Help Please! - My Testarossa starts for about a second then stops | FerrariChat

Help Please! - My Testarossa starts for about a second then stops

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gfrench, Mar 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gfrench

gfrench Rookie

Mar 14, 2006
    Can anyone help me locate the fault on my 1991 Testarossa?

It is a 11,000 mile car in A1 condition. On receipt of it back from service 2 weeks ago I was moving it back to it,s normal place in the garage when it cut out. I tried to restart it to find that it would run for about a second, absolutely normally, & then stop.

As it had been returned with the fuel gauge on empty I first thought that it was out of petrol, but on refilling it there is no change. It turns over exactly as normal & after a few cranks fires & runs perfectly for about a second, but that is it.

It was serviced by a main Ferrari Agent, Graypaul Motors, & when I asked them what the problem may be they suggested that it was a bad contact on the small electrical connections to the starter solonoid that link with the fuel injection. I have these off & cleaned them, but it is still the same.

Has anybody come across this problem & know what the cause is?

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Check out ALL the electrical connections in the engine bay. Unplug/Replug them including the black boxes under the right rear fender area. Also check the fuse panel up in the trunk. Verify that the fuel pumps run by "jumping" the relays as shown in the shop manual. Your problem does sound like an electrical issue. Hopefully our "Testarossa Knight in Shining Armor" will chime in and help....

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Could it be as simple as a bad battery?

When the car shuts down:

Any warning lights on the dash?
    Does the dash stay on?
    Any fuel smell?

Does it make a difference if you rev the motor?

If this were a porsche, I would wonderabout a coldstart solenoid...But its a ferrari.. ;(

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Mar 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Moderator -- Could you please merge the two duplicate threads with this same title.

gfrench -- Welcome to FChat, but why is this your first post! ;)

Can you please confirm what engine family is used in your TR (it's shown on top of cyl #6 in a small rectangular area, and is something like F113B, F113A, F113A046, etc.) as this may affect what "electrical" things need to be checked.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    So, it came back from a Graypaul service with 0 fuel and an electrical problem - tell them to collect the car from you and sort the problem free of charge in my opinion...

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    gfrench -- another question that would help in the diagnosis -- during the starter cranking and brief running period does the tach work?

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It sounds like it is starting off of the spray from the cold start valve, but then stops because there is no fuel being injected from fuel injectors.

One common problem is the relay that supplys power to the fuel injection lambda control units goes bad. It is located inside the black metal box on top of the rr. inner fender panel. The relay is the one that has a fuse built into it. You could just the 30 and 87 connections of the relay and see if the car will run.

Brian

PFSEX likes this.
  8. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    You should probably first try to isolate which system ignition, fuel, or electrical is causing the problem.
    The first step for me would be to make sure there is spark by hooking-up a timing light while you crank/run it to test for spark.
    If yes, then check for fuel. An easy way to check for the absence of fuel would be to temporarily hook-up a cold start injector (TR has 2?) with a momentary contact switch. Then pulse the switch after it fires--if it somewhat keeps running then there is probably a fuel delivery problem. The next step might be to check the fuel pump circuit to make sure it is getting current. Then fuel pressure...

Best of luck to you,
    Mark

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Mar 16, 2006
    I've heard via PM from gfrench that it's a F113B TR -- i.e., KE-Jet without Lambda.

The guys have already made some good suggestions about who/what the culprit might be, and I agree with Mark that confirming that you've got spark on both banks during the cranking and the brief running period is the first step needed before delving into the KE-Jet injection electrical system. (If the tach works, this would be a good sign that it's not a spark problem, but confirming the spark presence/absence directly on both banks would be best.)

If spark is not the issue, there are two voltage measurement that can be very useful in deciding what to do next on a KE-Jet TR (leave everything plugged in):

1. Verify what the "protection" relay C in the black triangular box is doing (or not doing) per Brian's suggestion. See post #6 in this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70680

You want to measure the voltage between the red wire going to the coolant thermoswitch (item 20) and ground during starter cranking and when you release the key to the "run" position.

2. Verify what the Tachometric relay is doing (or not doing). You want to measure the voltage between the Z (violet) wire in the "x" white connector and ground during starter cranking and when you release the key to the "run" position. These jpegs show where you can most easily access this violet wire.

Consequently, your task is to answer these 4 questions:

1. What is the voltage on the red wire (relative to ground) during starter cranking? (0V or +12V?)

2. What is the voltage on the red wire (relative to ground) when you release the key to the "run" position? (0V or +12V?)

3. What is the voltage on the violet wire (relative to ground) during starter cranking? (0V or +12V?)

4. What is the voltage on the violet wire (relative to ground) when you release the key to the "run" position? (0V or +12V?)

The ball is in your court... ;)

10. gfrench

gfrench Rookie

Mar 14, 2006
    My thanks to everyone who provided advise & in particular to Steve Magnusson (91tr) who has an amazing knowledge of the intricacies of the Testarossa injection wiring.

I spent a day at the weekend trying in vain to identify the gremlin in my car, but no success. Below is a resume of what I have tried / obseved & the results obtained.

The tachometer works when cranking the car & during the 1 - 2 second period that it runs.

When the engine stops all the lights on the dash remain on.

If you rev the motor during the brief running period it responds normally with a rise in revs & a corresponding reduction in running time. (Is this, as has been suggested, a result of it running on the spray from the cold start valve?)

Measuring the voltage between the red wire to the left hand side of the water housing & ground (with the red wire still connected) I get the following readings:~
    Ignition off 0.45V
    Ignition on 0.45V
    During engine cranking - Varies wildy 0.6V to 9.0V
    Key released to run position after cranking 0.5V

Measuring the voltage between the violet wire within the fuse board from the tachometric relay & ground I get the following readings:~
    During engine cranking Varies wildly 0.5V to 9.0V
    Key released to run position 0.01V

Examined the fused relay in the black triangular box beneath the right hand rear wing. The fuse is ok. Installed jumper between terminals 30 & 87, but it did not make any difference to the brief running period.

Removed both fuel pump relays & replaced them with jumpers between terminals 30 & 87. Both fuel pumps could then be heard to run, which was not happening previously. (I cannot remember if it is normal to hear the pumps running as soon as you switch on the ignition. or not? I do not think so) Tried to start the car with both pump relays jumped & the fused relay in the triangular black box replaced. The engine then ran continuously, very roughly (possibly one bank only) & the revs would not increase by pressing the throttle. When I did this, it wanted to cut out.

Replaced the fused relay in the triangular black box with a jumper & started the engine with both fuel pump relays jumped. The engine ran better, but still very rough, but like this it was possible to increase the revs by pressing the throttle, without it wanting to cut out.

I then ran out of time & direction on what to try next. I will try looking at all of the plug in connector under the bonnet for a bad contact & also same within the fuse box, but after this I am stuck.

Any further suggestions as to what else I can try next and as to why it will run, albeit badly, with the relays jumped, would be much apreciated

Regards

Greg

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Mar 20, 2006
    You're doing well Greg, but based on your measurements, I'd say that the tachometric relay is frazzled.

When the tachometric relay closes properly, this closes the fuel pump relays AND the protection relay C. This is why when you jumped just the fuel pump relays it ran, but ran poorly (and why when you jumped just the protection relay the fuel pumps quit running when you released the key to the "run" position). If you had jumped the fuel pump relays and the protection relay C, it should have run normally.

If you add a jumper wire from the "+" battery terminal to that violet wire in the "x" connector (with everything plugged in), this would simulate a properly closed tachometric relay and the engine should run OK. Alternatively, if you remove the tachometric relay from its socket and add a jumper wire to connect the 30 terminal to the 87 terminal in that socket it should also run OK (this would be my suggestion for your next test).

These jpegs give the information on the tachometric relay.

PS The fuel pumps don't run with just the key "on" -- they only run if the tachometric relay is closed and that only occurs under the two conditions described in the jpeg.

