Garage restyle | FerrariChat

Garage restyle

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by BT, Jun 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #1 BT, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just finished fixing up the garages. Did a general cleaning, wall and ceiling patch, three color wall repaint, added wood wall protection where needed, changed the lighting out to high output fluorescent lighting, and did a multi day floor refinish. The floor had to be cleaned, oil removed, acid etched, power washed, binding primer applied, two color coats of epoxy, decorative flakes while second coat was wet, and two coats of clear protectant. Overall, it is nice, but about half the space I would want. When all the tools, firewood, cars, etc... go back in, the garages lose the clean look. I like the paint scheme, and the color flakes in the floor work with the wall colors. Total cost of materials for doing two garages of about 750 s.f. total was about $700. I still need to add the car posters, etc..., but the messy work is done.

This Seal Crete 1 part epoxy is kind of dull, and lots of work. The top coat adds a little shine, but not much. I definitely prefer the look of the snap together tiles I had in Florida, but this only cost about $300 for 750 s.f. of floor material, and the cheap version of the floor tiles would have been around $1700 or so. Time will tell if this holds up.

I was thinking if there are any local Fchatters looking to redo their garage it might be a fun weekend thing to do once the heat subsides a bit (maybe September or October). I would be glad to lend a hand, and I think it would be a fun way to help each other out and get to know more local car guys.

:)
    BT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    That's a lot of work and I am sure you will enjoy!

3. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks good. I'm doing this project right now. Acid bath yesterday, applying first coat of epoxy covering later today. Hope mine turns out as well as yours! Only 420 sq ft for me though. :(

4. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Looks fantastic. Got any before pics?

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #5 BT, Jun 21, 2014
  6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #6 BT, Jun 21, 2014
  7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Define "local"...because I think Charleston, SC is "local" :) Come on up!!

8. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Bill.....Now time for a Lift-Assembly-Project. (And before you say it... my ceiling is only
    9'10" tall. I had my door track modified with a 36" arch and pulled the opener so it hugs the ceiling). Easy fit for a small/large car combo.

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Bob, I had an awesome lift in Florida, and I would love to have on here too. I don't think the wife would be too keen on me buying one at the moment (I would probably have to get a job first).

BT

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

bill, that looks very nice!! I would love to have things is such nice order and finish!!!

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #11 spirot, Jun 23, 2014
  12. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    On our last house we had the Epoxy floor installed (we used Garage Tek) and the floor still looked new 10 years later. No "redoing" the floors every few years. On our new house we used Granite Garage Floors and the result was just amazing and it will last as long as I live here. It is a bit more expensive (budget about 1k for every space, so a typical 2 car garage will be about 2k), but it lasts forever and you dont have to worry about doing the prep work correctly, just a thought!

13. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    BT; Nice garage, but what goes in it?

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #14 BT, Jun 24, 2014
    Nothing too exciting, unfortunately. I drive an S2000, and my daughter drives a Honda Insight. In the small garage my wife parks her Camry... The S2000 is pretty fun to drive, it just is rarely scary. I did almost catch some air yesterday on a local mountain road with a nice crest though, that was a bit of a surprise.

The general plan is to get a job and save some money for 3-4 years. We purchased a lot and would build a great cabin on it with a tall 2 car garage. The following year I would get something fun to drive again (maybe a 360 spider).

Attached is the view from our lot.

BT

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Lovely. I suppose North GA Blue Ridge?

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #16 BT, Jun 24, 2014
    Just across the state line north of Blairsville. Nice little neighborhood of about 100 homes. This lot is on the south side of the ridge with about 10 feet of elevation above it to help knock down the cold north winds. The elevation is not super high (about 2500 feet) but the views are pretty impressive in person. I figured better to get the lot now while the prices are still good. You never know, the economy could improve in the next 10-20 years!

We considered lots all over the area from Blue Ridge to Murphy, but the Blue ridge lots seemed considerably more expensive for similar views. I also don't like how popular that town is for when I want to get away. There was another lot closer to Murphy that had awesomer views, but the cost and the lack of successful septic installs worried me a bit. The general maintenance of the steep roads to get to these lots is also a very important consideration, and the place we bought seemed to have the best upkeep in general.

There is a cabin about four lots up with the same exposure and the views are better after the build when you are on the deck. We expect a similar view to this when we are done.

BT

17. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    I really like the view and the s 2000 is a nice car. Had a 300 z convertible, now a 95 348 spider. Top down driving in the country is wonderful. Enjoy.

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I used to own a 348TS. It was a great car. I would love to get back into Ferrari ownership one of these days.

BT