Exotics This Weekend at The Mitty | FerrariChat

Exotics This Weekend at The Mitty

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Tripper, Apr 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    We will have a few nice cars in our space down by the "Concours D'Lemons" at the end of vendor row toward Turn 1. Pair of Ferrari's (458 Spider and F430), pair of McLaren MP4-12C's, GT3 RS and new Stingray Z51.

Thought it would be a treat for some to have the opportunity to ride in these cars on the track at Road A. All cars, plus a handful of Lexus IS-F's, will be driven by our Velocity Motorsports instructors during the lunch time touring and parade lap sessions, Fri-Sun.

If you have guests that would enjoy, there is no age limit for these rides. We have already pre-booked a few, so reply or PM if interest.

We had the weekend off from our supercar experience based at Atlanta Motorsports Park, so what better place to be than driving on the other track in town! :)

2. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Awesome! My wife and I will be there Saturday and Sunday. We bought the VIP package tickets which I think include some kind of touring laps, but I am not sure on those details. Would love to take a ride in some of your cars as well....what do I need to do to get something booked?

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    damn! I was thinking of going but signed up for a shotgun training course instead. would have been nice to meet you.

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Hell, bring your guns and we'll shoot skeet in the infield! I'm sure they won't mind.

5. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    Reach out to Shawn at (678) 235-4737 for the schedule of cars/sessions still available. If you are bringing family, they can also ride together in the IS-F's.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I plan to be there on Saturday (with Ferrari). Hopefully there will be some parking available near your vendor space.

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Going to try and make it. I live very near road Atlanta

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'm there Fri and Sat

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    We are stopping by FoA in the morning to pick up some left over 355 parts I left there, then hopefully out to Road Atlanta before lunch. We ate at Canoe in Vinings tonight....gonna be hard for some fancy cars to top that! Yum!!

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Alright...we are here. Question for guys who have been here before: where are the best spots to watch the action from?

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I was up there today, who's 355 and yellow 348 spyder did I see?

12. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was in the Yellow spider, Vince C. was in the 355.

13. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #13 elgin328, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #15 Patek, Apr 27, 2014
  16. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #16 Patek, Apr 27, 2014
  17. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #17 Patek, Apr 27, 2014
  18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Bah. Too bad I missed you guys. I was there from about 11-2:45. Great seeing your cars though!

The event felt like it was half Porsche, half everything else. Good times anyway.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #19 Gatorrari, Apr 27, 2014
    I was there on Saturday, so the Ferrari lineup in the corral was a bit different. The other Italian cars were probably more interesting: how about a Monteverdi (yeah, I know, it's Swiss), a Ghia and an Iso side-by-side (along with a yellow Pantera)? Or a Fiat 600 that made a trek all the way from Argentina to Alaska?

And I did find one Ferrari "race car" in the outer paddock, but I didn't see it out on the track, though admittedly I did not watch every class race. Did anyone see that 360 in competition?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #20 Gatorrari, Apr 27, 2014
    There were a number of other interesting cars on the hill, including perhaps the first Edsel ever to do a lap of Road Atlanta! I found the Riley Elf interesting - basically a notchback Mini, though I wish the owner had been around to close the hood (excuse me, bonnet), so that I could shoot the car's fancy grille.

Then there's that last monstrosity - an art car based on an old diesel Rabbit, looking a bit like a wannabee Batmobile. At least Brian Redman was on hand to restore some civility to the proceedings!

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #21 Gatorrari, Apr 27, 2014
    I have a personal story about the McLaren M8F, which was probably the finest example of a McLaren team Can Am car that I have ever seen. I think that if either Bruce or Denny were still with us, they would have given it their unconditional approval.

In July 1971, when I was 18, I happened to be in downtown Atlanta, attending a hobby convention at the Hyatt Regency, the very weekend that the Can Am race was happening at Road Atlanta. And the convention basically wrapped up on Saturday, and my flight back to Miami wasn't until late on Sunday. So if I only had had a way to get out to the track, I might have witnessed my first ever motor race and seen this very car in action!

I appreciated the fact that the driver was wearing a helmet painted like Denny's. So maybe I was witnessing what I had missed 43 years earlier, since the McLaren ran off and hid from the rest of a pretty decent field of cars.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #22 Gatorrari, Apr 27, 2014
    The most historic car that was at the Mitty was probably this non-descript looking little car. It is the one and only March 693, the first car that March ever built! It was the only car that they built in 1969, prior to beginning their assault on F1 in 1970, supplying three teams (including Ken Tyrrell's) with the March 701.

The car was mainly driven by an up-and-coming Swede named Ronnie Peterson, who would drive one of those 701's the following year and finish second in the World Championship in 1971. He drove this car in two races, and another up-and-comer, a bloke named James Hunt, drove it in the other!

This car was probably being ignored by most people who saw it on Saturday, but I correctly guessed its identity as soon as I saw "Superswede's" name on it, and recognized its historical significance.

I'll post some more photos later in the week.

23. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    John, the pleasure was all ours giving Suzanne a ride on the track as part of our little 8 car convoy during the Touring session. We are guilty, taking out 2 McLaren's, but the Velocity logo decal was not yet applied to the white one. No worries, the Italians outnumbered the Brits with the 458 Italia, F430 Scuderia (gorgeous Nero) and F430 (yellow). :)

24. Thad1

Thad1 Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    NE GA
    Full Name:
    Sam Donaldson
    I saw all all of your cars but spent most of my time wrangling my 9 month old little boy along with some seriously wild little girls; 6 and 3. My wife just tagged along:) We were in the American Eagle above the grandstands at turn 10. Spent most of the time inside changing diapers but did get out to see some spectacular history. Our Ferrari did not make the trip with us but I got my necessary high by lusting after all the fantastic hardware on display and on the track.

We travel around in sporadic fashion to other tracks for events but we are at Road Atlanta fairly consistently as it's close to home. I tend to bring along far more than necessary so we always have extra food and "drink." I have leased spot #4 at the crossover for the Petit every year. Feel free to look us up and hang around for general fellowship. We drive Mercedes during the week, Ferrari on the weekends, and race Spec Miata when the mood hits so we're always talking cars and racing. My 6 year old girl is already begging for a cart so maybe you guys can help me talk her out of it.

Sam

25. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Thanks for all the historical info. on these significant cars, Jim. I want a signed copy when you decide to publish! Who knew?

Ciao,
    George