F50 pre/post production cars? | FerrariChat

F50 pre/post production cars?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by polarbert, Jan 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. polarbert

polarbert Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Nottingham & Leeds
    Full Name:
    Robert Kennedy
    Hello!

I've been a member of pistonheads for a while and decided to come over here and read up on a great passion of mine = ferraris!

anyway i was reading through a thread about the amount of enzos produced and i saw somebody say something about there were around 50 more f50s than the 349 stated, i was just wondering if anyone had any information or any pictures of the cars? and also any prototypes/pre-production cars.

i love reading about the history of these cars, and finding out about the special ones make it all the more exciting for me!

thanks very much!

Rob

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There were a number of cars built before and after the official 349. The ones before were a mix of prototypes and prep-production cars mainly for the Sultan of Brunei, most of the post production cars were also meant to go to him. Most didn't make it there though, by the time the cars were made, Jeffri (the guy buying the cars, the Sultans brother) had other things to worry about (the billions of $$$ he stole from the country of Brunei)

Here is a post-production car for sale. There is no difference between these (and the pre production cars) and the official 349

http://tinyurl.com/bsq37

3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #3 Peloton25, Jan 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not really a prototype here, but I thought this photo might interest some people. Maybe someone else has more angles of this too.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. polarbert

polarbert Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Nottingham & Leeds
    Full Name:
    Robert Kennedy
    thats cool, thanks for that!

that Brunei fella seems too rich for his own good!

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Did the post-production cars have the plaque saying the number out of 349 or was it just not there at all?

6. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Probably no plaque

7. polarbert

polarbert Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Nottingham & Leeds
    Full Name:
    Robert Kennedy

that would be funny!

No. 358 of 349

:D

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I can see how my question could've been read like that. I was getting at if there are plaques, maybe a possibility of a few having the same numbers. Maybe even the VIN, who knows.

Does barchetta.cc have a list of known F50 VINs and colors? I can't seem to find it on their site.

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He was joking

I have the vins. I haven't actually counted them all but there are about 25 (give or take)

10. eurospec

eurospec F1 Veteran

May 29, 2005
    Mt Isa. Australia
    Full Name:
    mohamad
    it looks like it's got F40 wheels on it

11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have counted 402 cars. I know one of the Sultan's F50's does have a plaque stating that it is the first production F50. I have seen a photo of it; but don't know which S/N the car is. I would guess 99999?

12. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I thought that #001/349 is s/n 103097, but that's the Belgium Jean "Beurlys" Blaton car, which was for sale last year or so. There were at least 6 "pre-production" cars made prior to #001, plus the s/n 99999. As you know, there are multiple cars with s/n 99999. From memory, I also think that one of them went to the Sultan, but I'm not sure about it ...

Note: are you sure about the 402? I thought that there were 11 (or so) pre-production cars, and around 13 post-production cars, plus 3 F50 GTs. I know that the lists that I have are not up-to-date, but I was always thinking about 380 cars or so. Where did I go wrong??

13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hi Edvar,

I could well be wrong about the S/N number on the Brunei car, it was just a guess. The photo of the plaque affixed to the tunnel ahead of the gear lever says something along the lines of "the first F50". The 402 comes from Marcel Massini's FML articles which listed 368 cars with S/N's plus another 30 cars with details but no S/N's. Then there are the 3 extra 9999's not in the article plus an additional Brunei car also not mentioned giving a total of 402.
    Marcel would undoubtedly know the correct number.

Maybe it was 102852, which is the earliest of the Brunei cars from Marcel's earlier post?

14. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Just guessing, but what about s/n 102902 or 103033, both meant for the Sultan, but finally ending up at the Marconi Museum in California? I've seen the two F50s over there, but haven't checked the cars for their s/n or other details ...

The 30 cars listed by Marcel are F50s where the s/n is (or was) unknown, but that doesn't mean that those car are additional cars. Many of the cars which were unknown by the time of writing, are currently KNOWN. For example, John McCaw's F50 is 104092, Mark Rand's car (Azzurro California) is 103921 and so on. So, I guess we shouldn't count those 30 unknown cars ...

15. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I suppose it would have been better to say a "possible total" of 402 cars. I thought there may have been some duplication in the list at that time.
    So if you now have a current and complete S/N list, what is the exact F50 production? 380?

16. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I don't have an up-to-date list of the F50s, so unfortunately I can't answer the question. Also because I thought that some of the post-production F50s mentioned in Marcel Massini's list happened to be incorrect. Or to say it more correct: there have been other Ferraris spotted with the same serialnumbers. But I have to dive into my archives for more details ...

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Thanks anyway Edvar. It would be interesting to see exactly how many there are considering Ferrari have traditionally made more of the Super Car series (288, F40, F50, Enzo?) than they announced to the world.

18. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just counted, i have 3 serial #'s for prototypes, HOWEVER, i belive 5 cars wore the serial # 99999, so i'm guessing 7 prototypes, then i have 7 pre-production cars and 12 post - production cars

So, there you go, 375 F50's ;)

19. ivo73

ivo73 F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Mar 3, 2005
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Ivo Pucci
    Hello to all,
    interesting thread here !
    in the japanese magazin Scuderia no.25 is also a s/n list report from Marcel Massini.There are listed 16 post-production F50 with details and non....but for serial number 107525 and 107550 i have both car as US 355 Spider's MY'97.(and confirmed by Ferrari dealer's).
    It remains 14 other cars......
    regards
    ivo

20. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

All very interesting. It would seem that the correct number is 375 +/-

21. taunus

taunus Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2002
    Germany, Osnabrueck
    Full Name: