What type of Ferrari Fan/Owner are you? | FerrariChat

What type of Ferrari Fan/Owner are you?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Zertec, Mar 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What type are you?

1. Fanatical Purist

2. Normal Purist

3. Owner Enthusiast

4. Ordinary Owner

5. “Its-just-a-car” Driver

6. Hot-Rodder

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    There are a vast range of Ferrari owners out there. The heated discussions that are ongoing in Vintage and Super Ferrari sections illustrate this point dramatically. The non-exhaustive, non-exclusive list below is my idea of the various views that exist. Feel free to add, amend, subcategorise and admit to where you fit it the list (you can fit into more than one category).

1) The Fanatical Purist
    This person would like the car (sorry, irreplaceable work of art) preserved, frozen in time if you like, the moment it left the factory gate. This individual is bound to be disappointed or frustrated by the action of previous owners who, by the simple mechanism of sitting in the car and driving it, have eroded the originality.

2) The Normal Purist
    This enthusiast recognises that the car will have been driven, scuff, damaged, used and, as a logical consequence, shows the real patina of age and use. As the car is made, at least in part, with an unstable substance (steel) it will have corroded over time. This causes a dilemma; if panels are replaced through the life of the car (damage, accident, etc.) is it still "original". Depends on your definition of original and where on the Purist Scale you reside. As a result the Normal Purist is likely to become embroiled in (often heated) discussions with other Purists.

3) The Owner Enthusiast
    This is the person who buys the car to drive it on dry Sundays. He will maintain the car as well as he can using original parts if possible but is not willing to sell his mother to do so. He will have enjoyment driving and caring for the car but overall the car is likely to only deteriorate slightly (at least in the eyes of 1 & 2 above) if at all during his stewardship. Usually a little upset when the time comes to part with the car. Sensible collectors can be entered here.

4) The Ordinary Owner
    The person who buys the car because he/she likes it. He drives it, maintains it and then, when something else take their fancy, sells or trades the car for the “new model”. Sub-categories here would include status influenced types. Not necessarily an enthusiast but will usually look after their “investment”.

5) The “Its-just-a-car” Driver
    Typified by a relatively casual attitude to maintenance and would rather use a cheaper rather than original part, e.g., he will replace panels with GRP as this would be cheaper and would not rust. Disliked by the Purist, frowned on by the Owner Enthusiast and the subject of Voodoo doll pin-pricking by the Fanatical Purist.

6) The Hot-Rodder
    This category is for those who have no particular respect for originality and will use anything to “improve” or otherwise personalise their Ferrari. “It is my car I’ll do what I like with it.”

Please join in. :D

2. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I don't see my type of future owner among your choices.

I plan to own several, take superb care of them, show them publicly like fine works of art should be shown, do very little cosmetic "modding", and drive the hell out of them everyday.

I don't view anything that is manufactured as an "investment."

Is that #7?

3. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #3 Zertec, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I think that makes you a "3" bordering on "4"

5. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Wonder where Enzo Ferrari would fit…?

6. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    "Owner Enthusiast" definitely describes me best... Shocker!

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I voted for Hot rodder.

Only because I'm willing to look at other than factory options for repair and maintanence.

I live so freakin' far away from any real "shop" that I just need things to work...

I respect you guys who are OEM all the way though!

I'm the same way with my corvettes, mostly because it's easy to find repo or OEM parts. Where I live forget it for the ferrari... NAPA fuel hose works just fine for me on the 308.

8. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Been my dream since a kid and now very privelege to own 2.
    Love to read books about it and collect those small models.

9. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i'm stuck between normal purist and owner enthusiast...maybe there's a happy medium?

john

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, I chose 5 & 6, but I dislike the 'casual approach to maintenance' comment. My 328's not original, and it's not polished, but it's damn sure not unsafe or ill-maintained, and everyone gets to drive it.

11. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    "Casual" meaning not necessarily Ferrari main dealer or OEM parts, not lack of maintenance.
    :)

12. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hmm, I think i've got be with Zertec on this one and a number 6, i'm converting my mondy for trackdays etc.. and i'm stripping it out replacing what I can with Cf.
    Saying that I would like to get a 60's ferrari one day and keep it just as it came out of the box, so that will make me a 1 & 6 ;-)

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    You missed one: nerd engineer. ;)

The first rule of engineering: Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

The original designers turned out pretty good results. Don't mess with "perfection" ... without a durned good reason.

But it's made to be used. If I ain't drivin' it, why own it?

