How realistically quick is a 355? | FerrariChat

How realistically quick is a 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Tobias, Feb 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    I realize that many new cars from 'normal' manufacturers may be able to keep a 355 in their sights, but how fast really is it? Does it have enough oomph to sink you back into your seat? Just asking for some real-world input from owners, as magazine acceleration times are a rather one-dimensional analysis of a car's performance. Thanks.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the car is not a torque machine. compared to a 550, for example, when you mash the pedal you get roughed up - pushed back into your seat. the 355 on the other hand isn't torque-less, but it won't give you that sensation (imo). what it does give you is a glorious response curve and noise at the higher RPMs that is like nothing else on earth.

if you're a torque slut, make sure you get some seat time in the 8s to make sure you're comfy with their performance.

doody.

3. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    By modern car standards its not quick off the line if you want to preserve the $6K clutch assy. You have to learn to drive a stick, but in traffic its very quick because you don't have to shift, just drop a couple of gears and put your foot into it and the 8500 redline has got your back. If you want quick get a F430. A F355 is about the look and the sound - NOTHING - IMBO looks our sounds better than an F355 Spider with the top down, with a Tubi with Hyperflow Cats-that's why you own a F355 and pay the outrageous maintenance costs.

4. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Yeah baby I'm a torque SLUT!!

5. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed that it looks and sounds awesome. About maintenance costs, you have to decide whether to cut your losses and sell or keep it, bc you've sunk so much into it that you can't EVER recoup your money so might as well keep it (me).

355s are very quick, but there are a LOT of cars out there today that smoke them, but the driving pleasure is fantastic!

Warning: don't try to race even a Subaru STI or Mitsu Evo, bc you'll probably lose. If you're buying a 355, it better not be solely for the speed or acceleration.

6. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    I've always adored the 355 as one of the most beautiful and well proportioned cars I've ever seen. I still want one more than anything because of its presence. Any kind of power is just an added bonus.

Thanks for the input guys.

7. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Well I've got to say, I have friends with both EVO's and STI's ( both of wich are stock) and neither of them will keep up with my 355. After about 80 the 355 really starts to pull away. Remember I'm talking about stock cars. The 355 may not be the fastest car around, but it certainly cannot be considered slow.

Darrell.

8. GiB_@!

GiB_@! Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I find that the 8s will push you back but only if you hold the revs at say 5 and then mash it. Its more of a huge jolt but it will slam you back in your seat.

9. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Alex I agree, not much happening below 5k. Being in the right gear is critical to get anywhere quick.

Darrell.

10. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky

Without a doubt!! here....here.

Exactly why I have mine setup the same way.

11. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    355 is a dog. Modded mine with headers, no cats, exhaust, enlarged air boxes and air filters, and still lost to a bone stock 2004 Z06. Bone stock 2000 Lotus Esprit was also faster than the 355.

12. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    I'm the hugest f-car fan there is, but almost all f-cars are out-performed (straight line at least) by similar priced cars, not to mention the cheap but modifield Suburus and Toyotas.

F-cars are hand-built, rolling pieces of art (I knew a guy who had an F-40 in his living room, next to grand piano, as a showpiece).

For the record, I currently own a 355, which I traded a Porsche 996 TT x50 on (lost my ass on depreciation) and the Porsche would run circles around it. It was not the piece of beauty that I believe my 355 is (but the build-quality was very high, no doubt).

Bottom line- don't but a 355 thinking you'll be a fast on the street- but I think you'll still like the driving experience compared to just about any other car.

Eric

13. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    I did the exact same thing...and never looked back. If "fast" is all you need, a Z06 or Porsche TT will do quite nicely, for less and with more reliablility and less maintenance.

If you want the best looking and best sounding Fcar in that price range,then get the 355 and don't sweat the 0-60...its plenty fast enough for the real world...

14. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    The 355 is a car that was tops in the 90's, compare it to the top vette of that period, not a new one. It's plenty FAST!!!!

15. GiB_@!

GiB_@! Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex
    12.9 1/4 mile bone stock. Thats huuuuuge performance. It might not be quick compared to modern sports cars or tuner cars but it aint slow :p

16. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Good luck trying to replicate that. I gave it a shot, and wasnt remotely close, even with above mentioned mods.

355 is a dog, and inmo, the styling hasnt aged very well. Not very exciting at this point. Inmo, for the driving experience, you are much better off with a 348, and keeping tha cash in your pocket. For 40K it has an excuse for being slow.

17. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Allan, I read many of your posts on the viperboard as well. Just curious if 'Ferrari's don't do it for you', why are you here?

18. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    Wow, I'll take it off your hands if it's such a pita!!

I love the styling, the sound-- and the acceleration is enough to make me smile. I've only ridden in one, but it was great! But yeah, race it prepare to lose. Even F40's lose to crap cars sometimes. The doesn't make it any less attractive from a mechanical or stylistic point of view!

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

He needs to stir some **** every now and then.

20. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    I sold it long ago. As for the looks, i too felt it was a very nice looking car, but honestly after a few months for me, the looks wore thin. So for me, so-so looks, bland performance, high maintenence costs, and crappy build quality just didnt do the job.

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well you certainly have a minority view. Too bad. The rest of us love the car for more than just it's (rather meaningless in the real world) raw acceleration times...!

22. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    So what Ferrari DO you like??

23. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Who cares that its not as quick as them sh*tboxes you mentioned?? The 355 is a classic car and much more popular than the vette and lotus will ever be. If you wanna have a quick car,buy a $30K,10sec 1/4 mile Jap car that would smoke all the cars that you have had in your garage. But thats not what its all about. :p

24. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Are you really? With what car? Maybe I missed them, but I would love to see pics of your Ferrari. If you have one...;)

25. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    If anyone thinks the 355 is slow or a dog they are lost. I dare anyone to step inside my car's passenger seat while I hammer the F1 in sport mode, shifting through the gears at 8500 rpm...the car will jolt you back in your seat upon every shift. I can be at a light, pull away slowly in 1st gear, then let off the gas pedal and then quickly rug the gas pedal to the floor and my car lights the tires up every time while the car is already in motion...and then chirps the tires with the back end twitching in 2nd and 3rd while shifting at high rpms in sport mode. Absolutely 100% true with no exaggeration.

I was laughing at some of the comments posted here...

Todd