PPS The brief running time is just the time it takes for the supply fuel pressure to fall below the minimum value needed for running (i.e., the fuel pumps run during starter motor cranking which pressurizes things properly; however, when you release the key to "run", the fuel pumps shut off, but the pressure doesn't fall instantly, although it does fall faster if you rev the engine which matches your reported behavior.)

12. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    An uneducated thought--fuel pump or clogged fuel filter?

13. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    After reading with interest the analysis to date , I agree with 91TR

"...remove the tachometric relay from its socket and add a jumper wire to connect the 30 terminal to the 87 terminal in that socket it should also run OK (this would be my suggestion for your next test)."

Maybe you can open up the relay and rewire/resolder inside and clean up the relay points? If relay points are pitted then relay may be sticking. Also check for corrosion or burnt out contacts at the relay sockets and rear wiring. Clean up all contacts.

I am not sure of what the output signal of this relay should be, i.e. always on or does it send pulses to the fuel relays and pumps? If pulses, then only way to tell then would be with an osciloscope and a jumper wire may not work 100%. If you look inside the relay and there is an IC type 555 (pulse timer) then you are dealing with pulses.

Good luck,
    Ron

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Amazing......carry on......!!!!!!!!

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #15 Steve Magnusson, Apr 3, 2006
    Greg -- These are the pin number assignments for the US TR KE injection ECU connectors (your non-US KE won't have as many positions with wires, but the numbers are the same). Measure the resistance (key "off") from pin 2 to pin 21 in the unplugged wire harness end to confirm/deny if the dual water thermister connections are OK.

PS I forgot to add in my PM response that if it runs OK with the tachometric relay socket jumped then the thermisters (and their connections) are OK.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Apr 4, 2006
    (Sorry, if this thread seems somewhat disconnected to the rest of you. Earlier Greg had sent me some PMs which indicated that jumping the tachometric relay socket 30-to-87 did restore good engine running, but it seems the problem is with the input signals to the tachometric relay, and not the tachometric relay itself. Since I can't add a jpeg to a PM, I'm posting here.)

Greg -- the foodchain for getting +12V power onto terminal 15 at the tachometric relay with the ignition key "on": is:

battery
    to
    ignition switch terminal 30
    to
    ignition switch terminal 15 (with key "on")
    to
    large AN (blue/black) wire at 2nd from bottom position of connector "w"
    to
    small A (blue) wire crimped to large AN wire at the metal terminal
    to
    tachometric relay terminal 15

If the large AN wire at the 2nd from bottom position of the "w" connector isn't going +12V with the key "on" -- something is bad with the ignition switch or the large AN wire connection on that end.

If the large AN wire does go +12V with the key "on", but the small A wire going to the tachometric relay terminal 15 does not go to +12V -- the crimping at the metal terminal is bad and needs to be recrimped/soldered.

If terminal 31 at the tachometric relay is not at ground (i.e., 0.5V or less) with the engine running, just add another wire to the metal terminal holding the two N (black) ground wires and connect it to a nearby convenient ground location.

Let me know what you find post-Wednesday.

17. gfrench

gfrench Rookie

Mar 14, 2006
    My thanks again to Steve (91TR) for posting yet more incredibly detailed information to help me out.

I have gone through the checks, but have not been able to locate the fault. I list below the results obtained.

DUAL WATER THERMISTORS

Checked the resistance of the wiring via pins 2 & 21 of the 25-pin connectors to each of the injection ECU's with the ignition key off.
    Recorded figures of 3.44 ohms & 3.54 ohms respectivley at an ambient temperature of approx 15 degrees C
    (This accords with Steve's note that as the car runs with the tachometric relay jumped, the thermistors are ok)

TACHOMETRIC RELAY

Jumped a wire direct from the "+" battery terminal to terminal 15 of the relay (with the relay plugged in, but slightly withdrawn from the plug to enable the connection to be made). Tried to start the car, but the same result. Ran for 2 seconds then stopped.

