What makes a car exotic?? | FerrariChat

What makes a car exotic??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BT, Mar 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I will start by saying that most here (including myself) consider all Ferrari models to be exotic. Would you say that certain manufacturer's are exotic car makers (Pagani, Koeniggseg, Lambo, etc..) or would you say that only certain cars are exotic (Enzo, CarreraGT, Ford GT, etc...). For example, if you would say the Detomaso Pantera is exotic, would you also consider the Panoz Roadster exotic? Does an exotic have to be made on foreign soil to be considered? Any thoughts?
    BT

2. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

I think exotic would have to be a certain set of cars that not everyone can have access to. Maybe they are not produced in great numbers or maybe a price range. I would bet there are many different qualities that make a car exotic. Just my .02

3. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Rarity, price, and looks. Performance plays second fiddle to those three. Cars like the 308, 328 and 348 aren't exotic any longer because they're simply too cheap. IE, cars cease to really be exotic when they fall in the realm of the common man. Of course perception can play into that as well. Most people don’t realise they can afford a 308, or 328 and still get excited seeing one because its ‘an expensive Ferrari.’ Rather than knowing that their lifted fully loaded truck costs more.

Cars like the Porsche Turbo aren't really exotic because they don't have the look and don't differentiate themselves enough from the normal 911. The GT3 or GT2 are debatably exotic because they do manage to differentiate themselves and are so utterly performance driven and have heritage because of that. While cars like the Carrera GT or Enzo just scream exotic from every pore.

Then there are other cars that might not be exotic but end up being very special. Like say E30 M3s. No where near expensive enough. But their purpose and rarity make them true enthusiast and heritage cars.

Then there are things way out in outer space, like say the eureka kit car. They aren't exactly common, but no one cars that they're rare. They're cheap, but they'll draw a bigger crowd than an enzo in the mall parking lot when someone literally raises the roof, side windows and front windshield off the thing because its got a hydraulic cockpit style entrance rather than a door of any sort. Is that exotic? Maybe, but most people will say its too cheap with no heritage, what with it really just being a VW BUG with a body kit.

Foreign soil? Na. I consider the Saleen S7, Ford GT and the Mosler to be exotics. They're all American and they're all bloody fast and very pricey.

So um, it all depends on the person looking, rather than the car. Though the criteria will probably always just be some different set of cut-offs in price, rarity and looks.

4. wcelliot

wcelliot Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I disagree. A car doesn't become less exotic because it's price falls to a certain level (or rather because it's price remains fairly steady and inflation catches up). In the same vein, a car doesn't become exotic because it's price has skyrocked.

Using value as a primary determiner would result in a 308 NOT being exotic but a Hemi Cuda or Yenko Camaro suddenly attaining that status... and cars like the Cadillac Allante being "exotic" from the beginning.

For the most part the ideas here are reasonable, as are the list of what they consider "exotic":

http://www.autozotica.com/az_main/az_qualifies.htm

Bill

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I would say an "exotic" needs to be all of the following:

1. A car with a reasonably high level of performance. It doesn't have to be the fastest thing around--many current sedans are probably better performers than my 328--but it can't be a slug either. Aside from some of the very earliest Ferraris, all others should fit this.
    2. Built in small quantities. I think it's safe to say that all Ferrari models probably comply. Most Porsche models, however, do not, nor do Corvettes except possibly Z06's.
    3. Are prone to turn heads. On this basis some of the more mundane Ferraris such as 400/412's probably wouldn't make the grade, so are they still "exotic"?

I don't think high cost should necessarily be a factor, though I think low-production cars will tend to be pricier.

Now, is a Lotus Elise "exotic"? Or a BMW M3? Or a Maserati Biturbo? Or a Cosworth Vega?

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I like the list of qualities they require for 'Exotic' classification. To me there are some qualities that are hard to define. High performance (relative to the vast majority of cars at the time produced), low production quantities, and looks that make heads turn make a car 'Exotic'. However, there are more desireable and less desirable exotics. Mustangs are classic GT touring cars, so no to Exotic. Exotics conjure up thoughts of cars that surprise you when you first see them , and upon subsequent viewings.
    BT

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Per Websters, exotic= foreign, strange

8. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

Don't forget 12 cyl

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Per Webster the Yugo is Exotic??? Illmitch.com would also be Exotic.... Webster needs some help here.
    BT

10. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I don't think there is a given or set formula for this. Enzo Ferrari was lucky enough to be borned and to start racing in the Golden Era of auto racing, and to this day, the Ferrari mystic carrys on because of it.

11. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    A step down from this (by ashsimmonds):
    "
    that aside, for me it's homologation specials, limited numbers, record breakers, purpose-built weapons, and those which are a leap beyond what is a contemporary high-end exotic... all road-going of course. almost always it is a model unto itself (even if initially developed from a different platform) rather than a designation of an existing model.

time does not dilute supercar status, the same way you can't take the 1972 100m dash podium finishers medallions away just because their records have been broken and now most modern olympic sprinting athletes would beat them easily. "

Taken from "What is a Super Car?" http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96560&highlight=exotic+super+car

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mostly I agree. But rarity and recognition (looks) are more important than price or performance. Perceived price matters -- it doesn't hurt to have a prancing horse or charging bull badge on the hood.

And I think it MUST be a sports car. Things like a Bentley are amazing cars, and the styling is very refined, but it's not "naughty" like a Testarossa, Boxer, Diablo or 308, which are like wearing body paint as you bend and crawl into position behind the wheel. You should be feeling hot and bothered by the time you get in. (Ferrari designed its A/C to accommodate this.)

Is a 2-valve 308 exotic? Yes. Fast? No. In a parking lot, though, a nice 308 is going to get a lot of attention. The proportions are exotic (44 inches tall?!), and you can go months without seeing one. So, I think "perceived price" is a bigger deal than market value. FWIW, I also think these cars will be more expensive 10 years from now.

Also, beyond being rare the marque must be evocative -- when you think Lamborghini, you think about scissors doors and wings. Ferrari has its racing status and movie-star associations. Aston-Martin is James Bond's car. History matters.

There are no "low-end" cars: the "starter" Ferrari is the 360, which costs about as much as house in the midwest. Exotics tend to have no more than 1 dealership in a major city.

Even some very deserving, great cars like the Carrera GT and M-B SLR don't broadcast the exotic mystique as well as a lot of lesser cars from Italy (too much of an SLK-SL-SLR continuum going on at my 4 local Benz dealers). And I don't think the CGT could be any better.

Non-exotics: The problem with Panoz, Avanti, Vector and things like Bricklins and DeLoreans is that they feel like "one-offs" -- weird cars from startup companies.

Lotus is a borderline exotic to me: with used Elises coming available in numbers, and with a Toyota engine in the back, I'm not completely sure about this one. I kind of lump Lotus with Triumph, Sunbeam and Austin-Healey -- sports cars of the 1960s, but a company that didn't get stronger as it went along. That said, I really really like the Elise for what it is.

I completely agree with your Porsche comments. After 40 years, there are just too many 911's running around for anyone not to know what it is, and now the Boxster and Cayman are there to confuse things more. All the variants look similar unless you're a car nut or read window stickers. With the Cayenne, Porsche also moved more into a traditional carmaker's role - average price, family-friendly, cup-holder-laden, ergonomically correct, etc. I liked my 911, but it wasn't exotic.

I'd say anything built in the United States isn't exotic. It's simple - you buy the Ford GT where you buy an F-150 or Mustang. The Corvette is a Chevy, and the Viper gets serviced at the same place I take my Jeep. Great cars, zero mystique.

13. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    This is a great question because Europas may or may not be exotics depending on who you ask. Here's my take:

1. It MUST be limited production. Vettes and (most) Porsches are not exotics.

2. It must have some state of the art aspects to it: high top speed, race car handling, latest technology, etc. All Ferraris are exotic since they are either mid engine, have DOHC engines, F1 transmission, high speeds for the era, etc. Plus that SOUND! Was a Bricklin or DeLorean an exotic? No.

3. They must look cool in a sports car way. Is a Rolls Royce an exotic? No.

4. They must be a driver's car. Even if they have 4 seats. Even a 400i is exotic although if it was a Ford it wouldn't be.

All Ferraris and Lamborghinis are Exotics; new Maseratis are but the Biturbo is not. Most Lotus' are exotics but not the Elan. The Elise and the Esprits are.

5. The expensive exotics are called "supercars"; an exotic need not be expensive however.

ken

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That's a good distinction. I think there were two Elans, one was a '60s roadster and the other was something of an Isuzu miscarriage?

The Esprit certainly is. The earlier ones still look very dramatic.

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I consider my Europa an exotic, but others may not. It was quick for its day, can still beat most Ferraris in the twisties, looks cool (again debateable) and has a race derived engine (the twincam, not the Renault) and suspension.

