Balance & alignment in Roswell/Alpharetta | FerrariChat

Balance & alignment in Roswell/Alpharetta

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by shmark, Feb 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anyone have a recommendation for a good shop that handles high speed balancing and alignments in the north Atlanta, Roswell or Alpharetta area? I need to get my Corvette done soon.

Also looking for a shop that can test emissions without sending to the state, since I'm trying to fix a problem.

2. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    Gran Turismo East is great but they're in the Chamblee area.

3. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    See Geordie (store mgr) at Butler Tire in Alpharetta.... Excellent shop.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Grand Turismo East - will balance perfectly and will not hurt your rims.

I've had Boxer, Daytona mags and Boranni wires done there - always good. And I live in Tuscaloosa. Not to far for you to go.

I have no idea on the GA state emmission stuff.

Drew

5. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Everyone says how good gran turismo is but I tried them once and won't go back. I took my 928 there to get an alignment and told them they cannot lift the car because the suspension will be altered. First damn thing they did was lift it, easy to tell by the fender gap. The guy told me not to worry about it and was downright unpleasant. Doesn't help the place looks like a dump either. I'll probably try butler tire, had good luck with them in the past.

6. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    gran turismo had done great work for me numerous times until they let some kid move my e-gear murcielago who didnt know how to release the hand brake. smoked the crap out of my clutch while I was watching (and yelling). also put the wrong size rear tires on my 430! needless to say I wont be going back.

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Doesn't surprise me. My 928 was lowered with considerably wider tires than stock, and because of the suspension design, alignments change if it's lifted - it takes some driving to resettle. The guy didn't seem to care at all. Maybe it was a bad day but it was enough.

It also surprises me that a business that supposedly caters to a high end performance market is located in that area, and looks like a corner used tire store. And my old 928 was by far the nicest car there that day. Probably shouldn't judge a book by its cover I suppose, but I didn't like the place, and the experience reinforced the impression.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've used GTE for years and never had any issues. Karin is a good guy - kinda country but very nice and welcoming.

Butler Tire on Roswell road - terrible service .. unless you are a rap star and want 25 " wheels in chrome and yellow... but i digress

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    butler is great if you like paying top dollar. great locations (GTE is in the hood). harris was awesome.

10. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    no doubt GTE s the best..no one is perfect. they are however the most perfect, and will set things right, and really care about the cars. forget butler. forget kaufman. you want the best- go see Keiran and get it done right.

11. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Harris told me 2 yrs before the Firestone / ford explorer rollover fiasco to get those tires off my car. told me they were crap. Knew harris since 1993- never sent me the wrong direction. current crew equally as good. Harris once owned a 65 GT 350 R ( on of just a few made ) that sold for over a million dollars a few years ago. if you knew what he sold it for ( which was then a princely sum) you'd be shocked.

12. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I live on the northeast end of town not far from Gran Turismo; took my Lotus Esprit there based on alot of hype from friends. I was told that I needed a different size tire and and what was on the car was wrong......I then recall my brother taking ALL of his high end cars to Butler in Buckhead/Roswell Road. I run by Craig, owner's son what GTE was wanting to do.

He pulls up the specs for the Lotus and I read that changing the tire size to what they recommended will greatly alter the handling of the car????????????? I then call a former Lotus racing guy I know who was with the team for years and tell him and he tells me same thing, that tire size will be quite noticeable in a bad way. I have to say that GTE is in a dumpy location for years, I am sure it's cheap rent but the neighborhood is rough and I cannot see taking your F car or any other hi end car there.

Now, I ONLY use Butler; they just found why Dekalb Tire could not get my wife's SUV to ride right over and over again. He calls me over and shows me two things, A. she must have curbed a wheel and it is damaged and B. the tires they sold her(she went there since we used to go there) were out of round and they could not figure it out?; Butler even set my Panoz up and it's awesome, even added some new headlamps for me and figured out why my Aston brakes squeak all the time; I "aint no rock star but I do get great service and KNOWLEDGE from Craig at Butler tire. PS He even got a company to make new centercaps with the Panoz logo for my new wheels, I get a ton of compliments, to me it is a full service place for this kind of stuff! Doc

13. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    All this blather about GTE being in a "rough" neighborhood is silly and laughable. No wonder Ferrari owners get a bad rap for being snobby and elitist!

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I took my 328 to Butler Tire in Marietta for a 4-wheel alignment and afterwards, my front tires wore worse than they did before. I went back to them and they refused to do anything, since they checked the record on my job and swore that they did it right.

I think the next time I need an alignment, I'll look elsewhere.

15. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    it's not that you might get mugged there BUT I ASSURE You I have lived over that way on the nicer side of I-85 just a few miles away since I was 6, and my brother in law who is with the GBI showed me some interesting stats on that whole corridor...........IT IS A VERY BAD NEIGHBORHOOD and well known for Asian and Latino gang activity, period! Please no one call me a racist as I am just stating the info.

IMHO it's not that I would be worried about my personal safety as much as if you have a nice car and you pull up and see the building and surroundings....well it just does not lend itself to what your expectation might have been. And come on, that waiting room is no better than the MIDAS shop or any other gas station, what do they have ,like 2 -3 leatherette chairs.......at least the last time I was in there.

Like I said on my other post; they choose to be there b/c either they bought the property along time ago when things were nicer or the rent is cheap; to me, my image for my business is important but I see it has not hurt their business so good for them.

Call me a snob, I do not care, but if I am pulling up in a F car I am not wanting to be pulling up at the Holiday Inn.........check me in at the Ritz! just my .02cents

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have used GTE for over two decades on six Ferraris, several Porsche, a viper, three M5s and more and have always received great service. When I had new tires put of my BB512i, FoA sent it to GTE to have the tires mounted.

17. ButlerGuy

ButlerGuy Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Carson Z
    The only place to go is Butler Tire, but then again I might be a little biased. I'm the store manager out in Austell. If you live in the Alpharetta/Roswell area go see Geordie at our John's Creek Location. We specialize in high-end vehicles. We can handle the alignment and High-Speed on car balancing. Give Geordie a call 678-893-0502 and let him know Carson sent you.