New Giovanni's---Maybe? | FerrariChat

New Giovanni's---Maybe?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by CharlesE, Sep 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    Some of us old Giovanni car show/gathering guys want to resurrect a new monthly event and see if it can happen again. For those who remember Giovanni's, it pulled in mostly Euro sports cars, Cobra's, NSX's, Vett's etc. The best part it was laid back....no pop ups, no vendors and minimal ego's. People from Alabama, and south Atlanta would drive up for it.

A new upscale pub in Roswell, called OTP, has a great potential for a monthly get together. OTP is located with a large parking lot, open bar with deck that over looks the parking lot so we can keep an eye on our cars. The owner is real excited to have a monthly car event as he is also a car guy. The first event will be this coming Saturday at 5:00 . This may conflcit withs some going to the Redeemer show this week (hence the later start), but we wanted to try and put it back to the 3rd Saturday of the month (as Giovanni's was).

OTP is located off GA 400 and Exit 7, east about 2 blocks on the right in the LA Fitness shopping center.

OTP
    1475 Holcomb Bridge Rd
    Roswell, GA 30076

OTP Tap & Grill - Roswell, GA | Yelp

2. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    You'll need a dedicated champion to gather the troops each month. :) Often difficult, but rewarding when the real car people show up, even if it's just a small gathering. Worth the effort if you're up for it. I gave it a couple of tries a couple years ago at where the old Giovanis was located, now Cheeseburger Bobbies and then again at a Mexican Restaurant Keso and Cuban Restaurant Palomillas in Johns Creek. Perhaps OTP will be a more ceentral and accsesable location?
    JD

3. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    Jeff you made a great effort to get it back going. I and a few others keep running into some of the old Gio's crowd and we all say we need to resurect it, so this is my attempt.

Rick R., Brian S., and i checked it out last Saturday and thought it could work. Sal the owner said he could post it on Facebook and his website.

Maybe the location is better, food more appealing, and more people will come? i dont know but its worth another shot.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll pass on it this week in favor of First Redeemer, but I'll definitely consider it for future months.

5. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    Hope others can make it. Think we may have about 10 so far.

6. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    Will have to pass on this Sat, have music to hear !

7. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    Garth Brooks or music midtown?

8. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    too bad you can't stop by Jim.

If you look on their Facebook site, there is picture posted of your 328, my 930, and Ricks's old Lambo. They wanted a picture to post so i gave them one from an old GA Tech car show. Hope you don't mind your 328 is in it.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm guessing that I took most, if not all, of those photos. Yeah, that was a glorious time, probably never to be repeated, no matter how hard we try.

By the way, Jeff, did Keso close? It looked that way when I went by that way on 141 a couple of weeks ago.

10. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    These were my shots. Taken on a Nikon 880 I had back then.

Keso has shut down their Johns Creek location and have moved to Cumming. I haven't been there as of yet.

JD

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #12 Gatorrari, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My apologies, Jeff. I think we both took pretty much the same shots!

I did make it over there after the First Redeemer show, arriving around 6:10. I found a line of mostly Lotuses and Porsches, but found a Fiat to park next to. There were some late arrivals that I didn't photograph, including several more Porsches and Rick's Aston Martin.

I got to sit at the end of a long high-top table and was able to watch the Gators get run over by a bunch of red elephants from 'Bama. (The score went from 21-21 to 42-21 while I was watching.) As I had had the church's free hot-dog dinner, I wasn't hungry, but did have a piece of key lime pie before leaving. The location on Old Alabama Road was ideal, since I was able to go back to Marietta without having to get on a freeway.

I still don't think that we can match Giovanni's there, but we can certainly try!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    This was the first shot at it and seems there were about 12 cars there it was more than I expected. Will it be the same as the old days I don't know but that is the gold standard. Talking to the Porsche guys who said they would do it again and others who could not make it for one reason or the other I hope it gets traction. The owner is posting / promoting it on Facebook. The location seems good. Jeff took a shot at it and now I am. Everyone loved the Gios gathering......hope it works.

13. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Charles...Great effort... I will make the one next month as-well.

14. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    man, those Giovanni pics are great. hard to believe that we were able to fit that many cars in that location. I remember once the fire dept coming and we all got worried that we would be shut down due to the number of cars and many of us blocking the fire lane but they were just stopping by to look at the cars.

I remember too when a police officer came and again we all got worried then I suggested that the officer use his night stick on Rick as I pointed to him.. he just laughed.,. thank god.

we need to get a Giovanni's going again. Rick speaks to Vinny sometimes and the new Giovanni location is by the Gwinette center and he welcomes everyone back. BUT, its a small lot and there wouldn't be the same feel as the old spot.

Brian Skeoch
    Lotus Esprit Turbo / Lotus Elan Turbo

15. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    4 posts, not a bad start, Brian! ;)

Ciao,
    George

16. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    Hi George !! I have been off F chat for a while and forgot my password so I had to sign up again.