Jumped a wire direct from the "-" battery terminal to terminal 31 of the relay (with the relay plugged in, but slightly withdrawn from the plug to enable the connection to be made). Tried to start the car, but the same result. Ran for 2 seconds then stopped.

Measured voltage at the relay with the ignition on
    Terminal 15 to battery "-" Reading 0.01V
    Terminal 31 to battery "+" Reading 11.9V
    Terminal 31 to battery "-" Reading 0.015V

CONNECTOR "W" TO LEFT HAND SIDE OF RELAY PANEL

I had some difficulty here as there may be a difference between UK & US specs, or maybe they are just wired different in the factory on the day?

The bottom connection of my "w" connector has a large dark blue wire with black stripe & crimped to this is a light blue wire with what can only be described as black splodges. The second from bottom connector has a large mid blue coloured wire. The voltage readings are :~
    Bottom connection ignition off - 0V
    Bottom connection ignition on - 11.78V
    2nd from bottom connection ignition off - 0V
    2nd from bottom connection ignition on - 11.74V

I did not check individually the two wires crimped together in the bottom terminal. My reading was taken on the crimped terminal. The only way I can see to check them individually is to pierce or remove some of the insulation. Is this the correct procedure?

Could you also explain what the reference "A" & "AN " refer to

CONCLUSIONS

It appears that I do not have +12V at terminal 15 of the tachometric relay. I do however have +12V on the bottom two terminals of conector W, but I am not sure that these are the correct terminals.

I am further bemused that if the problem is lack of +12V at terminal 15 of the tachometric relay I cannot understand why the car did not run when I connected +12V to it direct from the battery?

Once again any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Greg

18. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    On my Boxer i had a similar thing happen and was told that if you drive the car to empty or even close that the fuel regulators/mabey some other name? will go out and cause no fuel going to the motor.I did replace and the problem was fixed.

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Greg,

The "A" and "AN" terms are the (Italian) abbreviations for the wire colors (these abbreviations are how the wires are identified on the schematics so it's less confusing IMO to call them by these same names rather than the English equivalents).

The extra black splotches on smaller blue wire is probably OK -- they must have just made a small mistake on the F113B schematics because the smaller wire is just labeled "A" (blue) and not "AN" (blue/black) -- but it's function is very clear from the schematic so don't worry about this minor issue. (And those two bottom positions are electrically connected together on the PWB so it doesn't matter which position has the single wire and which position has the two wires)

The critical point is that all three wires in those bottom 2 positions of the "w" connector should go +12V with the key "on", and that smaller blue wire with the black splotches should go directly to the tachometric relay terminal 15 -- so you must have a problem somewhere in the crimping on the ends or a break in the wire.

Just to be sure, can you confirm that at your tachometric relay:

1. terminal 15 is connected to that same single "AN" (blue with black splotches) wire, and

2. terminal 31 has 2 "N" (black) wires?

I have to agree that it seems really strange that when you supplied +12V directly to terminal 15 (and if terminal 31 remained at ground) that it didn't work, but maybe not being able to fully plug it into the socket was a factor. It also wouldn't hurt to make an AC voltage measurement between terminal 1 and terminal 31 in the socket when you've got the tachometric relay socket jumpered and the engine running -- if you get to the point where you do have +12V on terminal 15 and terminal 31 is at ground, and it still doesn't work, this is the next signal to confirm/deny).

But your next task has to be finding out why the +12V on the smaller wire from the "w" connector going to the tachometric relay terminal 15 isn't going +12V when the metal terminal holding the small and large wire does (and, yes, piercing the insulation would be one way to check things).

Keep chewing -- there isn't any other option ;)

20. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Simply put-

the left bank coil will supply a signal to the tachometric relay (and tachometer) to let the system know that it is running, the tachometric relay supplies the signal to both fuel pump relays and keeps the thing running. If the coil does not give that signal, it will briefly run on the cold start injectors and 7-12 coil.

