Where did Maserati go wrong? | FerrariChat

Where did Maserati go wrong?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ryalex, Dec 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, Maserati got passed back to Fiat, the next V8 is in development hell, resale values fall like Buicks and dealers are getting antsy.

What do you think went wrong with the execution of the Maserati plan?

On the plus side, they had:
    - Association and development from Ferrari
    - Ferrari developed/refined engine making nearly 360 Modena power
    - Solid-looking interiors, nice materials
    - GT functionality
    - A fair number of dealers
    - Magazine ads and print promotion
    - Positive owner experiences
    - Product placement on Desperate Housewives (perhaps too late)

I think they failed with:

1) Bland, plain-Jane looks that too closely resembled Jaguar XK (ie. lack of a defined, exciting brand image)

2) No television ads, too few promotional tie-ins. Most people didn't know Maserati was still around. While you could say buyers of $90k GT's might know the market competitors, there is something to be said for recognition. BMW, Porsche, MB, Audi all have strong ad campaigns with consistent themes (ie "Never Follow," "Ultimate Driving Machine,")

3) Too small of an interior on the Quattroporte, and left the exterior looking too much like a Daewoo.

4) Oversaturation. This might be the factory pressuring dealer allocation.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I got some up close time with a Gran Sport and a Quattroporte last weekend. I sat in the QP and it was gorgeous. That being said, I think the styling isn't exotic enough on either car. A Maserati should have a near-Ferrari type impact when it drives up, neither of the cars do. I'm not sure I'd buy one because once it's out of warranty, they're going to be Ferrari expensive to fix.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think they failed because they didn't give it enough time.

Another model cycle and some more time building their dealer network and I think they could have been very successful.

4. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    5) M.S.R.P. was Excessive !!!

Did anyone pay List for their Spyder or Coupe ?

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The QP is doing well .

They ****ed up on the Spyder rigidity and the press went nuts on this. Otherwise the cars are great . Ferrari engine and from what i read much more thrilling to drive than the comp ( 6er, XK, SL , 911 ) . Just give it time .

6. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    hello,

intersting topic. i just received my "maserati monthly" e-mail and a nice 2006 brocure in the mail (2005 maybe?) i really wanted maserati to succeede. i like the maserati coupe's 2005 refreshed look (front and rear upgrades, trident logo in the c-pillar) and the quattroporte is nice if i was ever in the market for a four-door.

that being said, the ferrari dealership in my region, continental autosport in hinsdale illinois, had quite the selection of unsold maserati's the last time i was there. and their new ferrari's, well, were all spoken for.

i hope maserati doesn't fail, as the cars seem well built and have outstanding performance. but... there's a spark missing. something to raise the pulse. dunno. i hope maserati makes it in the u.s.

my $0.02

joe

7. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    The Coupes and Spyder's suffered from too much compromise for the American market, should of kept those boomerangs on them.

The Qp is doing well, would of done twice as well with an auto, thats on the way.

Some say the Maserati should be more in your face, more impact, but thats the problem, Maserati's have always been discreet, understated elegance.

8. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Who's writing off Maserati? You all sound like the brand is disappearing...QP is too bland and looks like a Daewoo? What are some of you smoking?

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    1) Boring styling.

2) Price was too high to compete against established brands.

3) You had to go to a Ferrari dealership to buy them, and we know how Ferrari 'salespeople' treat customers.

4) Not enough marketing, especially viral tie-ins to TV shows and such.

5) Biggest thing, Maserati is still fighting the image that the Biturbo gave them in the States.

6) Boring styling. Yes, that's in here twice.

10. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    what was wrong with the biturbo???

11. Execproducer

Execproducer Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    South OC
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree with Tillman. Who wants to pay that much for a car that nobody will notice? If the Spyder's design were more aggressive and exotic, I'd pop for one.

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The list of what wasn't wrong is shorter.

13. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    As a former GranSport owner, I have to say I really miss my car. Just too many cars and too little space. Maserati should stick to their guns and continue to make the gentlemens GT cars as their base line along with the Quattroporte, but I'd love to see them make a $60k Maserati Birdcage with only 2 seats, maybe a Miata type of size.

They're not Ferrari to the extreme sport side, but the improvements done with Ferrari's involvement have been terrific. Drive a first year coupe then the GranSport and you'll clearly feel the improvements. I had a choice of SL, CL, Jag XKR and other cars in that style and class and for me it was Maser hands down. Its a true Italian breed true and true.

I really hope they don't leave the USA, it really bothers me that people bash the brand because it doesn't help their cause at all. I'm really looking forward to the Stradale GranSport supposedly coming next year, that car will be the Stradale for all of those who can't afford the Ferrari one. Lightweight to the extreme and a low $100's price. Maybe we'll see it at Geneva in March.

14. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    I didn't know they had failed. I see quite a few around here and from what I have heard there is a waiting list on QPs. The QPs are also having excellent product placement in the high end mags and fashion shoots. What makes the coupe cool is that it is understated although I agree they should have kept the boomerang lights. The QP is hands down the nicest big saloon out there followed by maybe the Audi A8. Remember a few years ago they were not even in the US at all.

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow, this topic sure has been beaten to death in the last couple of years.

1. Most over hyped explanation is the Biturbo. It's hardly remembered over here in the U.S. and the later models were quite nice cars abroad.

