The Ferrari Replacement..."Gumball Rally" Candidate | FerrariChat

The Ferrari Replacement..."Gumball Rally" Candidate

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by LT-1, Feb 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LT-1

LT-1 Karting

May 13, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Okay, for those that have not been following the story, here's a summary:
    I sold my Dino to Aaron after I got bit by the old school muscle car bug (yet again). I have been wanting to buy/make a Trans-Am Series Replica for awhile now and I found what should be the perfect candidate.

1970 1/2 Camaro RS factory split bumper, small block, Edelbrock manifold/carb, Muncie M21 4-speed, 12-bolt posi rear end. Not perfect, but it will be a fun project. The interior will be going into the basement. I'll be getting the hood painted soon, then vintage American Racing Silverstone or CL2005 wheels and Goodyears, I've started collecting period correct sponsor stickers and a friend of mine will be called in to work on fabricating the gauge cluster. Brakes are already done (new cross drilled rotors, calipers, booster, etc. hands down the best stopping car I've owned). Even though it's a new exhaust I'm going to change it to period correct side exit.

Before you yell "Don't hack up that car!!!"...it is a non-numbers matching, converted to 4-speed from auto. The body and frame are strong and straight so it's the perfect candidate. And nothing I'm doing can't be changed back.

Here are a couple pics I took this morning.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/modconsf/P1190077.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/modconsf/P1190076.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/modconsf/P1190074.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/modconsf/P1190078.jpg

I drove it home last night. This is the loudest damn car I have been in. Keep in mind my Dad had a '70 Chevelle SS 396, my Mom had a 'Cuda and I've gone thru several other small & big block vehicles. There will be no sneaking out in this thing.

So, if you ever want something big,dumb and crude to join you on one of you drives let me know.
    :)

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    AWESOME!

You better take detailed photos of your progress.

--Dan

PS: W/o a doubt you have to bring it out!

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hack away. The only thing I would do different would be to start with a 69. I am a little jealous. Camero's of that period can be made into killer street cars and for not a whole lot of money. They can handle, stop, and holy ***** can they go.

4. LT-1

LT-1 Karting

May 13, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Believe me, I wish I could have, but for the price I paid for this car it would get me a rusted rolling chassis. The '69s are going crazy.

5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I like this body style better. I saw one in Sacramento (pro street, tubbed, etc.) and it was just so awesome. If I had the time, tools and money, I'd buy a '63 Chevy II and do like the guy who owns the body and paint shop in Los Gatos. His '63 has a 630 cu.in. alloy motor with sheet metal tunnel ram, split dominators, belt driven scavenger and a two stage 500HP per stage nitrous setup. Makes 1400 horse N/A and 2400 horse with the gas.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I know. ALL the really cool stuff is going crazy. Even donor cars, not just the special models.

7. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    When I was born, my dad had a '60 Corvette. Honduras Marron w/ white coves, black interior... Sold it when I was still in elementary school....$13k.

ARGH!

8. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Very nice, Robert! That's definitely "Norcal Gumball Rally" certified! :D

Definitely bring it on one of the drives...This is what I mean by cars that TRUE enthusiasts will appreciate. It doesn't have to be Italian nor does it have to have 400HP+. Heck it could even be a low rider or whatever it may be. As long as it does not have spinners and whistle tips attached to the exhaust.

Since I don't know much about muscle cars, this will help me learn more from true enthusiasts like you guys.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It doesn't need 400+HP? We gotta talk.

It really needs some SP2 heads and be brought out to about 400 inches. That'll make it run.

10. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hahaha...I was referring to the line up of cars for the Gumball Rally. :)

I'll see you next week, Brian.