Atlanta area Air Conditioning repair shop | FerrariChat

Atlanta area Air Conditioning repair shop

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by David Danhof, Aug 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Danhof

David Danhof Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    David Danhof
    My A/C went from adequate to luke warm air recently. I tried to charge it but it would not take much and made no difference at all. Time to pass to someone with some know-how. I know FOA is the default, but inconvenient location (I live in town) and $. Anyone familiar with a trusted independent shop for this type of work?

85 Modial QV w/ 134 conversion completed a couple years ago. Compressor is engaging, just not cooling nearly like it used to. This all accurred before the recent heat wave so it is not simply a result of higher ambient temps outside.

Thanks all.

Gotta love these cars. Just installed the slow window fix by adding two relays (works great now BTW) and now the headlights won't pop up. The battery cut off switch also did not cut off the current. I had to disconnect the negative terminal to cut it off.

2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    a/c units are an entity all to themselves, once installed, they have little to do with the label on the car. Their basic functions are the same. Trouble shooting an installed unit on your car is no different from any other. You should be able to take it to any reliable a/c technition for diagnosis and routine service.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A couple of years ago, Auto Cool in Smyrna did a good job of finding a couple of leaks that had deprived my unit of coolant, and they did a good job of replacing the hoses (which required removing one of the gas tanks!) and updating the system to R134, all at a reasonable cost and time.

The air conditioning works pretty good now if the car has been in the shade, but not so good if the car has been in the sun at all, but I think that's the nature of the beast.

http://www.autocool.biz/WELCOME.html

4. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    In addition to what Jim posted, I believe that Frank Parker had his done last year.....although I don't recall the name.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    No, it's the 134.

I would never call installing 134 an "update"

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Give Ron Rineke a call, he can trouble shoot your issue. I've been using Freeze 12 in my system, and it's been working great. even with the car in the sun, the cabin is ok... when i frist take it out of the garage - its freezing cold ... as long as you dont park the car in the direct sunlight and get it heated up the AC actualy works pretty well. I had the car out on Saturday - ambient temp 97F, internal temp 73, vent temp 64. Very humid.

I recommend the Freeze 12 as an alternative to R12 / or conversion.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It still is no R12, in fact Freeze 12 is just a scrubbed 134. I tried it and ended up pulling everything back out and starting from scratch with the real deal R12 in the Scirocco. It blows cold again instead of really cool

Seriously guys, we live in the deep south. Why try to save a few bucks on a/c chemicals in a FERRARI of all things? The a/c is sub par at best - why make it worse than normal when we don't have to? Spend the money and get another 10 degree+ drop.

Ron can fix anything

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    While I understand your comments, I have not had the same experience. It's not so much about the money, as it is the availablity. I can buy Freeze 12 with out a license, install it my self, and keep cool... which is better than in my 308, when it just plain never worked. i think the the 328 has a bit better cooling capasity so maybe that is why it works for me????

I agree that Ron can fix it all!

9. David Danhof

David Danhof Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    David Danhof
    Thanks all. I have reached out to Ron.

10. David Danhof

David Danhof Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    David Danhof
    Follow up:

Thanks to those who referred me to Ron. He repaired the A/C and while he had the car I had him tackle several other projects that were giving me fits; headlight switch, trunk latch, gas door, battery cutoff. Could not be happier with the experience. Highly recommend him should the need arise and who is kidding, the need will always arise.

Drove the car every day for the week following completion, just a joy to be able to say everything, absolutely everything is working as it should.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Contact info. Please

12. senna1219

senna1219 Karting

Feb 15, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    404-435-6760. Great guy and great Fcar knowledge.