2. The "original" Giugiaro design for the 3200 was more interesting but development engineers made it more boring. That being said, by the time it made production it was already an old design that DID look a lot like the Jag or Aston. No question about it, the tail light change was just stupid. There's been a lot of that a Maserati.

3. Handing control over to Ferrari and asking them to build and market a car to compete with Porsche, Jag etc. What do they know about those markets or mass production? Absolutely nothing and well that they should not! They should stay "Ferrari". They also have zero interest in making a really great car that could steal some sales from Ferrari. So they didn't. Look at all the dealerships available for sales and service if you buy a Jag or Porsche or Mercedes ... You just can't compete with that if you're being handled through Ferrari dealerships. Had Maserati been purchased by Lamborghini or Audi things would be much different now. A lot better.

4. Transfer to Alfarati. What kind of a signal does that send? But the idea of sharing with a much higher volume manufacturer is a good one. Ferrari engineering and parts will always be too expensive for the market that this car was intended for. So this at least is a step in the right direction. It's just too bad that Alfa isn't the robust company it once was. Keep in mind this coupe was originally supposed to debut at $70KUS. You can't accomplish that with Ferrari in charge.

5. The QPV is beautiful but can anyone explain to me why there's so little legroom on the front passenger side? This is supposed to be a big comfortable sedan and it's not in the legroom department on that side. The driver's side is fine. Major screwup. The interior is typical Ferrari and very elegant but won't hold up well. That may not matter in this limited market. I'm glad to see they're going to (finally) add the automatic. I might not want the car that way but it's crucial to it's success. They need to make it drive very smooth as well as sporty. It can't just be an adequate slush box.

Here's something things they're doing right.

1. Splitting from Ferrari.

2. The Trofeo series, espically now that it's coming to the U.S. It should be lot more reasonable in price than Ferrari Challenge series.

3. The MC12, although it would have been nice if they had built it so that it really could have competed properly in the Petite LeMans series over here. It did very well in Europe though! But all of this is really just a Ferrari in Maserati clothing.

Bob S.

16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #16 ryalex, Dec 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, a *big* Daewoo at least.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I think there was a definite place for the Coupe GT, if they made it handle well, and quality wasnt so bad; I think it could have worked. IMO, looked nice too.

18. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #18 masermartin, Dec 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sure Maserati is having a tough go of it but they have been trying.

They have done product placement: Desperate Housewives.

They have advertised in R&T, Robb Report, Motor Trend, C&D, etc.

Bilboards in New York City.

Racing in FIA GT class, American LeMans series, etc.

Hell, even rappers have Maseratis in their videos.

If you compare them to Aston Martin or someone in close proximity, Porsche is relevant but they are already gigantic and can afford to put commercials on TV and have it pay off in the long run, they are doing their part to get the name out there.

Maybe their goals were set too high for the American market.

But your comment about Maserati and Daewoo....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think it's the 456 that the Tiburon borrowed its looks from. But at least the 456 came out years before the Tiburon!

20. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    The comparison between the QP and Daewoo or Buick is plain silly, in real life and on the road, the QP looks nothing like those 2, its a majestic beauty.

With the Auto QP and upcomming Spyder, im looking forward to Maserati's future. Remember, in 97, they sold not more than 400 cars.

21. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Interesting thread.

The forced split with Ferrari cost me my job at Ferrari in 2004-5.
    Their was a massive musical chairs game being played within those companies, and the fallout isnt over yet.

A big issue that I witnessed firsthand is that the management of the "new" and refreshed Maserati isnt sure how to link to the past success, or exactly how to place the cars in the market. They are not sure as to what to do with the brand yet. The cars are ending up designed by comittee (ala GM style) as opposed to being the work of a designer. Just as Ferrari is now sharing design duties with Pininfarina, (and the head designer at Ferrari is Japanese! hows that for a new age!)

Fiat is fumbling around with Maserati-Alfa-Lancia currently and seems to drop the ball consistently. The sad thing is that due to costs and other global regulations, you can expect to see a great deal of platform sharing coming for those brands in the near future. .. and yes,it might even extend into Ferrari. The time when all things Ferrari were sacred is fading as the ability of any trinket with a horse on it becomes a moneymaker. The self imposed limits on car production will soon be pushed up and up.

But its an Italian company right? I have survived it twice, and the more things change, the more they stay the same.

22. masermartin

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Fair enough, lets say the Tiburon stole it's looks from the 456.

Do you honestly think that the Pinifarina Organization couldn't do anything better than copy a Daewoo.

So they look similar from 100 feet, so do 2 people of the same sex,race, and simlar weight and height. Details and proportions is where it's at these days in the car business. And the QP is certainly not doing poorly regardless of whether it looks like a Daewoo or a Maserati.

If you think they look a like than great, but I just don't see it.

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    They went wrong in 1984 when they brought out the Biturbo. The foul taste it left in auto enthusiast mouth back then still lingers in the market. Until it hits a "home run" with a great looking and performing car that everyone loves and enthusiast again long for, they will continue to be 'queens of depreciation'...

24. masermartin

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
  25. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig

Ahhh, yes....you are so right, my apologies. The colors of the two cars are almost identical, therefor, they must look alike :)