Ferrari's at the Mitty | FerrariChat

Ferrari's at the Mitty

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by spirot, Apr 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hi All:

Every year we get an invite from the folks at the Mitty asking for Ferrari owners to come on out and play... but usually we only have a couple of cars.. so I'm posting here to see if we can get a few more folks to bring out the cars....

Not sure if we'll be offered anything special.. but its a nice vintage race/ car show... This year Brian Redman is the grand marshall, so we'll see if we can get him to do a Ferrari visit.... let me know here if you can attend.

BTW Walter Mitty Challenge is April 25-27 2014.

Cheers!

Tom

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll be there, but most likely on Friday only. (I certainly won't be there on Sunday - the annual Taste of Marietta is a must-do on my calendar!)

But what I want to see is more Ferraris on the track! Most recent Mittys have had few if any Ferraris actually racing. :mad:

3. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    We will have at least one Ferrari on track, though not the racing Ferrari that you are asking for Jim, sorry. :)

I am putting together a ride along package with the exotic drive experience, Velocity Motorsports, that normally operates at AMP. Thought it might be cool for people who normally don't get to ride in an exotic to experience it as a passenger at Road Atlanta during the Parade and Touring lap sessions. Think there would be interest?

We will have the F430 for sure with most likely the Gallardo and McLaren. If necessary for demand, we will bring the GT-R, Porsche or new Stingray and take them all out with passengers.

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    We will be there. My awesome wife bought us "VIP" tickets for my birthday. Probably not driving all that way in the 355, so won't be able to add to the Ferrari contingent. Would love to meet other area FChatters though.

I've never been to the Mitty, or Road Atlanta for that matter. Any tips or recommendations on what to do, things not to miss, best viewing locations, etc?

Also, what is the Taste of Marietta thing? That sounds like something (massive quantities of delicious food perhaps?) that may be right up my alley.

5. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    In my opinion nothing beats the view from the bridge (top of the hill) looking down towards the starting line on the first few laps, what a thrill. Then just cross over to the huge sitting section.

6. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Road Atlanta is an incredible track, so many fantastic spots to see the action. And you're allowed to go virtually anywhere except the hot pits, so you can see everything. The bridge over turn 11 is great to see the 10a/b passing zones (cars slowing down from the longest straight), and the intimidating turn 12 run to the start line. Going into the infield, standing inside turn 3 is probably the closest you'll get to the action and another great passing spot. The view from spectator hill looking down the esses is one of the best places on the track. And the hairpin turn 7 is also a great place to be close to the cars. I also like the back straight about mid-way, watching the faster cars accelerating at full power for a LONG time. The point is MOVE. Don't sit in the stands. A track the size of Road Atlanta just begs to be walked and enjoyed. Watch in once place for a while, then go somewhere else. You simply can't see "the race" from a single point, it's way too big.

Infield also has the vendors, food stands, you name it. And make sure you spend some time in the paddock. Participants in the Mitty are mostly amateurs and they usually like talking, so seeing what's going on is just fantastic.

Yeah I've spent a lot of time there.

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Do many people camp in the Road Atlanta camping or RV areas? I'm thinking that might be kind of cool to do for a night. Any local places that rent RV's?

8. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I plan on taking down the wine colored 550.

9. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Lots of people camp in the infield. For the bigger events like Petit Le Mans, it's a temporary town. I'm not sure how many camp the Mitty, but there will definitely be some. You'll have to buy an infield camping pass (and maybe an RV permit) and then find a spot, usually plenty of places for an RV. Although if you like tent camping, it's cheaper, easier and lots more spots to camp. Plenty of woods in the infield.

I hope to have the 308 there, replacing accessory belts and doing an oil change this weekend.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'll be there in mine