Photos - The alternative to "C&O": | FerrariChat

Photos - The alternative to "C&O":

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jul 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I pulled out of my space at "Caffeine & Octane" at about 8:30 (I had already been there for over two hours!), made the right turn onto Windward, and headed to the "other" first-Sunday-morning car gathering. Considering that I've been recommending it, it would have seemed hypocritical of me not to make an appearance.

It took about 15 minutes, via Old Milton Pkwy/Rucker Rd, Hardscrabble Rd, and 92, and even at around 8:45, there was still some parking (what a concept!). But the show was well attended, in spite of the cross-town competition.

Officially the show is called the "Road Runner Cruise-In" and it is sponsored by a group called the ROMEOs (Retired Old Men Eating Out!). The rule is no cars less than 25 years old, which results in a rather different crowd than "C&O", but, as you can see, no less eclectic. I mean - a Crosley next to a 2CV? But yet, once again, I had the only Ferrari on the premises.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #3 Gatorrari, Jul 10, 2014
    The first car in this group, a '63 Ford Fairlane, has a bit of special meaning for me, since my dad owned '62 and '64 Fairlanes, so I did a lot of riding around in a car just like this one. And as you can see, a gorilla was guarding it!

The large Lincoln Mark III invites comparison with the diminuitive MG Midget parked alongside. It looked like the Midget could almost have fit in the Lincoln's trunk!

I probably should have asked questions about the Allard, but I suspect that it's a modern reproduction. (If I'm wrong, please correct me.) It was Chevy-powered, by the way.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #4 Gatorrari, Jul 10, 2014
    I'll close with two cars of particular interest. The first is a little car called the Arcturus which was converted from a rather beat-up Fiat 600. It was featured in two recent issues of the "Microcar News".

The second is a particularly nice Plymouth Road Runner, appropriate considering the official name of this gathering. I had never seen a side stripe that, on closer examination, turned out to be the Road Runner's dust trail, running much of the length of the car! And, of course, it had the requisite Beep Beep horn, which the owner was glad to demonstrate.

On the way home, I happened to encounter a kindred spirit waiting to turn left onto East Piedmont Road, so I did a "grab shot" through the Ferrari's windshield!

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This Sunday, if you get up too late for "C&O", try this show instead. If you're bringing a car, it should be 25 years old or older, but anyone is free to come spectate!

(I won't be there; I'll be with my dad down in Florida.)

5. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Thanks Jim,

Beautifully detailed photos as always!

Ciao,
    George