Vacationing in Savannah | FerrariChat

Vacationing in Savannah

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by PrimusPilus, May 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PrimusPilus

PrimusPilus Rookie

Mar 29, 2010
    My wife and I will be in Savannah for a few days next month. I'd like to take her out for a nice meal while in town. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    We enjoyed Vic's on the River - decent food, great atmosphere if you want something romantic.

Perhaps a little "touristy", but IMHO completely worth it, is Lady and Sons. That's Paula Deen's restaurant, you MUST do the buffet. You have to get there early to make the reservation, but again, worth it. I love Fried Chicken and I'm a big grits eater - the Fried Chicken was awesome, and the grits with grillades was about the best thing I ate down in Savannah.

Olde Pink House and Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room are highly recommended, but I didn't eat there. We ate at some places along the river that were fine, but not enough for me to remember and/or recommend. Just there, but not bad - more the experience.

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1 on all those recommendations.
    I also would suggest Vinny Van GoGo's pizza for a great outdoor casual pizza experience in City Market. Great for people watching.

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We go to Hilton Head every year and always take a trip to Savannah. There are a lot of good restuarants and art galleries there. Lady & Sons always has a huge line so we have yet to make it there.

We have tried Anna's in the City Market a couple of times and food has been great. The cajun shrimp and cheesey grits are amazing.

5. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Definitely check out the world-famous Breakfast Club if you get a chance: Home

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    If you find a chance, don't miss the Fleet landing restaurant and Hominy Grill is my all time fave Savannah restaurant.....OH YES don't forget to try Zunzi's too! SO much good food down there.

7. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Send me a pm and I will be glsd to give you my number. I am in the area here amd would be happy to meet up if you like.

Scaledetails knows Savannah a LOT better than I do though.

PDG

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android

8. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

LOL!! I am downtown every single day, love it.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    bumping this thread, gonna be in Savannah in 3 weeks with the gf; where should we stay, where should we eat, what should we do...

do they above recommendations still stand?

10. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Yes, pretty much the same recommendations are still good. I definitely recommend staying on or near River Street so you are within walking distance to everything and you won't need your car.
    The Hyatt, Bohemian, and River Street Inn and 3 great places to stay on River Street, with great views and restaurants.
    Definitely go to Vinny Van Gogo's pizza for outdoor seating/people watching in City Market.
    If you want to impress, Circa 1875 (French Bistro) is incredibly good (dinner only), and also within walking distance.

11. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    It figures that after I move away THEN you decide to visit Savannah!!!

I would suggest checking out the Moon River Brewing Company - I literally discovered them right before I left - its reportedly the most haunted building in Savannah, which is also the most haunted city in the US. I asked one of the waitresses and she took me both downstairs and upstairs to poke around for a few minutes - it was VERY cool!!!

River Street Sweets is pretty cool too - they have some great chocolate and other deserts. Also watch Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Then don't pay to go on the tour, but it gives you some idea of the atmosphere and surroundings that you will find there.

The Shell House is a nice place that's away from downtown. Its over by 95 and Abercorn.

I also wish I had gotten to go on one of the downtown carriage rides, or one of the haunted tours. I started making a list shortly before we had to move (which was last week) and didn't get to do much of it at all. I might also suggest going up to Hilton Head just north of Savannah - nice beaches.

PDG

12. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Parking in downtown is HORRIBLE!!! If you can find a place at all - I actually found that parking across the river at the Convention Center and then riding the boat across was a lot easier (and cheaper).

PDG

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    thanks guys! working on arrangements right now :)

I know...ridiculous. one of these days....

since you've previously mentioned your ability to connect with the paranormal, was it a good/fun experience or awkward/creepy?

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    For good food - dont go.... but if you must:

Pink house and Chart house are good.

I'm a food snob... and its not in my opinion a great place for food - but ok...

Paula Dean's place - totally not worth it...

15. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    My experiences at Moon River Brewing Company were very short, however, I did get a feeling that there was SOMETHING there. If I had maybe another 10-15 minutes I think I could have picked up on more. Downstairs I went through the location where the previous owner kept LIONS as an attraction then back toward the deeper basement. I definitely got a sense of forboding walking through that area. When we went upstairs I still had that real sense of cold that comes from an old place filled with spirits. Apparently some people who have been there have experienced full on Poltergeist events. I wasn't fortunate enough to witness anything like that.

If/When you go there I definitely recommend asking your waitress about it. Ours was very accommodating, but it was the end of her shift and I didn't want to hold her up too long otherwise I would have spent more time there to see what was going on.

Their website has quite a bit of information about the history and ghosts there:

Moon River Brewing Company - Ghost Stories

PDG

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah I had no plans for Paula Dean's place :)

I know you're a food snob but still I find that surprising...lots of people rave about Savannah. but food isn't the focus of our travels, so probably not a problem for us.

17. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
  18. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I too will be in Savannah in a few weeks, if I have time I'll give you a call Stephane.

19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Sounds good Walt!

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    For great food in the south - Charleston... now you're talking.

Savannah is ok - very pretty and colonial but just not there... however if you like boild shrimp sausage etc... try a "low country boil" & beer... pretty good. but messy.

did one at Fort Pulaski once and it was fun - very old fashioned - out on the table etc.. that is kind of the traditional fare of Savannah

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was going to recommend a visit to Fort Pulaski, a very interesting place. A fort with a real moat (allegedly occupied by at least one gator) and a real drawbridge!

22. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    You're right on the money there Tom. Charleston is so much better than Savannah in the culinary world. Even with some of the crap you get here at some well known places, they're still packed with tourists (LOL!!).
    We're so looking forward to moving to Las Vegas soon. We've had our best meal experiences there, and I consider myself a well traveled French food critic ;)

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    OK thanks guys! Charleston is on our weekend trip list too, maybe later this year.

24. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  25. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Any thoughts on eating at Alligator Soul? I’ve had friends back home in Fl. tell me that it’s worth stopping in.