Boxer engine out... | FerrariChat

Boxer engine out...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertinOK, Jan 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Hi,

I'm removing the engine from my '84 BBi for belt service and clutch...and all the other things that will come to light.

Does anyone here have experience with this which might stop me finding out the hard way what not to do? I have searched for help, but found nothing.

In particular at the moment it looks like removing the clutch casings and distributor will ease getting the engine out, but do I need to remove the transfer casing first, or will the 'bellhousing' for the clutch come away with the tranfer casing attached?

Any pointers would be a great help.

Thanks, Robert

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've never removed one myself, but Ted Rutland has and he told me that the Boxer engine is the easiest of all Ferrari engines to remove...he said it's like removing a small block Chevy from a Camaro. However, he did say that removing and reinstalling the rear engine cover was the hardest part of the job...

3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Dont know about the dist, maybe the cap so it doesn't break.Remove exhaust then clutch/bell housing is easy.

The biggest PITA I have heard on removing the BB engine is you need to remove the headers first, getting access to the bolts looks fun. Everything else is not that difficult just taking off parts.

4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have done one 512 engine out a few years ago and don't remember any real problems. It seems fairly step by step of disconnecting things. Engine hood and headers first then fluids and so on. I used nylon straps instead of chains to lift engine. They are easier than the 348/355 and they are not hard just a little more time. Regards, Vern

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dont forget to take pics along the way!
    a # of boxer owners will be watching!

37 to be exact

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    robertinOK:
    You are a brave soul. When you are done, how would you like a vacation in south Florida and you can do my Boxer?

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the rear cover is the easiest part of the job...
    simply tape up all of the edges of the car and the bonnet and lay the bonnet gently in place. there are two areas that will properly locate and orient the bonnet. the next step is to simply fasten the 6 bolts from the rear hinges to the bonnet. open and close to test...takes 3 people to perform.

i could not believe how safe and easy it was!

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Pete, I had to laugh when you said it took three people to replace the engine hood, I had the same situation, me, the owner and a neighbor girl, she was the other person I could round up at the time. The next time I do it I'll be more prepared. Regards, Vern

P.S. sorry for getting off topic

9. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Well, the job seems to be going well. Got the exhaust headers off today (not the easiest of jobs!). Had to redo a few of the tack welds holding the heatsheilds on, so took the opportunity to also remove the exhaust sampling ports and seal them. I am planning on taking the manifolds to Air Born Coatings in OKC for ceramic coating next week; they are 45 mins drive from here so an easy choice. They told me the exhaust temp. would drop at least 100deg...got to be a good thing for the CV's

Tomorrow I'll remove the Dist. and clutch housing, drain fluids etc. then remove the injection assemblies.

I have been taking pictures along the way; Once they've been through Adobe I'll post a few if people are interested.

There is no need to remove the 6 fixing bolts for the engine cover, simply remove the two cotter pins, that way the cover fits on re-assemble. However, one pin was seized and took me 3 hours to remove, in 4 pieces...don't tell me they are unobtainable!

A vacation in Florida sounds great right now: might just have to take you up on that offer! ....the car was orriginally from there, bought it just over 2 years ago.

Robert

10. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    Exactly...did my Hemi- 67 GTX by myself over the winter a few years ago..anything's possible with hydraulics. it was just like any old car, only bigger and heavier...but a flat 12 undertaking......might give me a little pause..just don't have the time anymore.. I did view Norwoods removing my clutch a few days ago, and the exhaust seemed to be the biggest pain..other than that..it's all right there. Pics !!! what fun to watch someone else have a friggin car apart..it's been 4 days for mine and it's killing me...75-80 degrees here in Dallas.

Are you doing any mods or exhaust upgrades?? would like to know the results of any improvements while the old girl is apart..my last engine-out was 2001.
    they say 4-5 years and it's time. Mine is coming up soon.

Good Luck and hat's off!

11. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Robert, you reminded me of something we did regarding exhaust shields to protect the CV boots. Boxers seem to eat the inside boots, the exhaust heat I think is the problem. Anyway we welded some sheilds to the headers before they were ceramic coated. Just a thought. Regards, Vern

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #12 tbakowsky, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You don't really need to remove the transfer gears and bell housing to get the engine out. A slight tilt forward (crank pully down) will allow for clearance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SpannerMan

SpannerMan Karting

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Erik Rathmann
    Ahh too bad this post wasn't a week earlier, as we just finished a 365 service. Looked straight forward, just lots of parts taken off before motor was pulled. We replaced the clutch disk, so bellhousing was pulled before motor. Some of the bellhousing studs pulled out and needed to be helicoiled. Carbs and intakes pulled off & gone through. Seems to me the exhaust was the most difficult part.(I just watched, I was working on other things). The fuel hoses and cooling hoses should be done with the motor out. Other details I just don't know...but I could ask, if you need the info. Cannot promise hourly responses though.

good luck, take your time.
    E

14. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Any tips on getting the exhaust header bolts?

