YOU can drive the high banks! | FerrariChat

YOU can drive the high banks!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jul 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In May 2011, I took advantage of an offer to drive my Ferrari on the high banks of Talladega Superspeedway, as part of an effort to raise money for the American Red Cross for Alabama tornado relief. Even though I never got much above 100 MPH, it was still a blast, and the sort of thing every owner of a Ferrari (or similar car) should do. I look at the photo and somehow it reminds me of that Ferrari 1-2-3 finish at Daytona in 1967.

Well, now the opportunity presents itself again, on July 26, for one day only. I'll pass this time, but if you haven't done this before, consider doing it. It's for a good cause, and you'll be glad you did it. (And if you're like me, you'll tour the museum adjacent to the track as long as you are there.)

Lucky Dog: Want to drive your car around Talladega Superspeedway?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Sounds like fun, except the part "limited to highway speeds". I can do that on my street.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Yeah, Stephane, but on a 33-degree banking? It's like driving on the inside of a giant salad bowl.

When I went, they took about 12 cars out at a time, which on a 2.66-mile track meant that everyone got spread out in a hurry. Before long I didn't see the car in front of me or the one behind, and I probably could have gone at least 110.

And you won't have to be looking over your shoulder for a traffic cop!

4. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    That's good, because going around highway speeds on these banks wouldn't be safe at all. 110+ would be more appropriate.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I know what you mean! I first got up to 90, and the car felt like it wanted to slide down the banking. Speed up to 100, and it felt well "planted" in the middle lane. The car certainly felt like it wanted to go faster (of course, it's a Ferrari!) but the driver was "pollo"!

One reason the cars might have been as spread out as they were was that the Jeep Wrangler driver who was in front of me got cold feet almost immediately and pulled off. I guess he felt like the Jeep was going to tip over!

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And I wasn't the only Ferrari doing it that day. I saw a 308 on the track in the next run group, so I waited for it to come in. It turned out to be Branko Medenica from Birmingham. We exchanged pleasantries and then went inside together to buy our on-track photos.

If you have any reservation, fuhgeddaboudit! Just do it; you'll have fun (at any speed) and it's for a good cause.

7. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    LOL! A jeep on that track would not be smart.

8. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    There are a number of HPDE events where you can take your car up on the banks as fast as you'd like. Just Track It has days at Atlanta Motor Speedway and Talladega for reasonable prices (justtrackit.net). They utilize some of the banks as well as the in-field course. Would be great to see some F-cars there!

9. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Sounds like fun!!

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Jim isn't kidding.

I did the same event and actually chickened out a little in the banking and dove down some on the first approach. It is just not anything like you think it is until you are driving it - you would swear there is no way you won't roll over the first time your on it.

I was fine on the second one. Lot of fun. I was in the Scirocco and I had my speedometer needle all the way down past the 100 mark (the max on the dial) and had it resting on the trip clear pin at 6:00. :D

It is not the original speedometer, I have a different transmission with a different speedometer gear screwed on it and different size wheels and tires so who knows how fast I was going but I do know it can hit the trip reset button if I want it too!

I'm gonna go this thing in a couple of weeks in the 308. It is worth it just for the picture and I am not even a NASCAR fan

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Sounds fun! Do they take the photo like that as part of the event?

12. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Sounds like an Fchat get together. What time are you planning to arrive?

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    yep!

14. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I agree. I would do it just for the picture alone. Looks very cool.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember, they charge $10 extra for the photo, but there wasn't a single person there who wasn't getting one, and the $10 goes for charity as well.

They actually take photos on 2 or 3 of your laps and you get to choose which one to get printed out.

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It's on my calendar for sure!

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  18. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #18 andy308, Jul 26, 2014
    My friend Joe and I got up early and headed to Alabama to drive Talladega, of course we stopped by Waffle House first since this is the South and due to the fact that I forgot to account for the 1 hour time difference so we had plenty of time.

Even after breakfast we still arrived at about 8:30am and found ourselves second in line behind a nice bunch of kids and their Mustang. After a few minutes Mike from Huntsville pulled up in his 308 so 2/3's of the cars were Ferrari's. We waited a few more minutes until 9am and a 4th car pulled in behind Mike (a camaro if I remember corectly), we all paid our 50 bucks and onto the track we went.

It has been a few years since I drove this track and you forget just how steep a 33 degree banking is until you drive it, just insane! Since there were only 4 of us on that initial group I was able to let the Mustang get out ahead of me and then get up to 120mph or so.

It was a great time far a good cause and then we headed back to Atlanta to enjoy the rest of the day. I will try to post up some video we took as well.

19. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #19 andy308, Jul 26, 2014
  20. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
  21. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #21 Mike C, Jul 26, 2014
    Great video! And you didn't lose me... I let you get ahead so I had plenty of room :)

I hit 115 on the straight, but I only had the guts to carry it at 100 on that steep bank!

22. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Great to meet you today Mike. Glad you got her up into triple digits! 

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Yeah, like I said, it's kinda like driving on the inside of the world's biggest salad bowl, right?

Way to go, guys! I love the video. And you had fun being charitable! I rather wish other tracks, like Atlanta Motor Speedway, would do likewise.