Adjustable Pulley pt2 a new belt design... | FerrariChat

Adjustable Pulley pt2 a new belt design...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by smg2, Jan 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    OK, i have been working on another set-up. i get the feeling that this would be more accepted. now i'm aware i talked about the down sides to re-engineering a new timing belt design. but i have been working on layouts and different industry belt profiles. the current trapizoidal 3/8" belt has limitations. the newer gates 5mm HTD moves beyond the old design. less stress and better contact. the life of the belt is based on tension and pulley dia. and rpms & profile. a caution though, one profile isn't nessecarly better than the next. once again it based on design, ferrari most likely had the best it could get 30+ yrs ago, now it's time to move forward with technology.

i have been looking at the redesign of the current pulley dia to something larger for the lower drive pulley. in order to get it correct the current layout needs to be calculated and the new one based on that. i'm almost done. this isn't easy as alot of calculations go into getting it right. HP, RPM, shock load, etc...in the end it might not even change the pulley dia, but the belt profile, we'll see.

i'll keep you all updated.

one thing that would speed the proccess up though is if someone in the sacramento area has a 308 engine sitting out or has one apart for the timing belt change. i need to measure some areas and i havn't gotten to pulling my motor apart yet. if someone wants to help me out here please PM me. thanks.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i'm going to use a Gates power grip GT2 belt profile.
    thats all for now..

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wouldnt Gates be a good source for engineering specifications to what thier belts are actually capable of? I would think of anyone on the planet, a big name timing belt manufacturer would have details on the various belt designs and what would be best.

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Not in the Sacramento area, actually a bit east (Atlanta), but I do have an 84 QV sitting on a pallet in my garage that is fairly easily accsessable.

JD

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    yes they are, and i'm working with the engineers there as to which pitch and size of belt to use. i still need to factor in the pulley design and it's spacing.
    they can tell me which belt would work best with which scenario but they won't engineer the pulley design, or lets say it's not in their interest to do so. SDP has a great manual and calcs on how to figure it all out, so i'm busy with the math.

the great thing is both SDP and Nordex carry the gear stock so we don't have to take the time to mill the gears and hope to get it right. i just need to figure what size dia. we need and tooth requirements. from there gates will spec the belt. hopefully it's something off the shelf or not to expensive.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    jeff, do you have access to macinist tools? calipers, dial gauges etc..? if so we may talk soon.

7. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Okay, do the guys at Gates see any inherent problem with the current design that makes it short lived, and in that context, can they offer an alternative that would out perform it?

I dont want to overburden you as I am sure this can get overwhelming. But right now we have a known quantity. I am all for an upgrade if its going to offer a marked improvement in performance, but it should be a known improvement, not a maybe. No offense, but if gates dont know the answer to that, and can offer some kind of real data to support it, we could be going back to that domino thing.

8. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Only a 12" and a 4" caliper, a pocket machinists rule, a Stanley 25 ft. tape measure, a couple of plastic triangles, and a compass and protractor.

JD

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    most definatly yes! the trapezodial belt has been superceeded by the curvlinear one. i.e. HTD or the new GT2 design. the design limits of the 'trap' have bee nmet by our current pulley system. moving to the curvelinear one and not changing the pulley dia will net an even longer life span. the next step is to see if we can increase the dia on the lower pulley as well as the cam ones to increase it further. one thing to note, increasing the lower drive pulley will cause you to also have to increase the cam pulleis as they are essentially 'geared' to one another. i would only do this if we can keep it under the stock cover. trying to avoid knocking over a dominoe...

bythe way i'm typing inthe dark so i can't spell...

10. 74dino246gts

74dino246gts Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Just saw your most recent posts. Are you in Irvine, or in El Dorado Hills near Sacramento. I live in Cameron Park and just picked up a 308 gt4. I am planning on doing all the belts and hoses before I drive it and will probably start tearing into it this weekend. Tried to send you a PM, but your box is full.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    el dorado right now, this house needs a backyard so i'm up here. i'll clear out my box...pm me.

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    further progress, gates has an off the shelf belt for our needs, 86~87 honda civic. it uses the samebelt size as our 308 just a different tooth profile, the curvelinear one. so now i need to find/make pulley stock gear for the project. the current pulley dia's would be retained. to make the drive gear larger would require calculations to try and fit what may be in stock. doable but working backwords and very time consuming.

gates didn't see the absolute need to change the drive gear, but if i wanted i could. it would require me to calculate a number of scenarios and then see if they have the belt.

i'm leaning on keeping it as is. that way the tensioner is still correct and we don't have to worry about changeing the cover to accomodate a larger pulley. and frankly then i'd have to charge you all for the time spent on those bloody gear calcs;)

i can just see the light....i hope it isn't a train.

13. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    I just want to compliment smg2 on his efforts. The belt "issue" on these wonderful engines is truly one of the only negatives of these cars. There has to be something that can be done to upgrade the current belt system to make it more reliable. I applaud your effort and can't wait to hear what you come up with. I personally think that if a belt system could be employed that effectively doubled (for eg) the belt life I for one would purchase it even if it did require fabrication of larger or modified belt covers. Keep up the good work.

14. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Looks like we have come full circle - or almost.

A belt (and matching pulleys) with the newer profile seems to be the cheapest, easiest solution to the problem. Option in the great design of the adjustable wheels, and we have an answer to what has long been a thorn in many sides, real or perceived.

Scott - you will be the toast of all of us (and the subject of a voodoo doll from the current belt maker). Keep up the awesome work!

Now, what is the story with 348s and 355s that they need 30K belt changes..... :)

15. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I gotta second that post whole heartedly!
    I am a bit familiar with the tremendous effort, time and money it takes to come up with a new design, or way of doing things.
    I had read the new thread, and went down to the shop and measured the upper pulley on a 2 valve motor.
    The measurement I came up with was 3.425" or 87mm, measured across the teeth. Please bear in mind it was a "stand on your head, push hoses out of the way" measurement, but I think it is quite close. The lower pulley should be 1/2 of that I would think.
    The Honda belt would be ideal IMO, as they wind those motors up to some pretty crazy levels on a regular basis.
    I wonder what the belt people would be able to say on the longevity arena based on the pulley diameters?
    HTH!

16. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Let me see if I am following all of this correctly. You have discussed the current design with Gates, and it is thier understanding that just changing the belt design to curvelinear, the belt life would increase? Further, you are attempting to calculate larger pulleys to increase the life even more. I would argue that at this point, the design fully requires a larger diameter idler pulley, to slow down its operating RPM.

Might I suggest, as long as you are willing to go to this trouble, you take a look at the 348 belt layout? If we are going to need a new cover, perhaps a single belt layout ala 348 would make more sense, and perhaps a 348 cover could be addapted to fit? I know the drive is totally different, as the 348 has a single drive pulley with two idlers, but perhaps a single idler directly above the two drive sprockets could be adapted.

I liked the initial idea of new cam pulleys that allowed a vernier scale to read advance/retard, and being adjustable. I wouldnt mind a larger idler pulley, just to make darn sure it would hold up between belt service. I wouldnt even mind the possiblity of increasing the size off all the belt pulleys, as it would allow the belts to live under less stress. From there I might get gun shy until I could see more data.

17. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    Thats what I was curious about Paul, and why I measured the pulley. I would think that before going a bunch further in the effort, it would be a wise move to contact them, with pulley diameters, and see what their engineers say on the increase in longevity a curvelinear design might offer. If it is a large enough margin, it may not be worth changing to a larger pulley system, with the added clearance issues.
    I did dig thru my records and found the 2 valve pulley (cam shaft) CTC measurement:
    141.065mm

18. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay alot of the issues we have with the drive pulley being to small is not the concern of the belt mfg. i'll explain, we mistakenly assume that the small drive pulley is going to cause longevity problems with the belt, if indeed the pulley was too small it would, but not like we think. see the critical area is how many teeth come in contact with the belt to transmit power, min dia pulley's are based upon the load, rpm & hp the belt undergoes. the min amount of teeth for the HTD profile is 8 in full contact, the current design we have has more than that, so it isn't an issue. sure going larger wuold reduce the flex the spine goes thru but to make it even better we'd be talking pulley dia of the cam, far to big for the area we have.

the idea of a single belt was one i consederd but man that would take some doing. it would have to incorporate the water pump, which is common and a single large pulley at the crank snout. i'd shy away from it for two reasons, a belt that long would be expensive and if god forbid it did go, you loose both banks at once. right now we have a 50/50 disaster option. and the water pump would have to be re-engineered to take the load. and larger belt in width also. for now we have two I-4 motors being timed, keeps it light and small.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I say if it aint broke dont fix it, but I am a purist.... :)

20. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    but it is broke;)..
    a belated thankyou to everybody cheering me on here. today was frought with frustration dealing with the belt companies and trying to get the pulley stock. apperantly milling the gears isn't something to take lightly, ISO has has an entire number for the new profile complete with technicals on std's, that cost me to get that info. so i have contacted the machine companies who manufacture the pullies for other clients to see if i can get stock based on our design requirement. we'll see how tomorrow goes. i'm not giving up and hopefully i shoud have the first of these in a month or so.

i'm sparing you all the technical jargon for now, but suffice it to say lets say you have a 4 or 5 axis mill, cutting these gears still takes having the right hobs & programing for the proper backlash or you'll cut a gear that'll eat thru belts. so if a machine shop isn't already manufacturing the gears they won't and there is only a handfull of companies doing this.

21. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #21 Artvonne, Feb 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Scott, I also wanted to thank you for looking into this, its great to have people out there willing to make something better, yet trying to work within the standard design so the car will still appear correct.

Some thoughts though. the bottom pulley currently has 20 grooves for belt teeth, and the upper ones have 30. I just counted. Kermit, we were forgetting the the gear reduction in the timing cover, as the bottom pulleys are not geared 1:1 with the crank, but would be geared 1 and a 1/3 so as to slow down the drive pulley, but perhaps more it was to allow more teeth in contact.

However larger you make the pulleys, the teeth will have to remain at a 1.5:1 factor. The next sequence in our tooth spacing would be 24/36, followed by 26/39. Obviously more teeth on larger diameter pulleys will reduce the strain on the belt, and increase its life remarkably. But how large can we go? I seen that 26 tooth bottom pulley and imagined that it was getting to the size of the top pulley. So I went and dug out my timing cover and cam pulleys and looked it over.

In the attached picture, you can see that a cam pulley, with 30 teeth, clears the oil seal my quite a margin. By the looks of it all, I would say Ferrari kept a small diameter pulley so you could get the belt off past the harmonic balancer. I dont know how much clearance is available under the belt cover, but if the bottom pulley were as large as a cam sprocket, the cam pulley would need 45 grooves. The cam pulley would grow in diameter from approximately 3.58 inches, to 5.37 inches, so basically we need .895 inches (roughly) of added clearance around the pulleys to operate pulleys that large. Other numbers that work are 28/42, 30/45. 32/48 works but its getting far to large.

Another idea I thought of, to allow a larger idler that would fit under the stock cover, would be to loop the belt down between the two cam sprockets and put the tensioner there. But they seem to always run the tensioner upstream of the cam sprockets, and that would seperate them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would think that if it would fit under the stock timing cover, the 28/42 would make a good compromise, as it would leave some clearance around the harmonic balancer. 28/42 would give us pulleys approximately 3.342"/5.013". With an upper pulley just over 5" in diameter, we only need about 3/4 inch of clearance.

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    working out the pulley tooth arrangement is the first simple step, the next is tricky. we need to plot out he exact center to center distances of the pullies. the diagram would form a triangle then add in the location of the tensioner. from there gates can tell us if they have belt with the right number of teeth that would work. that;s what i'm trying to do, we may not be able top get an off the shelf belt to work with one of those new pulley ratios.

oh and the tensioner always needs to be in the top 1/3 of the layout from the slack side.

krowbar thanks for the input ;) i haven't pulled apart my motor yet, what's the clearance between the PD of the 28 and the balancer?

and if we can use the 42 for the cam that'll help greatly in getting the design of the adjuster cleaned up, can even bring back the pin ;) we could even go so far as to machine new covers from billet, nah tooooo expensive. lets see what fits first.

24. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Honda uses a 19/36 arrangement, smaller than our drive pulley!

25. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    But not only do Hondas break belts when you beat the snot out of them, they are non interference engines, so who cares if the belt breaks?

I dont know the clearance of a 28 tooth pulley to the balancer. The pic I took is the stock cam pulley and it has 30 teeth. I can possibly dig further tomorrow and set up the harmonic on the timing cover and see how much room there is between the cam pulley with a belt installed. But it will only be a close guesstimate. But roughly, a 28 tooth bottom sprocket should be about .110" more clearance.

Just so everyone dont forget, belt the pulley arrangement on a Ferrari is not 2:1. Everyone knows the cam must turn at half speed to the crankshaft, on every 4 cycle engine made, and Ferrari is no exception. But Ferrari geared the small drive pulley off the crankshaft at 1.333333:1, and then the next step is 1.5:1 between the belt pulleys, for an overall ratio of 2:1. Thats why there are 20 teeth on the lower pulley, and 30 teeth on the cam pulley.

I could also, if I have time, measure the cam cover and try to see just how large we could go on the cam pulley and still have some air clearance. I think that is going to be more of a limiting factor than the size of the bottom pulley. And really, I think everyone wants to keep this stuff under a stock cover.