Remembering FAF | FerrariChat

Remembering FAF

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Horse-power, Jun 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horse-power

Horse-power Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    #1 Horse-power, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today I was going through my Ferrari memorabilia and I came across the parts and accessories books of the 1990's from FAF. My grandfather brought me to my first ever visit in 1992. I was 5 years old and I was given a chance to sit in a F40. He also bought me a 1/18 F40 model and a owners manual plus two brochures. My brochure collection has grown over the years and every visit to FAF gave me a chance to sit in some great cars and to add to my collection.

I was wondering how many of our Ferrari guys here in Atlanta collect Ferrari brochures, owners manuals, and yearbooks?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  2. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    I have several of their sales pamphlets from the late 70s. Nothing as fancy as yours though. Certainly was a great place to get your exotica fix. I remember being told by them that the 246 Dino would never amount to very much. Look at the 246s now!

Ciao,
    George

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have all except those first two.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I have the FAF Survivors manual I think from the early 80's. Think it is the back and yellow cover. Some good tech articles in there as well. Was that the first one?

Drew

5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    FAF always did a fair amount of merchandising. I attribute a lot of that to Steve Ahlgrim who today is active in FCA Regila.

Drew

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My father bought his '81 308 GTSi in 1985. I loved looking at the exploded view of that car's sheetmetal in the FAF catalog.

What happened to FAF?

7. FMofAtl Parts

FMofAtl Parts Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    FMofAtl Parts
    I really liked those old catalogs too, but I might be a little biased because I did a lot of the work on them.

I still have the original paintings from the 1995 and 1996 catalog covers up in the warehouse.

Ken

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It turned into FOA

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It was that and a massive parts supply that kept them afloat. Remember back in the mid 70's Ferrari was only importing the GT4. That, with a bad economy/oil embargo etc, it's amazing that any Ferrari dealer could stay open. Apen found that nitch and was rewarded for it.

10. Horse-power

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    Hi Ken, I just have to say 'Thanks', those catalogs have set the standard on how Ferrari memorabilia is looked at! You have done a great job for a very long time and my collection of Ferrari things are first rate. West

Hi Dr. T. speaking of the 308 GT4 Dino. I found one on the street in 2004 - a red one when I was checking her out the owner approached me and asked if I knew what model she was.
    He told a story on how the car had to be rebadged a Ferrari because the car was not selling as a Dino. He related his 308 was once 'FAF's' demo car back when it was new and it was painted silver at the factory.
    In his words, the 308 was stolen from the dealership and the thief's then used the car to rob a bank. He then related the car was damaged by bullets when the bad guys were being apprehended. The car later was painted red. I don't know if this story is real but it was better then just getting a pic or two. LOL

11. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    The parts guy at FAF went on to start his own parts supply company wen FAF went away.
    That gentleman's name is Ted Rutland... the rest is history :)

JD

4re308 likes this.
  12. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I remember visting FAF in October '87. They had a new black Testarossa on the showroom floor and it was also the first time I met Steve Ahlgrim. Such a nice and pleasant guy! I also miss Ferrari South which went the way of FAF thanks to FoA.

13. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    #13 4re308, Jul 10, 2012
    I've got so many fond memories of FAF Motorcars, I would not know where to start. My first memory was in 1984 when my mom dropped my best friend and I off at FAF and there was a 288 GTO sitting outside, I almost passed out. There was also a black Countach, a Chiaro blue 308 GTS and some Dinos that day. My father ended up buying some cars from Ric Schuman in the 90s. I still have A TON of FAF Buyer's Guides, Accessory Guides, Photos, keychains, stickers and more.

Anyway, I had a blank FAF dealer tag and had some original FAF employees sign it at a recent Ferrari event.

There are 8 autographs on this plate: Ewing Hunter, Mike Gorley, Harold Lovinger, Dave Seibert, Bo Pirkle, Ted Rutland, Jim Weed and Serio Sartor. I absolutley LOVE this piece, its hanging up in my garage. I still need to get Ric & Steve Ahlgrim and some other originals to sign it. You likey?

14. Horse-power

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    Mitch, Awesome. Thanks for posting. I always had that rush every time we drove down that dead end street and seeing the cars lined up outside. To see a 288 GTO and a Countach would be too much to take in. LOL :)

15. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    You need Rick Charles and John Appens siggy's on there!

