ULTIMATE KNOCK-OFF TOOL! | FerrariChat

ULTIMATE KNOCK-OFF TOOL!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gblue, Mar 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    #1 gblue, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Aloha..Here's how to knock off your own knock-it-off knock-off tool:

Just got back from Scott's garage up in Olinda..what a guy. He told me to get a 4" truck socket for $30....I arrived there at 1:00 and he grabbed the socket and went to work. Used his air powered 4" cutting wheel on the slot sides, then did it again half way through the bottom cut and used a crescent wrench to bust out the slots. The whole operation took 5 minutes.

Lined it with rubber hose and black rubber glue. Now here's the good part.......put the new socket on his 4x1 3/4" "multiplier (I had never even seen one) and attatched a 1/2" drive to it, braced the multiplier on the ground, and that knock off came off so sweet and easy I couldn't believe it.

You could make it with a 10,000 rpm grinder too....Slots are 1 1/2" wide and 1" deep. We got da good kine mechanics here in Hawaii.......
    I'm ordering a 4x1 multiplier today.....Gregg Blue..206 GT 00350
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sweet!
    I've read that some guys use leather to line the contact points on their knock off tools to protect the edges, but I like your idea of the breather hose.

3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    nice work

To properly use that tool you'll need a torque wrench that works both directions to 350lbs, lead hammer works good though for me and you can retighten and check them when stopping for fuel.

4. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    Aloha...where did you get your hammer and how many lbs ?

Also...which is the more fun to drive ..the 328 or the 512....

ever drive a Dino and if so can you compare it to your
    328 or the 512?

Mahalo..Gregg Blue

5. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I got the hammer from harbor freight, they have a website as well its a 3lb lead, also got a 5lb lead from an industrial supply Mcfadden, both work well.

The 328 is fun but the Boxer is a different world with its power and sounds and the way it drives, I'll never sell it. Never have driven a Dino so can't compare them but I assume it would be close to the 328 but lighter as they are the same layout.

Regards

Jeff

6. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    Aloha Jeff...how about sending me a foto of the boxer..it's the onlt other madern day ferrari with great styling IMO...carbourated is the best.....Gregg

7. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    Gregg, thanks for the great tip. This sort of "nothing-in-it-for-me-but-just-thought-it might-help" posting is what makes FerrariChat so great.
    Tom Kizer

8. bazooka joe

bazooka joe Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    where to purchase ?

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #9 velocetwo, Feb 27, 2014
  10. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    i haven't been able to easily find the truck socket. Got any vendors, or further description? thanx steve

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Steve - I bought one a loooong time ago, I think it was through Amazon, but not positive. They are on eBay if you search for 4" truck socket.

12. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    NAPA Stores have the 4" socket. I used some scrap leather from Tandy to cover mine, especially because my cuts with a saber saw did not look good.

13. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I believe it is actually a 4 1/8" socket. If you go to this website it explains making it in detail - www.rmccar.cwom/techsession.html. RMC is Radcliffe Motorcar Company. The little ears on the cut outs keep it from falling off the knock off. I use it with a 3/4" 300lb torque wrench from Harbor Freight. Pretty cheap for a torque wrench, but for this I did not care about the accuracy. I also use the plastic covered lead hammer from Harbor Freight to check the tightness periodically.

14. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sorry to beat this to death, but I could not get the above link to work. If you google 'knock off tool 4 inch socket' Radcliffe comes up a few items down. Click on it and you get their tech session instructions.

15. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    If you don't want to get your fingers cut off I have one for sale in ads if interested.

16. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I have one for my espada ... Brilliant

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

17. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Two things here:

1) Can we resolve if this is 4" or 4 1/8" socket? (BTW it's for a truck wheel bearing)

B) Read the Harbor Fright reviews on the 3/4 torque wrench, and i'm a big fan of HF for some things. Apparently this won't work CCW, so you can only do the driver's side on a vintage Ferrari with the wrench.

Caveat Emptor. s

18. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    FYI, I decided years ago to remove the tech session on making the wheel nut tool for fear of liability. I have personally used this type of wheel nut tool for the past 15 years on both three ear and two ear knock offs. Obviously a different 4 1/8 socket needs to be cut for a two ear knock off. The part number for the socket is a KD tool P/N 2459, it's available at most NAPA stores. Keep in mind it's a 3/4 inch drive

Many years ago I found the only place in a Ferrari workshop manual for the torque spec on wheel nuts. In a 250GT workshop manual it states the torque value at 300 Ft/lbs. There is a calculation for torque values for the size and pitch for threaded fasteners as well but you'll have to search the internet for that.

Two issues to consider, when using a 1/2 drive torque wrench most do not go above 200 ft/lbs, however if you extend the the 1/2 drive straight out 16 inches you'll double the torque value ie: set your 1/2 drive torque wrench at 150 Ft/lbs and with the 16 inch extension you'll achieve 300 ft/lbs. Snap on used to sell a torque wrench slide rule with that calculation.

The other point to this diatribe. Although anti-seize is a great lubricant for the purpose of
    prevent seizure and galling between metal surfaces, if you drive your cars any distance in rain and or wash your vehicle, anti-seize has a tendency to wash off. I use marine grease which will not wash off and provides the same protection. Make sure you are not only greasing the splines but the tapers on the hub and especially where the taper on the wheel nut contacts the end of the hub. That taper is what really tightens the wheel to the hub.

Okay I'm done, back to work

19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Any suggestions for a good torque wrench?

20. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    To the best of my knowledge most torque wrenches these day are made by Precision Instruments. I could be wrong but I believe some the Snap On torque wrenches are made by them as well. A 3/4 inch drive makes the job a lot easier than using the adapter to double the torque value, however you'll pay a lot more for 3/4 inch drive. Obviously a Snap-on Torqometer is the gold standard of torque wrenches, but you'll pay, I've had one for 40 years.

21. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Although I'm not an engineer and readily defer to the experts, am I not right in thinking that torque settings are usually quoted for dry, unlubricated threads?

Sure, grease the splines and tapers but not the threads themselves.

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #22 Napolis, Feb 28, 2014
  23. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
  24. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I got the HF 3/4 in., 300lb. torque wrench a few years ago specifically for this purpose and it is reversible - works on and off both sides of the car. It's nice and long so you do not need an extension. In neutral the car starts moving before the nut loosens. However, I would not trust a $79 torque wrench for accuracy.

25. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #25 todaxyz, Feb 28, 2014
    Here are some pictures of mine. I bought the KD 2451 3.5" which fits my knock offs a bit tighter than the KD2459. I cut up some old copper tubing which is soft enough to prevent marring and secured a double layer of it with JB weld. Although the JB weld doesn't always hold, adding the duct tape does the trick of holding it in place. Torque wrench is 40" so plenty of leverage. The set up works great and I no longer worry about smacking and glancing off the knockoff with the hammer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login