AMP 10 Hour Kart Endurance Race | FerrariChat

AMP 10 Hour Kart Endurance Race

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by FastLapp, Sep 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    There is a 10 hr endurance race at the AMP Kart track October 18-19. I would like to do it but need a race partner. Goal is just to have fun, not necesarily be competitive. Anyone here interested?

Details:
    3. Endurance Karting 10 Hours @ AMP

2. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    This is tempting... You looking to field a two person team or more?

3. redciv1

redciv1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2008
    I since the Covington Kart track opened, I haven't been up to AMP since Feb. However I did get to run the full track and it was really nice. How many members and what kind of skill level are you? I am purely for fun and not competive 6"0, 238lbs.

4. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I was thinking two person team but am open to doing three as well.

I have some experience but not too much. I raced karts for two years as a teenager. Other than that, have done the Bertil Roos 5 day Race School (formula cars) and a handful of HPDEs in my street car. I've driven the car track at AMP but not the kart track.

Probably need to register by 9/18 to reserve a spot, so let me know what you think. If things go well, maybe we can field a Ferrarichat team at the 24 hour race at Daytona in January! ;)

5. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    @RedCiv1 - minimum driver weight is 200lbs (ballast added for underweight drivers), so you wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would be interested in a 4 memeber team. I've been at AMP kart Track - I try to go as much as possible - its a thrilling track, but for 10 hours - it would take it out of you!

I'm Ecole Winfield, Skip Barber, Jim Russell and a bunch of FCA and BMWCCA track days ... and some F- Renault France experience ... but that was 20 + years ago.

If you have not been on the Kart track - it is AMAZING fun. WAY better than the car track. the public karts are not that spectacular but fun, the enduro karts will be quicker.. you will definatly need a neck support, and rib protector.

7. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Bump...still looking for 2 other drivers. PM me if interested.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hey all:
    We have a Team for the 10 hour race... Scuderia FCA... so hoping you local guys can come out and cheer us on...

Scuderia FCA :

James Lapp
    Tom Spiro
    Flip ( Brian) Crane
    Jason Humphrey

so Hope to see ya'll out there we;re racing in the BB ( Big boy class) .... for 10 hours!!! starts at 8:30 Am on Sunday the 19th goes to 6 Pm. So come on out!!!!!!! bring your Ferrari in support!

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    So the actual race is on Sunday, not Saturday?

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    tangent, but I'd love to hear your experiences in racing, particularly Formula Renault. you should start a thread in "other racing" about it :)

good luck in the kart race!

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    thanks !

unfortunatly F- Renault was not actually a successful venture -fun, yes, but stressful ... the one thing I learned ( actually 3 things ):

1. I needed to find something else to do professionally
    2. Being fast and a winner are differnet... you need big balls, and luck to win - mostly balls
    3. Money- bring a ton of it and - more than you ever think you will need, and dont be suprised that its gone in a flash.

favorite Circuit:
    Pau
    Least favorite
    Djion

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    yes: race is on Sunday - practice and Quali on Saturday starting at 4... weigh in at 1 and they are having racing school on Sat AM.

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #13 spirot, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Results:

Team Scuderia FCA - 2nd in Class - 8th overall.

With 10 hours of racing - the winners were only 15 seconds ahead of us.

I was by far the "biggest boy" of them all...

Thanks to our ace drivers

James Lapp

Jason Humphries

and Flip ( Brian ) Crane

I have to say this was a super FUN DAY totally worth it, and the racing was real, clean and safe..( save for a wheel that came off our cart!..)

the race came down to Fuel strategy - and how to pace lap times. at one point we were in overall 2nd place with a shot at being on the main podium... but its hard to beat 15year olds!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats! Sounds like a blast!

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #15 spirot, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    GREAT race! Incredible that after 10 hours of driving and on different fuel strategies, only 15 seconds separated first and second. Lots of fun and a great group of racers. I'm definitely feeling it today!

Hope to do it again next year.

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I felt great this morning ... but sadly now fading fast... time for a nappy nap!

18. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    Fantastic Tom. Impressed!

19. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    Hi Tom, its Brian Skeoch who is the father of Adam Skeoch who raced yesterday against you guys. It was a great race. you guys had a great plan of a fuel strategy. that was a close close close race and FUN.

hope you guys can race in the series that runs a 12 race series broken out by GT and big boy class. Adam raced in that series all summer and it was a ball.

Nice to catch up with you and Andy Gilberg yesterday. Flip always races in the weekly series as well.

nice seeing you guys again.

20. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    great race indeed. my 14 year old son had to add 90 pounds to himself and his kart to meet the class weight limit. we had a lead weight vest on him and we added 50 pounds to the kart. it was heavy but he still clicked off a fast race lap.

fun fun fun

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was the slowest of the group... sadly... James and Jason were the rabbits... I was the Turtle...

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Next year - I want to do it next week!

23. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    Brian Skeoch's son teamed with David Muraly's son and was first in class.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The kids were flying... and very good drivers, no bumping clean passes impressive.

the kids were getting their heads down into full aero positions drafting ... not sure if it works but looked cool!

25. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    and our team had to all weigh up to 220 pounds. there was only 1 kid on our team and my son had to add 90 pounds to his kart.