I have found this fault in about 6 cars in my history FWTW.

Brian

21. gfrench

gfrench Rookie

Mar 14, 2006
    Following reciept of Steve Magnusson's (91 tr) last post on this thread I set about undertaking the detailed checks that he has given me.

In trying to establish why with the ignition on I had +12V on the bottom connectoions to the "W" terminal but not at terminal 15 of the tachometric relay, I realised that I had messed up!

My mistake was that I was looking at the terminal connector block for the tachometric relay & referring to the diagram on the relay itself to identify the terminals. In doing this I was looking at "the wrong hand". This became apparent when I found that the blue wire with black splodges from the "W" connector to terminal 15 was on the opposite side to that which I thought it was.

Readings taken at the tachometric relay now make more sense, as follows:~

Terminal 15
    Ignition off - 0V
    Inition on - "+"11.72V
    Engine running via jumper between terminals 30 & 87 - "+"13.9V

Terminal 31
    Ignition off - "-"12.13V
    Ignition on - "-"11.73V
    Engine running via jumper between terminals 30 & 87 - "-"14.15V
    (Whilst most probably irrelevant, terminal 31 has only one black wire connected)

Terminal 30
    Ignition off - "+"12.12V
    Ignition on - "+"11.71V

This now says to me that all is well with these terminals & hence the problem could lie in either of the signals recieved by the tachometric relay from the starter solonoid to terminal 50 or left hand coil to terminal 1

I checked the resistance of these wires & recorded the following:~

BL (white/blue) wire starter solonoid to terminal 50 - 0.7ohms
    BR (white/red) wire LH coil to terminal 1 - 0.5ohms

From these resistance readings I believe all is well with the wiring.

This leaves the signals from the solonoid or the coil as potential causes of the problem.

As the car runs for 2 seconds I did not think it was the solonoid. Also Steve had already told me that the solonoid gives "+"12V to terminal 50 to close the relay during starter motor cranking. As a check I disconnected the connection from the solonoid & tried to start the car, without any success at all. My thoughts therefore are that this is not the problem.

I do not know what signal the LH coil sends to terminal 1 when the key is released from "start" to "run". I assumed that it was "+"12V so tried linking "+"12V from the battery direct to terminal 1. The results were sparks & a wire getting hot, so clearly this is wrong thing to do!

Brian.s kindly posted a note on this thread to say that he had found faulty signals from coils on 6 cars. It would appear that I may have the same problem, but to be sure I need to be able to replicate the signal from the coil to see if that makes the car run, or get the coil checked, which I expect is not possible.

I think that this is progress, but I am not there yet. As ever, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

Greg

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Wow -- yes, wrong thing to do! (you should've made an AC voltage measurement from terminal 1 to terminal 31 to see what was coming, or not coming, from the LH coil+power module per post #19).

I should have pressed you more when you said the "engine ran OK" when the tachometric relay was jumped, because it might have ran, but it was/is probably running on only one bank.

What you should try now is swapping the LH and RH coil power modules -- if the engine will then continue to run (but only on one bank) then you can be fairly sure that the LH coil power module (that you just moved to the RH side for the test) is toast. If the engine still won't continue to run with coil power modules swapped, then swap the coils themselves -- i.e., it becomes a case of swapping these 4 components around in various combination. If you can get the engine to run continuously (even if only on the LH bank) you know that those 2 of the 4 on the LH side are OK so you should be able to eventually figure out who is/are the bad part(s).

23. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    i have an 86 TR and i had trouble with the ignition once....after many hours of checking it turned out I had a faulty relay switch located under the right fender. When I replaced it the car started first time and ran ever since...no problems. It is Bosch relay and easy to replace, fwiw

24. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    So.... the left bank coil is possibly the problem

25. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No argument that that was the most likely culprit from the start; however, I was/am trying to convey some information so that other TR owners might be better able to have an intelligent future discussion with F Professionals like yourself when a problem arises.

Please feel free to post anything that you would like -- that's what I do.