F430 Factory Recall | FerrariChat

F430 Factory Recall

Discussion in '360/430' started by FloridaChris, Dec 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FloridaChris

FloridaChris Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Gulf Stream, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris Wheeler
    Well I just got the word from my dealer. The F1 hydraulic pump issue I had (see earlier post http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86203 ) is not unique to me. As of a few days ago Ferrari has issued a recall on the F430 F1 hydraulic system. Evidently the fluid level reads improperly in the tank which causes problems. Different serial numbers require different levels of replacement, but in my case the entire pump/tank/sensor and plumbing needs to be replaced. Warranty labor is eight hours. I am led to believe that owners will be notified shortly of the need to schedule this service.

2. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Chris
    Is this for 2005s or for all F430s including 2006s?

3. FloridaChris

FloridaChris Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Gulf Stream, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris Wheeler
    I know it involves 2005 cars but don't know about 2006. I'll ask my service manager when I see him tomorrow.

4. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    In fact, it's not even a mandatory campaign. Supposedly, the campaign calls for an update on certain parts related to the e-diff (pressure control valve, multiple delivery and return pipes) based upon car assembly number that is to be done when the car comes in for a routine service. That is, owners will not receive a "recall notice" or any notice, for that matter, about this issue directly -- dealers only received a Technical Service Bulletin. This campaign apparently has nothing to do with the F1 pump or the sticking solenoid which prevents the pump from cycling on and off -- a somewhat common issue in the past on certain 360's and Masser F-1 trannys. Who knows? :confused:

5. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    I just heard from my dealer that it is a hydraulic F1 pump issue and the car needs to be recalled depending on you vin #.

6. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles

Like I said, that's not what my dealer says the TSB indicates -- I'll be at my dealer tomorrow and get a copy of the TSB. Hopefully that will clarify matters. Maybe there is more than one campaign/recall out there. ;)

7. FloridaChris

FloridaChris Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Gulf Stream, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris Wheeler
    Sounds to me like the recall may be a separate issue from the TSB that Jack is talking about. I know that they are definitely replacing my hydraulic pump, the tank and all associated plumbing. I'll be in the service bay tomorrow and can get better information about what specific parts are being replaced. I do know that not all VINs require the same parts to be replaced. My dealer and the warranty manager both referred to this as a recall, not a TSB. Who knows...

8. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    My dealer is not aware of any TSBs or recalls for the F1. I hope he is telling me the truth. My 2006 VIN # is not showing any TSBs.

9. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    just checked with my dealer-my vin indicates that it has to go in for work on the hydraulic system-this is a service campaign issue -the extent of the work depends on the vin no. p.s. ferrari is not going to notify you -check with your dealer- van

10. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    currently open for the 430. There are a few Campaigns outstanding for the 430, but none of them deal with the F1 tranny. Some confusion may exist since there is a campaign (Number 144) which effects the E-Diff hydraulic system (all 430's whether they have an F1 tranny or 6-speed have the F1 oil tank/reservoir).

From the Campaign Notice: "New components are being used in the E-Diff hydraulic system starting with Assembly #62016 (VIN # 144889). The purpose of this update is to identify the components installed on each car and ensure that all cars are uniform and have the latest components installed."

As Van mentioned, there are four groups of cars identified, each group needing slightly different/fewer parts the more recent the build date/Vin #. The parts are: 1)pressure control valve; 2)oil delivery pipe; 3)oil return pipe; and 4) the E-Diff oil tank cap breather pipe. As an example, the most recent build cars (designated Group 4) only need the oil tank cap breather pipe to be modified -- FNA deems it to be a .8 HR job on the F1 tranny cars and a 1.2 HR job on 6-speeds. Hope this helps clear things up.

11. FloridaChris

FloridaChris Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Gulf Stream, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris Wheeler
    Agree with you Jack. I went to the dealer today and asked to see the relevant factory communication. That communication confirmed the above post. Evidently the discussion yesterday with my service manager was full of hyperbole. I can only assume he was making a bigger deal of this to excuse the time necessary to get me fixed. Unbelievable. Anyway, the campaign does involve some 2006 F430s but the fix in that case is just a change out of a hose which takes less than an hour. The warranty manager did say a letter would be going out to owners regarding this problem, but I find that information suspect as well. Sounds to me like Jack has the straight scoop. Still, there are a bunch of F430s out there that are affected by this campaign. As it involves the eDiff, manual F430s are involved as well. If it was me, I’d call my dealer to see if my VIN number was involved.

Meanwhile my car remains on the lift…

12. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles

If your 430 has a VIN# BEFORE -- 144889 -- your car needs some level of work under this E-Diff Campaign.

13. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    jack you are right on-mine was an earlier f430 -took delivery in may-i need a pressure control valve-and 3 pipes that need to be changed plus a good flushing-full days work.van

14. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I guess I lucked out. My VIN# starts at 145...