Anyone know what this is? | FerrariChat

Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by v15ben, Jan 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #1 v15ben, Jan 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spotted in Dunedin New Zealand a few weeks back, I assume it is a replica due to the huge Sony graphic on the front but apart from that I have no ideas! 330 P4 Replica maybe???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Replica 330/412 p4

3. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Looks like I made quite a good guess :D
    Looking a bit sorry for itself though :(

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How most replicas end up looking after a few years unfortunately.

I think most enjoy the building more than the reality :)
    Pete

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I would be happy to own it and have some fun with it. Get realistic. How many of us could ever afford the real thing? How much does the windshield cost for one of those? Any idea where that particular replica was made? If it was an NF Auto replica, somebody paid quite a price to have it shipped all the way from England.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Shipping is not that bad $ wise ... it is the tax/duty that gets you, but that all depends on this vehicles value.

Pete
    ps: It would not drive even 30% like a real one ... even with a real Ferrari engine, thus is it really worth it? Probably (due to modern technology) drive better or at least easier, and similar to many other replicas.

7. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Pete - no duty on importing cars here anymore - just pay GST.

I don't KNOW, but probably done down here. There are a few shops down there that have done replicas.

Cheers
    Andrew in NZ

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Maybe it is really the "missing" 246GT station wagon................

9. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Are the replicas built simularly construction wise to the originals? Whats a replica in that kind of shape worth? Body in fiber, or aluminum?

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Some, for example Lee Holman's GT40 MKII replica or Lola Cars T-70 replica are very similar to original cars and are even eligable for one type of FIA papers. Davids 0900 is as well. There are replica GTO's that fall into this catagory also. In general these replicas are very expensive and drive very similar to the originals.

There are also some other less expensive GT 40 replicas, ERA MKI for example, that are close as well. Most of the P4 replicas aren't very close and in general most replicas cost more to build than they wind up being worth.

11. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Replica indeed. The car is a Foreman (Mk4) P4 replica. The following is from an old (undated) issue of Kit Car magazine which I guess must be late '90's.

The article reads as follows:

International electronics giant Sony, have chosen a Foreman Mk4 to demonstrate their latest in-car products at electronics and motor shows around the world. The Foreman Mk4 was shipped in component form from NF Auto Development's Staplehurst factory and assembled at Sony's prototype workshops in Bangkok.

Inside the cockpit is the main 'widescreen' LCD monitor, which can flip up and down at the press of a small button. On this monitor, you can view any one of six video CD's loaded in the disc changer in the passenger's sill cavity. The monitor displays information from a satellite navigation system. Under the dash is a colour printer that can print the image on the screen at the press of a button. A six-disc mini-disc player delivers state of the art in-car sound through the latest XES system; all controlled by a remote joystick and LCD screen in the centre of the console .... etc. .... Sony have plans to install their latest products in the car as they become available including a Playstation and the world's smallest Handycam due for launch in October (year ?).
    The article went on to say:
    So far this year (?) the car has appeared in Singapore; Australia and at the Thailand International Motorshow. Appearances in Dubai, Indonesia and the Philippines are already on the calender.

Information courtesy ReplicaPaul.

Nathan

12. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    #12 piloti, Jan 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    More from ReplicaPaul

"I can remember Neil Foreman telling me that the car was never intended to be fitted with an engine or gearbox, and that the chassis was supplied without mountings for either. Instead, Sony had planned to fit a massive bank of amps, speakers and various other electronics into the rear compartment, in their place - which can be clearly seen in the photo below.

The car toured the Far East and Australia, and was shown at various motor and car-audio shows, in the late 90's. This one for example:

http://www.canze.org.nz/archive/9899/results/rn99p.htm (and scroll down the page).

.... Obviously, also ending it's days 'on tour' in New Zealand, where it was recently photographed"

Nathan

14. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Heh still has same tires

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh ... just learnt something. There still is in Australia :(

And in the end an interesting display car! AND ofcourse Jim is right, the closer the replica is built to the original design the closer they will drive like an original. A Foreman replica, as wonderfully made as they are, are a looks only replica as nothing under the skin is like the original, other than in concept.
    Pete

16. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Great to find out the history of the car but sad to see its current condition. Hopefully it will be returned to top condition one day but it is looking tired and covered in dust right now. It is amazing what a few emails and a little searching has done, it seems I was right to get excited by this car! Thanks to Nathan and Paul for bringing this quest to a very successful conclusion.

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Interesting, but yet . . .

This "car" has no engine, no transmission, and was never intended to have them. Presumably the windshield wiper doesn't work either. Does it still have its electronics? If not, it might as well be made out of cardboard.

AND, even if it does have its electronics, but NO GO POWER, so what?

Mark