Bad ferrari accident in Gwinett County | FerrariChat

Bad ferrari accident in Gwinett County

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by theman11, Jan 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
  2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    What a sad way to bring in the new year, I wonder if they were members here?

Everyone be careful out there.

3. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Fiery Ferrari Crash Leaves Driver Dead, Passenger Hospitalized

Friday, January 2, 2009 – updated: 2:46 pm EST January 2, 2009
    LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -- Gwinnett County police say the driver was killed and his passenger severely burned when a yellow Ferrari went off the road on a curve, struck a culvert and overturned.

Police say 32-year-old Russell E. Hays of Auburn died in the fiery crash Thursday night outside of Lilburn. The man identified as the car's owner, 36-year-old Todd Willoughby of Lilburn, the founder of a classic car collector Web site, was at Grady Memorial Hospital Friday. His condition was not immediately known.

"The driver of attempted to negotiate a curve on Harmony Grove Road when (he) lost control of the vehicle," said Gwinnett Police spokeswoman Cpl. Illana Spellman in a statement released to wsbtv.com.

She said both men were ejected from the vehicle, and Hays was partially trapped underneath the burning car.

Spellman said toxicology tests would determine if alcohol was a contributing factor.

4. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
  5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Why do standard seat belts seem to fail in these cars when they are really put to the test? The 2 hockey players in a black Ferrari were another example in GA...
    CH

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A shame.....

No seat belts??

Thoughts and prayers to the families involved.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You have to buckle them, IIRC.....

9. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    In that crash, which is eerily similar to this one, police remain uncertain whether either person was belted. In this one, neither person was buckled in. From the article: "Both the driver and passenger were unrestrained."

Like BigTex said... you've got to buckle them for them to work.

10. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thats awful. I don't know why you wouldn't wear seatbelts if thats really the case. I dont think I've ever met the owner.

11. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does anyone know for sure that it was a Ferrari, in the Forsyth Herald they mention it was a White 2003 Nissan 350 Z?

12. UGAFerrariFan

UGAFerrariFan Rookie

Jun 6, 2005
    GA
    I used to work with Russell... We were by no means close but he was a great guy. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends as well as the owner and his loved ones. I too had heard Ferrari though through people at the office.

13. theman11

theman11 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Here is another article. hope the passenger makes it. Prayers sent.

1/3/2009 12:01:00 AM Email this article • Print this article
    Driver killed in car crash

By Josh Green
    Staff Writer

LILBURN - A Ferrari driver from Auburn was killed and another passenger severely injured in a New Year's Day crash in Lilburn.

Police said Russell E. Hays, 32, lost control of the yellow, exotic vehicle near a curve on Harmony Grove Road at Nimblewill Way about 9 p.m.

The car left the right side of the roadway, struck a culvert and ejected both occupants as it flipped, Gwinnett police spokeswoman Cpl. Illana Spellman said.

Hays was partially trapped beneath the car, which caught fire and burned both victims, Spellman said.

The passenger, who has not been identified, was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital with severe burns. Hays died on scene, police said.

Spellman said alcohol may have contributed to the crash. Results of toxicology tests are pending.

14. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    This article says it was a "yellow Ferrari."

15. classiccarenthusiast

Jan 5, 2009
    I am a friend of both the families and the passenger and owner of the ferrari is doing well. The family of the driver of the car that was killed is accepting donations at Regions Bank under the name of Russell E. Hays. Russell was married with two young children and every little bit will help.

16. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Yikes this is terrible. :(

17. honest abe

honest abe Rookie

Jan 7, 2009
    #18 honest abe, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    Why did Todd Willoughby leave the scene of the accident? Why is it heard that he began to fabricate a story about the car being stolen? Todd, K, J and R know! Russell Hays was not capable of driving a Ferrari to a speed of over 100mph in .4 of a mile. This was the first time he had touched a Ferrari. Only someone who is a professional or owns such a car could gear it up that fast in such a short distance. These guys all saw the car leave with Todd driving- come on and come clean with the truth.

18. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    If you know this to be true, shouldn't you go to the authorities with this info? No one here knows anymore than what was stated in the news! We don't even know what type of Fcar it was !

19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    ...that car was split in half.

20. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Uh...

Press the gas and the car accelerates. Speaking from experience, I can say that 100mph in four-tenths of a mile is certainly within the realm of possibilities. Remember, these cars have automatic transmissions - it takes no professional to 'gear up' an automatic.

21. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I agree 100%. I'll bet 100mph is possible in .25 mile. If you were at a drag strip and stepped on it and held it down, you would be there or slightly more.

22. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What kind of Ferrari was it?

I don't know about you all, but I wouldn't feel comfortable jumping in someone else's car (especially a Ferrari) and hammering down the throttle like that. I think that is disrespectful and irresponsible. You have to drive a car for a bit to learn its handling characteristics.

23. beezerhound69

beezerhound69 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The "professional" part of honest abe's statement, i wholeheartedly agree , is a bit overstated. Simply put, those who knew Russell , including me, would largely agree with abe's assessment that Russell wasn't capable..

24. InterestedParty

Jan 9, 2009
    #25 InterestedParty, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    I know the home that the owner of the vehicle and the other party had been to, and believe me, it is almost a certainty that alcohol as well as other drugs would likely be involved. Another friend of theirs died on their sofa a few years ago of a heroin overdose.

I have no direct knowledge of this incident, but if the previous poster who said "J & R know", has any pertinent information about this accident, they should report it to the police. "R" most certainly won't, and it's unlikely she would allow "J" to do so either.