While I respect the choices of the original designers, I can see where compromises were made. (For example, K-Jet on US models in the '80s wasn't a choice, it was a lack of options.) I'd be willing to make changes if it (a) produced a notable improvement in performance (better throttle response), (b) was operationally superior (self diagnostics), and (c) could be completely reverted back to stock.

Another example: A bit of google searching located the original aircon thermostat part from the 328: on a GE Industrial web page.

It originally came from a Coke machine. (Seriously: the application is for "drinks machines".)

Enzo had his priorities. ;)

(If you read the application notes for the 3ART5 series thermostats, they recommend not installing the unit with the capillary tube mounted vertically. But if you look at how they're installed in the 328s --- you can see why the aircon doesn't work all that well.)

So what you see is what happens when a "purist" is a nerd: Nerds just can't stop themselves from fiddling. ;)

14. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    This poll will be more interesting if it can be compared with Porsche owners to their cars...

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I definitely fit in the owner enthuisiast mold you describe. But don't paint me with just a single brush stroke. Well, I have to go carve a khopha from a piece of beechwood I have out back right now. It is next to the pile of Bolivian wormwood that I think works well with the old timbers that were salvaged from an old Seaman's chapel in Nantucket....
    :)
    BT

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im the "Normal purist " .

I dont like garage queens but i dont like all the bling stuff being added lately on them..

17. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Yeah, um, no, I don't fit any of those categories. Not actually an owner, I'm the guy who hammers at his owner father to take proper care of the car. But that doesn't mean taking it to the dealer for service, or buying all the parts from the dealer. Actually, I think I have finally got through to him on this one, as I have not been able to do on lesser cars. Me, I dote on my old VWs and even my wife's Tercel. Take care of the machine and it will take care of you.

I like the "enginerd" classification above: that's me all over. Any machine can be improved, it's a matter of how much time, care, effort, and money you are willing to spend. Ferraris are no different than any other car: a conglomeration of compromises. That said, I would never try to "improve" a classic 1950s or 1960s vintage car. They are rare enough that preserving them in original condition has a value in itself. But modern, relatively mass-produced cars are not sacred cows. Install a Tubi, or whatever. I may not agree with your choices but I won't accuse you of sacrilege.

Bottom line: take care of it, make it as good as or better than original, and by better I mean FASTER. Or more reliable :) Preferably both.

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    ACK i voted incorrectly. i shoulda been #6. Screw originality, make it better, race the living cr@p out of it :)

19. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I have different positions based on the car. Some I drive, others I pamper, others I use regularly.

20. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Depends on what car it is, if its for racing number 6 for conkers number 1 personal preference is somewhere in the middle

21. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    #3, except I am probably more obsessive than some. I do want things to be "perfect" to my own vision. Which may mean a few non-Ferrari parts that I think are better (hyperflow cats and tubi, maybe some interior trim pieces). That may offend the true purist, but to me the car will be better when I am done with it than when I started with it. I can't see replacing a poorly engineered part with something that is destined for the same eventual fate.

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I think that a lot of us are a combination.
    I am very much an enthusiast for all Ferraris and their history, and I really like them the most for their design, MECHANICAL* elegance and personality. Much like Bugattis, they are amazing machines to ponder the subtle aesthetic and mechanical beauty.
    I've modified mine a little, but I try to do it in an OEM way if possible, unrestrict the Ferrari personality where restricted and make more reliable and DIY friendly. I find working on mine very enjoyable. I guess I am a Carlo Abarth wannabe. :)

I will also come out and say it: folks that work on their own cars and drive them as designed, even a little, have a much different appreciation of Ferraris than those who do not.

I have been around just long enough to watch Ferrari culture change. I remember in the 70s going to FAF - the biggest bunch of homespun gearhead enthusiasts you could meet in a building behind some silos next to a railroad siding - no airs, liked for you to get in the cars, look at the mechanicals, walk around the shop and just stay a while and share the passion, even with young bug-eyed guys like me who drove from 5 hours Alabama just to SEE a Ferrari. This is my group.
    Try that at FoA today.

*there is nothing elegant about anything electrical in any Ferrari

23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Oh, I don't know. There's nothing inherently "bad" about relays -- they tolerate the harsh automotive environment better than silicon.

The biggest problem with Ferrari electricals that I've seen is that nobody told Enzo that connectors have current ratings -- and that you shouldn't exceed them.

24. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Clive,
    What about the type of owner who deeply loves the car for what it is (original), wants to keep it as perfect as possible (without selling mother or wife :) ) but, because of the simple pleasure of driving it, uses his (her) Ferrari as daily driver?
    THAT IS ME :D !!
    Ciao
    Eugenio

25. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I'll second Eugenio. Wishy washy about keeping it original but drive it every day, for the sheer fun.

John