does anyone know which number fuse to replace. both of the turn signals dont work but the hazards do. please help. thanks alot.

2. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    It should be Fuse nr.7 in the passenger foot rest , counted from right to left of the upper line of fuses. 10 Ampere. If its this fuse your reverse driving light shouldn't work also. Hazard lights have an different fuse its Nr 16. Thats why these are still working.

ps: you can download the user manual for free on the ferrari owners club website.

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Good post by the new 348 guy on board!

Nice job.

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Derrick,
    Samy is right. You would be amazed how much info is in the owners manual and you can get it in PDF form (very handy) directly from Ferrari once you have registered with them at their site.

http://www.owners.ferrari.com

It takes a couple days to get your password back, but a very good site once you can get in!

Birdman

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#5 Ricambi America, Dec 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. DLuxxx

DLuxxx Karting

Nov 27, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Derrick
    thanks alot guys for the help... i'll change it today....i just joined that ferrari club and i got the manual...what would i do without you guys...jeeze =)

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    A new fuse isn't going to FIX the problem, unless the old fuse is loose, dirty, missing, or defective. Fuses blow because there is an electrical overload or a direct ground in the circuit. Checking the fuse is the first step in diagnosing the problem, but you may not be done at that point. You could still have an electrical short in the system, a bad turn signal switch, an unplugged connector, bad contacts in the hazard flasher switch, etc. The 348 uses only one flasher relay for the turn signals and the hazard flasher, so that appears to be OK.

Keep us posted.

Edit: Also bear in that mind that since the back-up lights are served by the same fuse, there is a fairly strong possibility that a problem with the back-up light circuit blew the fuse to your turn signals (if the fuse is indeed blown out).

8. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    My turn signals stopped working a few weeks ago and it was simply dirty flasher contacts. Just unplugging the flasher then plugging it back in cured the problem (followed by a good contact cleaning to keep it from happening again too soon). My flasher is located on the driver's side behind the left, carpeted kick panel, right at the top so the panel does not have to be removed.

Bob

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    It has also been seen that the turn signals will sometimes stop working, then you turn the hazard flasher on and let it cycle for a while, shut it off, then the turn signals start working again by themselves. That's always worth a try before tearing everything apart. But first let's see if the fuse is OK.

10. DLuxxx

DLuxxx Karting

Nov 27, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Derrick
    ok im gunna try all ur methods... hope its nothing more than a fuse or a lose wire.. thanks guys and i'll keep you posted

11. DLuxxx

DLuxxx Karting

Nov 27, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Derrick
    ok i changed the fuse and it worked... now the reverse works and the turn signals. thanks again everyone. wut would i do without u guys...damn...

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    So, was the old fuse visibly burned out? Wonder what caused that?

Glad it's working again!

13. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Thanks, reading this post saved me some time.

I replaced my fuse blocks and all of my relays at the same time....no turn signals. Just before I was about to tear into them I searched the website and found this post. Cycled the hazzard lights ands boom the turn signals began to work.

I had also just lubricated my steering column with spray so I thought it may have been the switch. Who knows have far I would have went before I tried the hazzard lights.

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Totally cool! I hope they continue to work normally.

15. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    My hazards work and my left signals work, but not my right. What do you think maybe the switch? When it rains it pours

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    You say the hazards work - when you turn on the hazards, do all four of the turn signals AND the indicator lights on the dash come on? When you turn on the right turn signals, does ANYTHING happen (either outside or inside lights? clicking sound?)? Are the brake lights and tail lights operating normally?

Yes, it may be the switch, but I'm hoping it's something simpler.

17. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    When I turn on the hazards all four turn signals flash and the indicator lights on the dash come on. When I turn on the left turn signal the front and rear signals flash as well as the dash indicators plus I hear the relay clicking. When I turn the right turn signal on I hear the relay clicking but no signals front or back.Not sure about the brake and tail lights, I'll find out tomorrow. Wierd huh. Thanks Jeff

18. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Sounds to me like a switch problem, but I'm still interested to hear about the brake lights and tail lights, in case there is a bad ground. Have you tried the switch in a "half way" position to see if that brings on the exterior lights? I hate to think what a new switch would cost, and I'm sure it's not built to be easy to repair, it's probably molded together. You've proven that the wiring from the switch to the lights is in working order, and the bulbs and bulb holders are OK, and the flasher SEEMS to be OK. My guess would be that it's lost continuity between two contacts inside the switch.

Update: It's a combination switch (turn signals, headlights, and wipers) Ferrari part #154563. Ricambi price over $2000. Hope it doesn't come down to that.

19. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    Holy Molly!! Me either that's a hunk of change. I'm surprised there is no other part from someone else that's interchangable. I'll check the things you mentioned and get back you guys. Thanks again

20. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Try Verell at unobtainum.com..he has helped many ..snatched them from the "JAWS of H....".

21. FerrariEngineer

FerrariEngineer Karting
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2009
    ww.exoticars-usa.com
    Full Name:
    Serkan Ozsavasci
    If you have no Electrical & Electronically education ! And do not have the proper tools YOU do not work on your electric system. You can change your fuse If you know the problem and if you can test which fuse is damaged. Please have a Power Probe III tool and Manuel for the testing only the fuse if not the fuse Do not work on Electric systems.
    Power Probe III Circuit Test Kit with a Built in Voltmeter & Flashlight

A Multitude of Testers Right at Your Fingertips
    Voltmeter
    Built-in flashlight
    Peak to Peak Voltage Detection
    Relay & Component Tester
    3 Lever Continuity Tester
    Bad Ground Indicator
    Voltage Drop Detection
    Audible Monitoring

22. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Oh, and if you're not a trained dentist, don't brush your teeth!

23. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    Strange thing before.I did what you said and moved the turn signal stalk half way and the signals worked. Must be the contacts in the switch. I guess I need to get in there and clean the contacts right? Thanks

24. FerrariEngineer

FerrariEngineer Karting
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2009
    ww.exoticars-usa.com
    Full Name:
    Serkan Ozsavasci
    Hi Jeff

As I told you CAN change and check your fuse ( Power Probe III) But you do not do a Root Canal Filling : ) that’s all.
    PSS: You can change your fuse If you know the problem and if you can test which fuse is damaged. Please have a Power Probe III tool and Manuel for the testing only the fuse…

25. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Yes, but..... can the switch be opened and repaired without ruining it? I seriously doubt that it would do any good to spray contact cleaner into it. You don't want to spray any kind of solvent in there, or it will just remove any lubricant that actually belongs there.

If the problem is a DIRTY contact, you MAY be able to get in and clean it. If the problem is a loose rivet, or a worn part, or a crack in the housing, then a long-lasting repair is pretty unlikely. I'm looking at an old signal switch that I replaced in my Corrado, and part of it appears to be clipped together and part of it appears to be molded together. If the new switch had been over $2000, instead of less than $200, then I would have tried to fix it.

It's possible that the multi-function switch in the 348 is the same as another car (Lancia Thema? Fiat Croma?) but I don't know for sure, and it would be hard to find out here in the USA.