Great Ferrari Shop (Testimonial) | FerrariChat

Great Ferrari Shop (Testimonial)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sweetspotav, Jan 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    I recently had an unfortunate situation happen. After only two months of ownership of my '90 348ts, my clutch went out. I shipped the clutch to a place in California to have it rebuilt. I received a good feedback for this place and the price was very good ($850). After only a few thousand miles on the clutch, with two track days, the clutch went out again. I am not blamming anyone for what happened, it was just very frustrating. The good side of this is that I met an awesome mechanic and a great guy. The clutch went out while at a track event at Roebling Road in Savannah, GA. After this happened, a fellow 348 owner (JDAVID) suggested that I speak with Karl Troy who was also racing at the track. He said that he had recently had his clutch replaced and Karl did a great job. Since I was already familiar with the removal of the clutch, I began the process of removing it to potentailly give it to him. While I was in the removal process, Karl came over to offer me a ride around the track in his car. In full race gear, he stopped and got on the ground and started helping me out. He gave up a whole session to check things out. I gave the clutch to him and told him to take it and work up an estimate on repairs for me. A week later we talked on the phone and decided to upgrade the clutch to Kevlar and also upgrade the throw-out bearing to the model in a 355. I spent a little more money than I originally planned on, but I think I learned from past experience that you get what you pay for.
    The plan was when the clutch was back in his shop I would trailer my car up to him on a Friday to have the work done. I left early Friday morning from Tallahassee, FL and drove to his shop in Charleston, SC. Karl got to work shortly after I arrived and worked very hard at getting it right. There was a problem in getting the clutch to fit back on the car properly, but he kept working to make sure it was perfect. As time went by, 5:00 and 6:00 soon past and he kept working. He could have very easily said to come back the next day and he would finish it then. He understands customer service and stayed until the job was completed. At about 9:00PM we were able to get the car completed and on the road. After two months of sitting in my garage, she was brought back to life. Karl then closed up shop, took me for a quick ride in his Lamborghini race car (WOW!!!) and we grabbed a quick dinner. After dinner (11:00) I still had energy and started my treck back to Tallahassee.
    The basic idea of this long story is that I went out of my way to take my car to Karl and he also went out of his way to take care of me. In return, he will have my continued business for as long as I own exotic cars. When it is time for a major, he's getting it. Unfortunatly, it is very hard these days to find someone that is honest and cares about customer service and doing the job right. Karl is the man and well worth the time and money invested in him doing the work. Here is his web-site:
    http://www.europeanroadandracing.com/

2. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    John, thank you very much for the wonderful feedback. It is customers like you that make it all worthwile. A great reward for the extra effort spent.
    To let everyone know, one major reason for hangup was an "unfinished Ferrari slave cylinder" but what can you expect for $1000.-
    Thanks again John and I am looking forward to seeing you again.

Karl Troy

www.europeanroadandracing.com

3. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    kinda' nice to read after the Durable 1 flame war one....

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have spoken too, seeked advice and purchased parts from Karl Troy on many occaisions in the past...he has ALWAYS been extremely helpful, courteous, and never rushed in assisting me. I have recommended him on serveral occaisions to others...and heartily second this one, without question.

Cheers Karl!

Vty,
    Dave

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  6. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    John, where did you get the Kevlar clutch?

7. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    +1

Nice to know there are still people out there that care. I know everyones time is money so it is extra special to hear of such great customer service.

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #8 robertgarven, Jan 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
  10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    karl,

that was cool, I went on a recent FCA trip that was similar terrain!

rob

11. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Robert, do you know anyone that can assist in getting in car video footage from mini casette form to PC for emailing?

Thanks

Karl

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    karl,

I do not have the equipment to do that. I think you need to download it straight to a computer from the cassette and then turn it into a mpg or wmv.

sorry

rob
    who has a mac.... :p

13. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    May be I should ask my 7 year old. He is on the computer all the time looking up carstuff.

Karl

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

15. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
  16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes, that's him.

17. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Karl - I've got the equipment to digitize your video. You can call me or we can talk when I come by to get the 355.

Cheers!

-- charles

18. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    It's always that way. You are looking for answers and they are right under your nose.

Thanks Charles.

Karl