It looks very difficult to get a tool in there.

15. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    #15 robertinOK, Jan 12, 2006
    The exhaust bolts are not easy. A combination of 3/8" sockets with multiple extensions and UJ's gets 7 of the 10. The last 3 bolts are a pain! Take the front header off first, it'll make the rear one easier to get at. I found I needed to get my hand up through the 1/2 shaft opening with a spanner or ratcheting 3/8" drive. The nuts are all 13mm..I wish I'd had a 1/4" drive, 13mm socket with extensions, it would have been a little easier.

Did the manifolds come from the factory with the heatsheilds, or were they added upon entry to the US? I must admit the welding, and the sheilds look a little rough. I've attached a pic of the manifolds after welding yesterday...they still need cleaning, but under the grime they are perfect.

As I've got to renew the clutch, I'll ake the housing off whilst the engine is still in the car...this should make it's removal a little easier I think. I'm not sure it's the clutch thats worn, there's quiet a bit of oil under there so It may be the crankshaft seal.

I've also added the first pic I took of the project. Note: I built a pit to work on the car!

Robert

16. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    They all came this way. Do not reweld over the original welds you will go through the thin steel tubes . This has been done with several cars and ended up rebuilding the whole exhaust.Seems the welds are rough but just enough to hold the shields on - not to seal up anything.Please post more pictures.Always interesting.

17. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    I just noticed your pit!!!!!!! I need that soooo bad. Do you have rails to guide the tires from not driving in the pit?

18. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    The Boxer goes without saying,but must add "Nice Ducati Too"

doug

19. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    #19 robertinOK, Jan 12, 2006
    The exhaust heat sheilds were comming loose, but seeing your advice on not welding (too late for me!) I went and checked them out: They were mig welded (tacked) over the orriginal welds, and there is a slight discolouring inside the manifold, but no protrusion. The guy I use is pretty good, and he was warned about the problem. I didn't want the insulation material falling out, and also wanted to ensure they were as close to perfect as poss. before they are ceramic coated.

Just removed the fuel mettering units (watch the large bolt underneath...17mm and needs a spaner on each end, but no need to undo it more than a few turns as the mount is slotted), the starter, and the clutch housing: all easy stuff with no problems. The clutch has worn down to the rivets...time for a new one I guess. There is about a pint of oil in there...

The Ducati is fun: It a Ferracci built 1026cc engine...It's been dyno'd at 150 BHP at the back wheel (about 174 at the crank I'm guessing).

Robert

20. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looking at these pics, I was wondering how many miles, and how long since the car had an angine out service? Looks like its been in there a while?

21. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Even I was amased just how dirty the engine was. It gets used 2 or 3 times each week, so It'll never be concourse, but it didn't look that bad until I got it apart.

It will come out on Monday, and the first course of action will be cleaning everything, including the engine bay. I'll make sure it's spotless before it all goes back.

Anyone have any ideas on where to attach the lift, or to use straps under the engine? Someone also mentioned I should remove the alternators...not sure why?

Looking forward to some serious cleaning...

Robert

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just noticed an evap canister in the right front of the engine compartment, is that for US dot or do all BBi's have them?

23. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    yes....never considered it before, but I'd love to remove it: anyone know if it's needed? I'll take a look what it's connected to. Does anyone know if It's on the euro cars?

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Robert:
    Thank you for putting this thread on FChat, and also for the photos. This has been one of the more interesting threads I have read in a long time.

Ron
    83BBi

25. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Just looked at the evap canister: It has 2 pipes (about 1/2" diam.) One goes to the fuel inlet pipe (there's a right angled metal spur 1/2 way down the matal fuel filler pipe that the rubber tube connects to) ...The workshop manual shows a 'fuel filter neck vent tube' with a pipe dissapearing behind the tank, so I assume it vents to atmosphere?

The other pipe was not connected to anything....!

Can somebody confirm whats on their car...I'd like to dump the canister!