But it's also cheaply made even though they weren't cheap when new, and never really caught on with the public. So it's maybe a "quasi-exotic".

Oh, two other points: an exotic should break down a lot, and parts should be really expensive.

Ken

16. JRTurbo909

JRTurbo909 Rookie

Jan 6, 2006
    West LA
    Full Name:
    Shah
    #16 JRTurbo909, Mar 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Yeah its gotta add to the Esprit's exotic status by having a Lotus motor in it. My early esprit turns more heads in LA than some of the 360s or other more common exotics (also due to Roger Moore and the submarine)...

I think that dramatic and unconventional styling is key to the status of exotic. Like a Buick Grand National, although cool and fast, not an exotic...

low production is definately important. performance is relative since it has changed drastically as the years passed. I think that rarity and desireability are the two most crucial qualities to an exotic. Brand name doesnt matter much, its just certain companies have had more exotics than others...

Shah
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Thats why I included other criteria. However I do not consider 308s to be any more exotic than an old Carrera Turbo or vintage muscle car in the 30-40k range. Indeed I would consider a Yenko Camaro or Hemi Cuda as more exotic than a 308. Personal opinion, but frankly how can something within easy reach of 'the common man' be considered exotic? Infact it is in such reach because most people don't really want one, if most people wanted them, they'd be worth more. How can something most people don't want be exotic? Age can make something lose its luster, and lose its exoticness. My opinion.

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

I disagree that a car can "lose its status" as an exotic. A 308 is a rare, beautiful sports car and will always be an exotic to me. A DeLoraean will never be, nor will a Triumph Spitfire or MG Midget or an XKE because too many were made. I'd say if production was under 1000 units per year, it qualifies no matter what happens 20 years later.

There are few American exotics; the Cuda is not one of them; too much production and hardly state of the art in anything. We have the Viper, GT40, Ford GT, Saleen....I'm hard pressed to think of any others. Kit cars like a Cobra don't qualify (real ones do I suppose).

Ken

19. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Pasties.

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    One of the reasons I started this thread was to see if a Panoz AIV (aluminum intensive vehicle) Roadster would be exotic to most people. It has very low production (about 250 over four years), high performance using a borrowed drivetrain (like the Detomaso Pantera), and very unique and high technology structure and body (plastiformed aluminum, aluminum spaceframe) similar to the production of aircraft (reviews indicate 70% of the entire vehicle to be aluminum). Built in Georgia, and has handling performance that rival the best cars on the market at the time they were produced. The price is not too high (about $40k), but they are unique and turn heads everytime I have seen one. I was condsidering buying one a few months ago but have decided to wait until the new garage is done so I don't need to sell the 348 to make room for another car. So far I say they would qualify as Exotic to most people here. Definitely less refined than the 348 which says alot to me!
    :)
    BT

21. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    I agree...I think the term "exotic" is fluid in itself. If a car has been deemed exotic during it's production lifetime, then it's still an exotic. It doesn't become un-exotic because, by current standards, it's slower and more affordable.

However, in no way would I consider older muscle cars an exotic. That's just crazy. My grandfather owns the first ever Shelby GT350 convertible, they only made 6 original cars in 1966. It's an "EXTREMELY rare muscle car" not an exotic by any means. The newer, limited production, domestic cars like the Ford GT and Saleen might be considered exotic because they were purpose built to compete against existing exotics and priced in that range.

Cheers

22. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Is the 246 exotic? They used to be cheap and available. Was it exotic in 1985? The 308 is essentially a more powerful version of the same car, but slightly newer.

I wouldn't lump tuner cars in with Ferrari, Lambo, etc. If the manufacturer also produces pick-up trucks, it's a safe bet they don't fall into the "exotic" category.

23. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    OK we get it you do not like the 308. You already mentiones twice.
    But I think you are alone on this one.

24. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I think it defies definition. It's 100% subjective - what is exotic to one person is not to another.

As an example, by all accounts, a Cisitalia is rare, beautiful, influential, not fast and quite pricey. Exotic? In my book, most definitely - but it would be unlikely to draw a crowd at, say, Crystal Cove. I'd probably look at nothing else, others would walk right on by.

Also, we haven't mentioned geography. A Ferrari is an exotic here in southern Ontario....but in Newport Beach??

My $0.02.

Neil

25. geffen365gtc/4

geffen365gtc/4 Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    I think the only criteria for a car being considered " exotic " is peoples opinion of it. No matter the given qualities / design of any car.....it's the target market's perception that determines its value and or definition. Just my .02

Geffen