Any news from dealers re. 2006 F430 allocations? | FerrariChat

Any news from dealers re. 2006 F430 allocations?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CDM, Feb 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Earlier, people reported dealers were to receive their 2006 allocations by the end of January. Others have mentioned USA allocations may be reduced due to redistribution to emerging markets (China, Russia etc) or other reasons.

Question: Were you previously given a delivery month and had it pushed back as a result of the 2006 allocations?
    Question: Do you have any information about 2006 allocations? Were they greatly reduced for the USA?

I was expecting a F430 Spider in May 2006 and have been notified it will now be Jan-Feb-Mar of 2007, or later. The only reason given was that less cars were coming to the USA.

If this delay is truly due to a shortage of cars, I'll wait like everyone else. But, if I'm the only one getting this delay message, I can assume it is a nice way of saying you'll probably never get a F430, in which case I would go ahead and shop for a 360 or other type car.

I can't justify paying F430 secondary market prices and taking that much hit when selling in a few years.

2. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Gary dealers are only getting one or two 430's a month for the past four months. there is definetley a shortage

3. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    pay the premium today and enjoy the car -- you won't be taking any hit for a while. prices are firming up and used cars with 1-2000mi are selling in the 240+ range (2005) as we speak in my area. This is more than I paid 2 months ago.

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I just found out that many dealers are getting one F430 a month. I was told that I was going to get a 430 for summer delivery but for some reason I haven't recieve a phone call. I was asked to spec the car out last week and I turned in the option sheet a few days ago, but they told me that they don't know their allocations just yet, all they know is that they will get about one car per month to deliver. Also this dealer will not accept deposits from anyone until is time to make the final order, all of this really makes me a little nervous.

5. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Each time after you drive it, park it in your garage, turn the engine off, look at it one last time right before you go back into your house, tell us how much you regretted paying that premium!

6. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I suspect until they resolve the airbag issue, they will be filling orders for the ROW.

7. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    seriously, not one second. and the trickle of new cars and increasing demand make my purchase an even smarter one.

some VC guy saw my blk/blk car in the dealership parking lot and basically would pay "all of the money" to get it -- the dealership told him that it was already owned and they wouldn't be able to get one in blk/blk for at least a year (unless they find him one and he pays double premium). i told the dealership that they could sell him my car if the get me something "interesting"-- we'll see what happens. apparently he wants to buy it through the dealership to make friends for future purchases.

i based my purchase on "market value" and not the MsuggestedRP and am confident that it was the right move.

8. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Gary,

Consider getting a 360 *now* for a great price (many good deals exist) and enjoy the heck out of it while waiting for your 430, if and when it comes. I think after a year, you would regret "not" having a Ferrari a lot more than having to drive a lowly ol' 360 in the meantime... ;-)

Tim

9. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Over the years I've found that you'll almost never get your car when you're hoping for it. I was on the 360 list for 2.5 years, which I had originally been told I was less than 1.5 years away from getting. And again I waited longer for my 360 Spider than I was told I going to. And now I've been expecting my 430 Spider within a month or two, but as it turns out, it's now more like Aug-Sept.

The way I understand it, Ferrari dealerships have four different 430 lists & orders... 430 Spider F1, 430 Spider 6sp, 430 coupe F1, 430 coupe 6sp. There is no certainty on what Italy will ask for. Sometimes they ask for 3 orders per month and the next month they might not ask for any. The most common is the 430 Spider F1. It does seem like orders are trickling in slower than they used to though, but I don't know any factual info on it.

Regarding aftermarket purchasing. I think it depends on where you're at on the list. Personally, I've never bought a car for more than MSRP. There's so many other great alternatives for better prices, such as a 360, etc...

10. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Make sure you DON'T drive an F430 BEFORE driving a 360, if paying a premium is an issue for you. Otherwise, you may have a problem...

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Ferrari has sent allocations to dealers, 50 less cars coming to North America than last year. Some dealers getting less cars than last year. Some cars like a 430 gearshift coupe dealers seeing maybe one all year.

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

Where did you get this info from or when did you hear about it?

13. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    That is consistent with what I have been told. I have been "1st" on my dealer's list for a 430 coupe (manual)--and I have been there for about 9 months. The dealer said that it is possible that their allocation for the year might not include such a car. If Ferrari has to stop importing the car in September of this year, I think it is entirely possible that I won't get a car.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have seen the allocation sheets for some dealers. I was told by three dealers about the less cars than last year situation. From what I gather this info was sent to all US dealers last week.

15. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    A dealer told me they are expecting 50% less cars this year. (Above post says 50 less cars for the year, which would be only a 4-5% reduction in deliveries.)

Ferrari normally builds 5,000 cars per year. I think about 1/4 come to the US, ie 1250 cars per year, most of which are F430. So, around 500-600 cars are either not being built or are going to another market? Seems pretty cataclysmic for dealers and those on the waiting list.

If 50% less annual allocations for US is accurate, the secondary market F430 prices will likely rise, would be my guess.

Last week I was depressed that my May 05 delivery got changed to Jan 06. Now I'm just praying Jan 06 delivery holds up. Buying a Ferrari, like growing old, is not for sissies.

16. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL

It seems that your jan 06 delivery did not hold up, right? It is Feb of 06, right?

17. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Was due a May 2006 F430 spider delivery.
    Now scheduled for a Jan 2007 F430 spider delivery.
    Thanks for the correction, I was having a "senior moment".

18. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    If that is true I do not see the US dealers standing for this for long. I think Ferrari will have to start selling another car like the Dino(maybe for the US market only) so dealers have a car to sell in the future. Won't this also mean that used 360 pricing should remain stable for the next couple of years? Or will those in the market for a used 360 spend their cash on other newer cars available from other manufacturers?
    This is very disappointing since the US has been such a strong market for Ferrari lately. You would think they wouldn't want to upset some of their best customers.

19. F430SilverArrow

F430SilverArrow Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Robert Spiteri
    I paid 40K over on 12/6/06 to get my new never titled F430 from a new Fcar dealer with 67 miles on it.

It now has ~2500 miles on it and been offered $255K from someone I know in Dallas. I will not sell it. Money can only do so much for you. Every time I drive and hear the sound of the best engine ever hand made in Marenello the purchase price does not even come to mind. If you want one of these cars, you are simply going to have to pay the cost of admission. Why do people pay $3000 to see the Super Bowl for about 4 hours of entertainment? To boot, they are not even involved in the event other than occupy a seat along with 60K-80K screaming fans.

The F430 will give you years of those 4 hour moments and you are in the driver’s seat. I enjoy just cleaning every little square inch of the inside and outside of the car. Those 4-6 hours are pure pleasure. Why...because I drive probably one of the finest and most sought after cars in the world today. Is that worth 40K over MSRP? I look at it this way. I got lucky that there was a new car to buy. However, as always that is MHO.

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    MSRP as it says itself,is "Manufacturers Suggested...".
    It has nothing to do with real market value,so I wouldn't even concern myself with the question "how much over Retail?",since the "Retail" is just an imaginary,arbitrary figure.
    The only valid consideration would be :is this car really worth to me lets say $230k(Coupe) or $300k (Spider),or should I spend my $$ on something else?

21. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    This is very disheartening news if it's true. I'm on the wait list for a manual coupe and was told that '07 or '08 delivery. Now I'm not so sure I'll get one at all. Looks like I maybe on the short end of the stick.

In my heart the F430 is the car I really desire. But paying $40-50K over MSRP, the practical side of me will make me consider other cars available. For $230K I can get perhaps the 997TT when it comes out AND a M5 as a daily driver. I need to call my dealer to get the low down on their allocation.

22. FloridaChris

FloridaChris Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Gulf Stream, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris Wheeler

Well said. Mirrors my situation and sentiment exactly. Only differnce is my F430 had 51 miles when I picked it up.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I think your dealer might be telling you this for his own reasons, but there will not be a 50% reduction. In fact most of the smaller dealers will get as many cars in 06 as in 05. The larger dealers will loose 4 or 5 cars. I said this in an earlier thread that other markets would effect US cars coming in.and one one seemed to interested oe wanted to believe it. Please do not ask how I know this, but it is the truth, and those who know me on here know I do not say things unless I know them to be true.

24. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I've been told that the reduced allocation is only 55 cars. 40 cars for the Challenge Series and 15 cars that will be used for the new driving school in Canada.

25. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Its strange everyone is saying how they spoke to their dealers and all have said there is a shortage of cars; both of my dealers I spoke to, one in the northeast and one in south florida say their allocations are more for this year than they were last year and they are very content. They were worried there would be a shortage until they got their allocations for this year (last week) but are not worried anymore. I think this is great news for those who have not gotten their cars yet--its not as bad as everyone had thought.