JD

16. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    I went to FAF back in the early 80's - I had to be 9 or 10 years old. A Dr. neighbor of ours had a collection of exotic cars and no kids. Needless to say they took me along a quite a few Auto related adventures. My first trip to Daytona ect. I still have an old brochure from FAF. Very cool place.

DON'T FORGET TO SHARE YOUR HOBBY WITH THE KIDS.

Joe Frazar

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #17 Gatorrari, Jul 10, 2012
    The location's identity as FAF pre-dates my time in Atlanta, but I had some service done there during its later identity as Old World Motorcars. Here's a photo I took back in 12/09.

18. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #18 Patek, Jul 10, 2012
    Photo of John back in 2007. We bought a brand new 308GT4 in 1975 from John.
    Then Bought the first new Ferrari they ever sold as a dealership, it was the Fiberglasss
    308GTB.
    The first ferrari we bought was from Baker Motors in Atlanta it was a 1973 Dino 246GTS. The GT4 was white, Dino Red.
    The black Boxer used to belong to Gene Hackman, the actor. This was shot
    in the FAF parking lot behind the building, or side of the building.
    John offered us a 288 GTO for $90,000 but who had that kind of money back then.
    In 1987 The BB Boxer was $60,000, but we bought a Mondial for $30,000
    You have to stick to your budget. But I do remember when the TR's were selling for over
    $170,000 and John saidn "One day these cars will bring less than $90,000." John
    sure read the tea leaves then. But we did manage to buy a new ferrari every year in the
    1970's.
    John liked the old cars , and Ewing was into selling the new stuff. Gerald (market Letter) always to us to buy the newest thing Ferrari made, even if it was a few month newer, as back in the 70's Ferrari would improve on things in a matter of a few months.

Elton John's Drummer Nigel Olson had his Ferrari worked on there in the FAF shop. I remember he had a Ferrari Boxer, burgundy and black, special paint job that was a wicked looking car.

19. Horse-power

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    #19 Horse-power, Jul 10, 2012
    Flea7, Merlin Auto Group and WJC like this.
  20. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Ooops...

Going back into history, I had just purchased a basket case Type L 246 Dino. I was rebuilding the engine and transaxle and was looking for a parts source. I called FAF and was told that "the Dino was not a real Ferrari" and you should call Ted. Ted and I have been friends and business partners now for just over 30 years. Not only did I buy all of my Dino parts from Ted, but so did my growing independent repair shop I had at the time. Many personal Ferrari later and once again back in the Ferrari service business, Ted still is my first call for Ferrari parts.

4re308 likes this.
  21. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    GREAT stories everyone! Keep them up!

I would love to get in touch with any old FAF employees. In fact I was thinking of writing an article about the good ole FAF days and include some of my many great stories. Does anyone have John Apen's email or cell #? I know he is down in FL somewhere.

I was there when there was a white Koenig TR twin turbo there, who remembers that car? My GOD I will never forget the roar of the car when the owner, I believe his name was Willy Wilkens (sp?), picked it up and floored it going up the small hill out of the culdesac. Dr Tommy did you ever see that car there? That is the car that ended up on the cover of a Prancing Horse issue. Am I kicking off some recall synapses?

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 308 was John Apen's car at one time. He sold it to me 15 years ago. Funny thing; I was at a Southeast Saturday at FAF back in about 94. Maybe a bit earlier. He drove up in it and I thought is was the coolest looking 308 in that metallic black. He saw me looking in the window and came over to open the door and let me sit in it. He actually asked me if I wanted to buy it - which was a total joke to me since I was a completely broke student still driving the Scirocco I had from high school. He didn't know that though.

4 years later I did buy it from him :D

4re308 likes this.
  23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #24 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jul 11, 2012
    My first visit to FAF in July 1986. Ric took me for a ride in a 308 QV.

Seriously, how cool was that for a 18 year old? GREAT people!

4re308 likes this.
  24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    BTW, I am pretty sure that was an 85 model. What I do know for sure, and you can just make it out in the picture, is that it had black piping on the tan seats.

So if any of you had, or know of, a black 308 with tan and black piping that was in Atlanta summer 1986, there it is back in the day.